Moving San Diego

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
It's officially happening, I'm leaving Oahu for San Diego this spring. I'm bummed to be leaving, but my girlfriend is born and raised there and we're tired of doing long distance. It doesn't make sense for her to come out here, so I'm going there.

Anyway, question time. I know next to nothing about SD, or the surf there.

1.) What's a good zone to base out of? She's pretty keen on Encinitas area, but aren't there waves all over the place?
2.) What's an ideal quiver for SD waves? I'm planning to bring my keel fin fish, twinsman, and a 6'0" Nautilus. Should I bring my hpsb, and any of my NS stepups or guns?
3.) Good shapers or shops to get in touch with? I've got a couple Christensons, but I don't really know of many other SD shapers.
4.) What's the deal with seasons there? Are there waves year-round? Do people own multiple wetsuits?
5.) Best Mexican food?

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: averagejoe

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
It's officially happening, I'm leaving Oahu for San Diego this spring. I'm bummed to be leaving, but my girlfriend is born and raised there and we're tired of doing long distance. It doesn't make sense for here to come out here, so I'm going there.

1.) What's a good zone to base out of? She's pretty keen on Encinitas area, but aren't there waves all over the place?
2.) What's an ideal quiver for SD waves? I'm planning to bring my keel fin fish, twinsman, and a 6'0" Nautilus. Should I bring my hpsb, and any of my NS stepups or guns?
3.) Good shapers or shops to get in touch with? I've got a couple Christensons, but I don't really know of many other SD shapers.
4.) What's the deal with seasons there? Are there waves year-round? Do people own multiple wetsuits?
5.) Best Mexican food?

Cheers
1.) Expensive and crowded. Cool place. All over the place is between Trestles and Ensenada.
2.) Stepups and guns won't get much use. Bring a stepup for Blacks and buy a longboard.
3.) Bird. Start there.
4.) I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hate fvckin cold water.
5.) Tijuana.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Welcome, Vanryss!

Inserted comments below.

It's officially happening, I'm leaving Oahu for San Diego this spring. I'm bummed to be leaving, but my girlfriend is born and raised there and we're tired of doing long distance. It doesn't make sense for her to come out here, so I'm going there.

1.) What's a good zone to base out of? She's pretty keen on Encinitas area, but aren't there waves all over the place? Waves all over. Encinitas is surf yuppy and surf hipster capital of socal. Scenic, good food, crowded. Depends on what you're into culture wise. Mostly soft waves with a few exceptions. 20-25 min to Blacks if you want that kind of juice.
2.) What's an ideal quiver for SD waves? I'm planning to bring my keel fin fish, twinsman, and a 6'0" Nautilus. Should I bring my hpsb, and any of my NS stepups or guns? That's a great quiver already. As far as HPSB and guns, I think it depends on where you plan on surfing. I'm afraid you'll need to get settled in before making that decision. To start, a gun that gets you into the well overhead range would be a good start. you can get by on hbsb days on your twinsman if you have to.
3.) Good shapers or shops to get in touch with? I've got a couple Christensons, but I don't really know of many other SD shapers. TONS of shapers. Based on what you're into I can give you a solid list. You're welcome to PM me.
4.) What's the deal with seasons there? Are there waves year-round? Do people own multiple wetsuits? Waves year round. Depending on your location you may have to drive 2-30 min to get good waves depending on swell.
5.) Best Mexican food? Generally the further south you go but there are good places all over the county.

Cheers
Born and raised in Central SD so feel free to PM me with anything :shaka:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Any you personally recommend? In terms of boards what are you using most often?
I like Bob Mitzven. But tons of good shapers there.

The Ogre is right - get a longboard. La Jolla has a few reefs that are as gnarly as Leftovers.

• Haha
Reactions: vanrysss

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Any you personally recommend? In terms of boards what are you using most often?
You need a groveler, a daily driver shortboard, and a board for chest high +.

You will rarely use the last board in that sequence.

After surfing here a few months and knowing what direction your surfing is going to take then order a few boards. Shaper would be based on where you're surfing and what sort of surfing you'll be doing - the waves are nothing like where you're from, so your interest/attitude might adjust.

A longboard isn't going to open up anything to you except longboard spots and of course Swami's.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
4.) Do people own multiple wetsuits?
There is like a 15-20 degree swing so you certainly could use it. Not sure how much time it spends in each zone though.

Any areas to avoid? She mentioned Pacific Beach is overrun with homeless.
SD is overrun with East Coast transplants in general
Rancho Santa Inlanda is overrun with GBG specifically.
PCH is overrun with brazen cyclists and angry motorists.
IB is overrun with doo smoothie.
Crowdiff and Swarmies are just plain overrun.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
get a fish, a longboard, and a stamps flare you'll be good on 99.9% of days.

i wear a 3/2 most of the time and occasionally in Dec - Feb I'll use a 4/3.

there's really no spots to avoid in coastal SD, just hard to find a place to live.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I would bring one gun for the every 5 year event like happened a couple of weeks ago just in case.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I grew up in Encinitas. I think summer is the best season. South swells can be fun.

After living in San Francisco for years, I'm usually on a groveler when I visit Encinitas, even on the better days. If I moved back, a Plasmic would probably be my daily driver. I'm sure you will be surprised by the difference in power compared to Hawaii, especially at the reef breaks.

Reactions: sdsrfr and PRCD