Moving San Diego

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
It's officially happening, I'm leaving Oahu for San Diego this spring. I'm bummed to be leaving, but my girlfriend is born and raised there and we're tired of doing long distance. It doesn't make sense for her to come out here, so I'm going there.

Anyway, question time. I know next to nothing about SD, or the surf there.

1.) What's a good zone to base out of? She's pretty keen on Encinitas area, but aren't there waves all over the place?
2.) What's an ideal quiver for SD waves? I'm planning to bring my keel fin fish, twinsman, and a 6'0" Nautilus. Should I bring my hpsb, and any of my NS stepups or guns?
3.) Good shapers or shops to get in touch with? I've got a couple Christensons, but I don't really know of many other SD shapers.
4.) What's the deal with seasons there? Are there waves year-round? Do people own multiple wetsuits?
5.) Best Mexican food?

Cheers
All these questions could be made moot by simply finding a local wahine.

Reactions: keenfish

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Closest ting to Hawaiian waves will be Blacks and Imperial Beach sometimes.

Still
Hawaii pumps
CA lumbers and dumps

The surf and crowds are what they are, good luck getting used to it after the sequence you posted up of yourself at Sunset.
That sequence was my first thought when I saw his post that he was moving. I chuckled to myself and thought "Poor guy..." :roflmao: :toilet:

Judging by that other thread, @casa_mugrienta will rent out his carport.
Funny you should mention it.

I have a rectangular storage area directly above him.

It's about 3.5 ft tall and 24 sq ft.

I put it up on Craigslist as a room for rent , just as a joke. $500/mo. Replies from people who actually wanting to live in the thing started pouring in. I felt terrible and pulled the ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
80 - 90% of the waves north of Blacks are pretty soft. Funboards, longboards, fat fishes rule the day.
IB and sometimes Coronado can be pretty polluted. Thanks, TJ!!
Pee-Bee, Emm-Bee, and Oh-Bee are full of urban problems, surfers, and average waves.
Traffic everywhere is brutal.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you want to surf big Blacks in winter, bring a step up. You need a 4/3 and boots in winter. Water is 57 right now. North county has one real wave besides Trestles and its a beachbreak on camp Pendleton. The rest is weak soft mush for the sissy liberal queers.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
It's officially happening, I'm leaving Oahu for San Diego this spring. I'm bummed to be leaving, but my girlfriend is born and raised there and we're tired of doing long distance. It doesn't make sense for her to come out here, so I'm going there.

Anyway, question time. I know next to nothing about SD, or the surf there.

1.) What's a good zone to base out of? She's pretty keen on Encinitas area, but aren't there waves all over the place?
2.) What's an ideal quiver for SD waves? I'm planning to bring my keel fin fish, twinsman, and a 6'0" Nautilus. Should I bring my hpsb, and any of my NS stepups or guns?
3.) Good shapers or shops to get in touch with? I've got a couple Christensons, but I don't really know of many other SD shapers.
4.) What's the deal with seasons there? Are there waves year-round? Do people own multiple wetsuits?
5.) Best Mexican food?

Cheers
My advice, get close to the coast so you have an easy outlet for when the waves suck but you need to get wet. The types of days where the hassle with parking would be enough of a buzz kill to say fug it.

1) If the lady aint happy, nobodies happy. You could do much worse than Encinitas. Fark we are a "Welcoming city",

From the city website:
"The century-old Downtown 101 coastal shopping district features historic architecture, quaint shops, sidewalk cafes, specialty retail stores and upscale restaurants.

Encinitas is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in California and is known for its excellent surfing conditions. Each year, surfers from all over gather in Encinitas to compete in local surfing tournaments. The San Elijo Lagoon Reserve boasts the largest coastal wetland in San Diego County and is home to nearly 300 different bird species throughout the year.

San Diego Botanical Gardens, complete with an Amazon Rainforest, showcases the largest display of bamboo in the world, while the gardens of the Self Realization Center offer spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean in a serene garden-like setting.

Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf at the Encinitas Ranch Golf Course, a championship 18 hole, par 72 course with panoramic ocean views. This public facility has five tees and facilitates golfers at all skill-levels.

The warm California sunshine provides for year-round enjoyment of our beautiful parks, beaches and trails and makes Encinitas a spectacular place to live, work, visit and raise a family."

2) The others covered this quite well. Coming from the NS, you can consider all of NCSD as Waikiki level surf. Some little zones better than others.

3) Encinitas right? Go hang out at Burch's shack, MacNabb lives almost next door. Boar selection should be no problem.

4) Some one gave a good description. Fake summer in the fall, south winds in the spring, cloudy mornings and evenings in the summer. Yes, waves year round. And flat year round also.

5) Best Mexican food, them's fightin words. A real restaurant, Encinitas? Try La Especial Norte

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
didn't they recently pass a law that people from N county aren't aloud to travel south of the 56 anymore?
come north of carmel valley and see what happens.

one positive of working in the area of the clusterfuck is that you have the freedom to live just about anywhere in the county - the commute will be the same from all directions

Reactions: SD_Dan and Havoc

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What kind of rent are you going to pay, say in the Stone Steps area between Neptune and PCH?

• Haha
Reactions: bluengreen

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yikes!

In the 70's you could rent a 4br house a block from the stairs at Stone Steps between 4 marginally to unemployed surfers.
My buddy lived there and I lived behind the 7/11 in Cardiff, cannot imagine how much that would cost today.