Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Ive ridden my flying manta 3 days in a row now, in waves I wouldnt have normally paddled out in. So much fun. The speed in small flat waves is ridiculous.

I liked it so much I grabbed a von sol seabird off craigslist. I bought it from someone's wife who said her husband had just purchased a few dark arts albums. I suspect they lurk here somewhere..

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 2.12.44 PM.png

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Im not totally sure, but it feels pretty similar to the manta. oceanslide gave a ride report many pages back. He said it could turn slightly better but didnt grovel quite as well. My manta is 5'5 x 21 3/4 x 2 3/4 and the seabird is 5'7 x 21 7/8 x 2 3/4.

@Oceanslide is this the same 5'7 you surfed a few years back?

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Im not totally sure, but it feels pretty similar to the manta. oceanslide gave a ride report many pages back. He said it could turn slightly better but didnt grovel quite as well. My manta is 5'5 x 21 3/4 x 2 3/4 and the seabird is 5'7 x 21 7/8 x 2 3/4.

Is the 2 3/4 foiled out? or is it super floaty

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA

Long time ago, but yeah, it was Sean’s carbon Seabird when he was riding smaller boards than I was. Still super fun and playful, but I’d prob go an inch or two longer than a Manta if you want similar grovel.

Reactions: cbadsurfer

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
Ive ridden my flying manta 3 days in a row now, in waves I wouldnt have normally paddled out in. So much fun. The speed in small flat waves is ridiculous.

I liked it so much I grabbed a von sol seabird off craigslist. I bought it from someone's wife who said her husband had just purchased a few dark arts albums. I suspect they lurk here somewhere..

View attachment 142239
havoc's sloppy thirds are magic...makes me chuckle whenever I see that hole in the pad and the von "sold"!

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Long time ago, but yeah, it was Sean’s carbon Seabird when he was riding smaller boards than I was. Still super fun and playful, but I’d prob go an inch or two longer than a Manta if you want similar grovel.
Cool, the seabird I got is 2 inches longer but 1/8 wider than my manta. Do you recall what fins you used in it? Did you use the nubster? I have the fiberglass von knight quad and honeycomb stilettos now.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
1678577461537.png
Which one of you fools used to own this one? It's a 5'8. I just picked it up off CL in Encinitas. Guy I bought it from said he was the second owner. Small inside sandbars have left me wanting one of these speed demons again. Plus, going to WACO for 3 days in May (driving through). Might be a good option from everything that I've heard.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
Oh My! This board goes so good. I'm approaching 55, and this board makes me feel young again. So much speed and maneuverability. It's really nice riding a shorter board again. This is my 3rd Manta, but it's been some years since I've ridden one. I especially like the pointed nose. I know is aesthetics, and doesn't do anything vs than the squared one, but it just feels good. If you still have one of these in you quiver and haven't ridden it in a while, Give it a go. Best board purchase in a while!

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Oh My! This board goes so good. I'm approaching 55, and this board makes me feel young again. So much speed and maneuverability. It's really nice riding a shorter board again. This is my 3rd Manta, but it's been some years since I've ridden one. I especially like the pointed nose. I know is aesthetics, and doesn't do anything vs than the squared one, but it just feels good. If you still have one of these in you quiver and haven't ridden it in a while, Give it a go. Best board purchase in a while!
Love hearing this. I'm all excited to ride mine now. Haven't in a month or so.

Reactions: JDJ
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
My manta hit some rocks on the inside the other day :(

My VS seabird - pointy nose, swallow tail, fuller rail manta - is my best purchase in a while. So slippery fast and draws the tightest fastest arcs even on the smallest ripple. My only complaint is its easy to get too much speed that is hard to wipe off. Love that board.
Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 12.06.41 PM.png

• Sad
Reactions: MathDebater

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
It’s been a long time since I’ve surfed mine. Hell, it’s been a long time since I’ve surfed at all! Need to rekindle the love. Stoked for you, G!

Reactions: sizzld1

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
My manta hit some rocks on the inside the other day :(

My VS seabird - pointy nose, swallow tail, fuller rail manta - is my best purchase in a while. So slippery fast and draws the tightest fastest arcs even on the smallest ripple. My only complaint is its easy to get too much speed that is hard to wipe off. Love that board.
View attachment 150508
VS seabird?! I need!!

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
not gonna lie getting boards from sean is a real pleasure. Have been thinking about getting fishy and that video might have sold me on the next one...Genius middle aged marketing plan there.