Step up for large/mushy waves (north San Diego)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Isn’t a stretched Gremlin just a phantom?

phantom would be fine for HH-OH SD waves imo
I guess. wut bottom is on the grem? Isn’t phantom straight singl?

Phantom stoke dims make me think it’s supposed to be ridden shorter than id want to unless going custom.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Anybody try the Arakawa Holy Moli? Looks like it could be fun at places that could use the added width.
I've got a stock 6'8 that I use at OBSF whenever its small/bad shape/lots of current. Works really well and has made surfing the mediocre days here much more fun. Might bring it to Kauai with me next month depending on forecast - would be interesting to see how it handles more juice

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Non xl p2 piques my interest.

so would a stretched gremlin.
The gremlin I had was more like that. I took width out and added length. Worked great as a DD on this end of CA. Would switch to twin + trailer setup on weaker days. Had a Phantom also but the gremlin had much better lowend and when that would get too much to handle in bigger size I would grab my ghost anyway.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ve wanted to try a phantom but the stoke dims put me on a 5’10, about 3” shorter than id like. my 6’1 ghost goes ok but feels stiff to me in the slow open faces under hh.

6’0 p2 looks hawt it they’re not overly sensitive to extra foam.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I've got a stock 6'8 that I use at OBSF whenever its small/bad shape/lots of current. Works really well and has made surfing the mediocre days here much more fun. Might bring it to Kauai with me next month depending on forecast - would be interesting to see how it handles more juice
Would be a good board to battle it out at the Bay on and would handle some size. I'll be there next month as well and want a 7-0.

Mar 15, 2022
I like my 6’11 Hanel Teardrop for big mushy waves or anytime there’s a long paddle involved. It’s got enough foam to get into waves early ish. I wouldn’t say it’s a ripper but it is pretty agile for what it is

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Derrick Disney (twinzer guy) on the first wave and at 00:48, 6:18 ?

Those look like the kind of waves I'm making the Middleman for....but that crowd :socrazy:

To OP- Support your local shaper (and fin foiler- Marlin Bacon)-

anyone ridden those Derrick disney twinzers?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
anyone compare mandala delta v vs sakal sabre?

or a long fish vs those two?
Since you have ridden a moonstone this might help.

Sabre 6'8 x 21 x 2 5/8 VS Moonstone 6'8 x 20.25 x 2 5/8

Sabre paddled better overall & caught waves easier. It has a lower tail rocker (2") and more foam overall so probably not a surprise there. It does have a little more nose rocker, but the lower tail rocker & tail width is what I think i was feeling the most. Late takeoffs you get slingshotted more in where the moonstone is more composed and less wild. Moonstone has more of a performance feel that goes rail to rail easily if you think of doing a carve off the top back to the pocket. Sabre was harder to redirect that way and skates more on the surface/rides a bit flatter. Its kinda like a freight train going down the line on bigger days. A little out of control but having a blast at the same time. Both drivey boards with keels, no shortage of speed, but more of a connected feeling with the water on the Moonstone. Moonstone more picky on foot placement, where the Sabre has a bigger sweet spot and you can shuffle around and it will still go. Both fun boards when surf is lined up and not too critical on takeoff

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Since you have ridden a moonstone this might help.

Sabre 6'8 x 21 x 2 5/8 VS Moonstone 6'8 x 20.25 x 2 5/8

Sabre paddled better overall & caught waves easier. It has a lower tail rocker (2") and more foam overall so probably not a surprise there. It does have a little more nose rocker, but the lower tail rocker & tail width is what I think i was feeling the most. Late takeoffs you get slingshotted more in where the moonstone is more composed and less wild. Moonstone has more of a performance feel that goes rail to rail easily if you think of doing a carve off the top back to the pocket. Sabre was harder to redirect that way and skates more on the surface/rides a bit flatter. Its kinda like a freight train going down the line on bigger days. A little out of control but having a blast at the same time. Both drivey boards with keels, no shortage of speed, but more of a connected feeling with the water on the Moonstone. Moonstone more picky on foot placement, where the Sabre has a bigger sweet spot and you can shuffle around and it will still go. Both fun boards when surf is lined up and not too critical on takeoff
many thanks! great post and the kind of info i'm looking for.

recently been riding a stamps long line tkf which is fast and loose. pretty spicy ride.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
many thanks! great post and the kind of info i'm looking for.

recently been riding a stamps long line tkf which is fast and loose. pretty spicy ride.
Curious how the stumps longfish compares to moonie. Different enough you would keep both or pick one winner?

Reactions: sdsrfr