Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
honestly I could surf my manta 90% of the time around here and probably should...forget the 14 other boards
It's pretty amazing how my quiver has changed multiple times over the years but my OG Manta remains. I need a new one SOON! My buddy and I are planning a trip down to see Mr. Mattison soon!
Best small wave board ever. And FYI, I've been surfing it with Album's Fascination quad set plus nubster and it's even better both backside and frontside...for me at least.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Oh, and as far as finding a next one up board from the Manta, it's super early to tell, but my Trimcraft Will's Fish might just be it.
I YOLO'd one a few weeks back and only surfed it once in crap waves but I could feel it's potential. More to come when waves pick up.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I love twin fin mini simmons boards and the erbb hype has me wanting a manta.can you run twins in the boxes where they are placed on stock boards? Was thinking something in between up rights and keels.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
I love twin fin mini simmons boards and the erbb hype has me wanting a manta.can you run twins in the boxes where they are placed on stock boards? Was thinking something in between up rights and keels.
Fairly certain the Manta quad fin placement is a bit further up than standard but I may be mistaken. As far as twin fins go I'm really liking the Britt Merrick twin fin. Nice blend of upright and keel. I could see that working in a Manta if you wanted to go that route. I'm LOVING the Album Fascination quad set and nub in my manta. Made an amazing board even better IMO.
Opened up another gear on it.

Reactions: Havoc and toowalled

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Boxes are too far forward to run as a strictly twin fin. Would be loose AF, imo.
You can also get a Rayzer, which is a twinzer version, and can run as a straight twin or twin/trailer.

Reactions: pagey

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
my new pointy nosed manta came with a new fin setup. Quad - big fronts with custom tabbed rears so they are way forward than normal. goes insane. Have ridden it with the regular manta quad setup from my other board and it goes well but the new setup feels way closer to a twin imo...new manta closeup.JPG

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
my new pointy nosed manta came with a new fin setup. Quad - big fronts with custom tabbed rears so they are way forward than normal. goes insane. Have ridden it with the regular manta quad setup from my other board and it goes well but the new setup feels way closer to a twin imo...View attachment 126236
My new 5150 has this set up can't wait to try Stretch said Dylan Graves and Miky Picon helped develope this when they wanted to ride 5150 as twin. I am not sure yet exact fin placement "has not arrived" but Dylan and Stretch told me front fins 10" with back up from normal quad set up. I plan on using FU 2win twin set front and FU S#1 rears :shaka:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
my new pointy nosed manta came with a new fin setup. Quad - big fronts with custom tabbed rears so they are way forward than normal. goes insane. Have ridden it with the regular manta quad setup from my other board and it goes well but the new setup feels way closer to a twin imo...View attachment 126236

Looks fun. Have you moved the rear fin into the rear box? If so, did you notice any difference?

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
My buddy is selling his. Other than a small ding on nose that occurred during shipping the board is mint.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Late to answer these questions but Mini sim, manta, then fling is my small wave quiver. They’re all different enough without overlap. The mini works for soft log waves. The Manta is essentially a thinner foiled version of the mini, and works in better shaped waves around waist high. Any bigger and I start to grab the fling which has surprising upper range.

Ive had my OG Manta for years and it’s beat to hell, but it’s still kicking. Thinking about getting another. Anybody know what they’re going for these days? PM me if that’s not a question that should be asked in a public forum.