*** Official The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Thread ***

Dec 27, 2020
nobody in the scaffolding tower or on site was relaying scores or leaderboard to commentary team (who were In a makeshift studio on someone’s lanai in Mililani). I don’t blame them trying to do this, making a studio on site is expensive and a lot can go wrong with no solutions especially at Waimea. So Calls and texts to Waimea weren’t being responded too, I’m guess cell tower jammed with thousands of people on site with their phones and socials running. could it have been better? Sure. was it kinda cool not knowing the scores and just watching every ride? yes. Would I be working on a marquee sponsor and media partner today? YES.
Can we get a clean view of this anywhere?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Some of those videos are incredible. Those drops, Mike Ho, all those beatings, fully incredible.

Best thing is the guy who won is not a pro surfer, as far as I can tell. No self-serving YouTube channel, never seen him in ads or sponsored trips, and I don't even know if he even has an Instagram! Just a local charger, a lifeguard.

Best thing ever at 1:12, humbly saying he'd like to emulate Eddie Aikau and then saying, "I gotta get back to the tower to make sure everyone's OK..."

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
What does the (b) mean next to some names, and why is Michael Ho highlighted yellow? Oldest competitor?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Steak, why do you ask such a question? Aren't you from Santa Cruz?
Sorry that was my bad i had them mixed up a while ago

I think steak maybe has been gone for a while unless anyone knows differently.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
i feel like ive never seen her stick a drop in my life at any venue. she goes full send tho so she gets my props but she must be getting sick of doughnuts at this point.
She's said as much. Tons of injuries mostly. But she is a fabulous surfer and an absolutely madwoman.

If you ever see her, walk up and introduce yourself and tell her you're a fan. She is incredibly kind, gracious, intelligent, and funny. One of the greatest characters in all of surfing, IMO.

She's in LA a ton

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
i feel like ive never seen her stick a drop in my life at any venue. she goes full send tho so she gets my props but she must be getting sick of doughnuts at this point.
She's been injured for some time now.

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
She's said as much. Tons of injuries mostly. But she is a fabulous surfer and an absolutely madwoman.

If you ever see her, walk up and introduce yourself and tell her you're a fan. She is incredibly kind, gracious, intelligent, and funny. One of the greatest characters in all of surfing, IMO.

She's in LA a ton
Anybody that even ventures into the ocean in those conditions gets mad respect from me.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
People are sweetening the pot for Luke with private donations. I sent him a few shekels via venmo. Definitely felt like I got a lot of entertainment value out of the comp. While ten grand isn't chump change the 75k John got in 2016 would probably make a big impact for him on a lifeguard's salary.
Got a Venmo link? I was thinking the same, meaning small private giving to the guy.