Roe v Wade - DONE!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Yes it does.

Source.

What is advance care planning?
Advance care planning involves learning about the types of decisions that might need to be made, considering those decisions ahead of time, and then letting others know—both your family and your health care providers—about your preferences. These preferences are often put into an advance directive, a legal document that goes into effect only if you are incapacitated and unable to speak for yourself. This could be the result of disease or severe injury—no matter how old you are. It helps others know what type of medical care you want.

An advance directive also allows you to express your values and desires related to end-of-life care. You might think of it as a living document—one that you can adjust as your situation changes because of new information or a change in your health.

We had this for dear old mom. Lucky me got to tell the attending staff to make her comfortable and up the dose of morphine as needed (reminded them of the documents we had on her file listing her directive and me as medical power of attorney to make sure the directive was followed).

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Yes it does.
Not really. I would choose to medicate myself with good old fashioned unrefined opium latex to ease my passing when the time grows near.

Current laws prevent me from making that medical decision for myself.

So dumb. Every bit as dumb as mandating that people take a vaccine with no long term safety data for a disease they have already recovered from.

"my body my choice" my ass!

:roflmao:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I get what you're saying, crustBrother, but in our case, before the decline really kicked in, dear old mom said she didn't want care beyond a certain point.

Got an Advanced Care Directive while she was still lucid, got me documented as both Power of Attorney and Medical Power of Attorney, and filed all with care providers.

When she "decided" to stop eating, drinking, and communicating, staff asked if they could intravenously feed and hydrate her.

I said, "No....it is what she wanted. Please make her as comfortable as possible, up the morphine as needed."

The look I got from staff was compassionate sadness and understanding of what I was saying, which, if I can be blunt, was essentially, "Don't prolong her existence and you have all the paperwork to cover your ass when she dies here in the next week or two (12 days without food and water)."

Anyway, in the future.....

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I get what you're saying, crustBrother, but in our case, before the decline really kicked in, dear old mom said she didn't want care beyond a certain point.

Got an Advanced Care Directive while she was still lucid, got me documented as both Power of Attorney and Medical Power of Attorney, and filed all with care providers.

When she "decided" to stop eating, drinking, and communicating, staff asked if they could intravenously feed and hydrate her.

I said, "No....it is what she wanted. Please make her as comfortable as possible, up the morphine as needed."

The look I got from staff was compassionate sadness and understanding of what I was saying, which, if I can be blunt, was essentially, "Don't prolong her existence and you have all the paperwork to cover your ass when she dies here in the next week or two (12 days without food and water)."

Going through exactly this right now. This is a good discussion to have with all parties ahead of go-time, in addition to having the relevant paperwork.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sharkbiscuit:

Good on ya for getting it done beforehand. Made certain things easier for us but even so:

1 Financial institutions do not care about wills. Get POA and Medical POA. Signed (and notarized if possible). Will is so you know who gets the watercolors and 10,000 photos of grandchildren.

2 Make copies of stuff, give and discuss with brothers and sisters so no one gets 'cold feet' when time comes.

3 Assisted living places love these and I think it is a secret clue to them to 'assist' in the painless fast death part when time comes. A better place will want family to give verbal confirmation and eyeball to eyeball understanding of things....I am probably projecting here as that is was what it was like for me.

4 Go though the state's unclaimed property division. This is California's. I found stocks for the grandchildren that the state had....dear old mom moved a lot and forgot about them and then the holding company merged and new company couldn't find her/mail was returned, so they gave them to the state.

5 Figure out how to get a death certificate from the state/county. Will help close things out with various entities. I used them to close out an annuity in Arizona and close out a bank in Oregon.....mom and her Depression era mindset about failing banks.

6 All the preparing sure didn't take make the grief go away or lessen it.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Not really. I would choose to medicate myself with good old fashioned unrefined opium latex to ease my passing when the time grows near.

Current laws prevent me from making that medical decision for myself.

So dumb. Every bit as dumb as mandating that people take a vaccine with no long term safety data for a disease they have already recovered from.

"my body my choice" my ass!

:roflmao:
Your health care is not between you and your Doctor anymore.

It's between you, your Doctor, your insurance company and increasingly the government.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sharkbiscuit:

Good on ya for getting it done beforehand. Made certain things easier for us but even so:

1 Financial institutions do not care about wills. Get POA and Medical POA. Signed (and notarized if possible). Will is so you know who gets the watercolors and 10,000 photos of grandchildren.

2 Make copies of stuff, give and discuss with brothers and sisters so no one gets 'cold feet' when time comes.

3 Assisted living places love these and I think it is a secret clue to them to 'assist' in the painless fast death part when time comes. A better place will want family to give verbal confirmation and eyeball to eyeball understanding of things....I am probably projecting here as that is was what it was like for me.

4 Go though the state's unclaimed property division. This is California's. I found stocks for the grandchildren that the state had....dear old mom moved a lot and forgot about them and then the holding company merged and new company couldn't find her/mail was returned, so they gave them to the state.

5 Figure out how to get a death certificate from the state/county. Will help close things out with various entities. I used them to close out an annuity in Arizona and close out a bank in Oregon.....mom and her Depression era mindset about failing banks.

6 All the preparing sure didn't take make the grief go away or lessen it.
There's lots of done/none going on here. I'm very lucky on that front. I've already talked it out with all the relevant doctors and parties.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Isn’t this working how it’s supposed to?
For my team's political prospects, yes. Other than that, no. But there are worse wastes of time than the Religious Right being reminded they're a minority everyone hates and their impulses are so authoritarian they get thrown out by a South Carolina Supreme Court that's got 4 (R) and 1 (D).

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

My dad said he would get me to pull the plug when the time came because he knew I'd do it.

I said, "I'll do it now!"

My friend has been dealing with a sick addict wife and the dr said, "She has sepsis."

He's like, "Can we hook up to the morphine and finish her off? I'm done with her!"

They doctor was like "No!"

She pulled through and now she is a highly demanding sick person again.

I told him she will outlive him.

The caregiver spouse often dies first.

The sick person drains all their energy

It's kind of gross.

My dad did that to my mom; then he killed himself.

What mortal hand created thy fearful symmetry?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My dad said he would get me to pull the plug when the time came because he knew I'd do it.

My friend has been dealing with a sick addict wife and the dr said, "She has sepsis."

He's like, "Can we hook up to the morphine and finish her off? I'm done with her!"

It's kind of gross.

dude...bail....pay the toll...move on....holy fk, that sounds like hell

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
dude...bail....pay the toll...move on....holy fk, that sounds like hell
He won't do it. He should have left 10 years ago.

He didn't want to give up all his stuff.

She would get a killer pay out.

He's got bars of silver in a safe under the bed.

It's crazy.

I think he's waiting for her to die.

She's tough.

Most addicts are.

I can't be an addict because I'm a pussy.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
He won't do it. He should have left 10 years ago.

He didn't want to give up all his stuff.

She would get a killer pay out.

He's got bars of silver in a safe under the bed.

It's crazy.

I think he's waiting for her to die.

She's tough.

Most addicts are.

I can't be an addict because I'm a pussy.
you don't get to take it with you when you die

who cares how much fkn loot you have when your life is so fkn miserable

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Your health care is not between you and your Doctor anymore.

It's between you, your Doctor, your insurance company and increasingly the government.
my only question is should the c-suite be added to that list or are they considered to be part of the government?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

It's kind of gross.

That guy sounds like this guy (turn on sound and wait for it).

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother