The Middleman

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Starting a build thread. I' calling this one the Middleman not because it's a mid length but because of where I'll surf it.

It will replace this trusty old 7-4.

IMG_7249.JPGIMG_7250.JPG
IMG_7252.JPG

This board catches waves great and is fast, but could be looser. Not much tail rocker. It will lose the paddle battle with longboards. On the big days this swell it was a little hectic getting into waves and then wasn't loose. Flat bottom. I had this sensation on the big waves at speed that it didn't want to go over onto the rail.

Middleman will have more rocker and some vee in the tail. It will be 7-6 but I am not designing for the paddle battle. Now that I can surf whenever, I've found I can mostly avoid the crowd. I could go smaller but at this wave there is a limit. I had 6-10 that felt too small (unless the waves were bigger). Not enough glide.

More details coming soon, gotta run now...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Template- I wanted to make it 20-7/8" wide but the curve called for 21." Pretty much following Eric Arakawa's outline.
Wide point 4" above center. 13-1/2" nose, 14-1/8" tail.

IMG_7354 2.JPG

Playing with the idea of a round pin tail. I had to look for a good template. Red X's mark approximately where my back foot would be in trimming position and the front and back of twinzer cluster. I wanted to put max template curve where my back foot goes. The tails pulls in a little more than the 7-4 so more curve in tail. This one will have a 5" swallow speed vs 6" on the 7-4.

IMG_7355 2.JPG

IMG_7361.JPG

I have an idea but what does the venerable erBB braintrust think the difference between swallow and round pin would be?

IMG_7358 2.JPGIMG_7364.JPG

Last edited:

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
It looks like it should be a rounded pin to me.
I'm currently debating this in my head for a re-make of a 7'2 Russ Short B5 round pin I have. Magic board that definitely has bumps and bruises, and while Malcolm is still shaping would Love to get another- slightly tweaked and one of those tweaks may be mini swallow.
Interesting to see how your design shakes out here- I do admire your stuff - and that outline really does look better as a round pin.
There is something so wild about a high speed gliding carve that a round pin gives...
Just my .02

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've not ridden many swallow tail guns or midlengths so maybe I'm missing out. I love a good round pin though. I think the way the tip of the pin (ideally) stays in contact with the water as the board rolls from edge to edge is very predictable which helps inspire confidence for me in bigger surf.

This quote, "I had this sensation on the big waves at speed that it didn't want to go over onto the rail. " makes me think a rounded pin is at least worth considering for the reasons @jkb gave.

Increased tail rocker, less tail width and/or a thinner foil are other possible options for helping the board roll over onto rail easier at speed.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would say round pin its like having a ole reliable friend but I did own a swallow semi gun really loved and my current step up is swallow tail:foreheadslap:

Reactions: jkb

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've not ridden many swallow tail guns or midlengths so maybe I'm missing out. I love a good round pin though. I think the way the tip of the pin (ideally) stays in contact with the water as the board rolls from edge to edge is very predictable which helps inspire confidence for me in bigger surf.

This quote, "I had this sensation on the big waves at speed that it didn't want to go over onto the rail. " makes me think a rounded pin is at least worth considering for the reasons @jkb gave.

Increased tail rocker, less tail width and/or a thinner foil are other possible options for helping the board roll over onto rail easier at speed.
Thanks for all the input everybody. My take is that the swallow has a longer rail line and would be more drivey.

The changes I made this time around include pretty much everything on your list- more tail rocker (+1/8"), vee (rocker at swallow tips would be 2-1/2, 1/4" more than the trusty 7-4) and the rails are thinner all around. It also has slightly more nose rocker. It measures the same, but I have 1/8" single concave in the new one, so on the rail line it is more. The old one was pure flat bottom GG style.

I'd like to get a looser board without sacraficing too much speed (who wouldn't?). Like you said, the round pin has less area and should go over on rail easier (looser?), but with all the loose features I'm adding I hope it doesn't lack drive....but then that's where fins come into play...

I'm also designing this board not so much with all these DOH days we've just had (because that is not the norm), but for the head to head and half days which are pretty common.

Pics to come. Daughter's on the computer for onlne classes and I can't load photos on this one...

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Comparison of the two boards I rode this past swell. On the three really big days I surfed two were on the green 8-3 which felt better than the 7-4. I'm seriously considering chopping an inch off the tail though. It's a twinzer (you can see the fcsI plug shadows...I cut them out and replaced them with FCS II). I think I went with 8-1/2" Jobson placement but scaled them up for the length... and put them at almost 10". :oops:
IMG_7466.JPG

7-4 compared to new shape. The last 1/2" on the tail will be cut. I leave it long for the eventual dings to the tips while maneuvering the shape in my small shaping room. The 7-4 had wide point aft of center ( I wanted to surf off the tail). The new one has it 4" above center. It doesn't look like it because it carries the width aft whereas the area reduces pretty quickly in front. More curve in the tail. The new one has 1-1/4" wider nose.
IMG_7467.JPG

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
@rowjimmytour
What's the tip to tip ? (and depth of swallow)
Sing to double out back and no idea depth of swallow never measured but would consider it baby swallow very mellow.
2X4 STEP UP
HAVING ENOUGH PADDLE POWER AND SPEED IS NO LONGER AN EXCUSE.
Prices starting at $865

• Fearless big brother shares it’s single to double concave, full nose outline and reliable rocker
  • Paddle monger with refined foil and pulled tail outline for enhanced control
  • The swiss army knife in the minimalist surfers quiver
  • Order +2-3” longer and 1/8” thicker than your standard daily driver
Buy Now

A 2X4 THAT’S BRAWNY, CULTIVATED AND REFINED FOR WHEN THE OCEAN STARTS SWINGING BACK
Prices starting at $865

When it’s time to batten down the hatches and start getting serious, one shouldn’t have to deviate much from what they know. A responsible, familiar and easy to use tool that’s more specialized at handling the bigger tasks is always needed. When your daily driver starts getting a little nervous, the 2x4 step up takes over and eases the way.

Consider it a top shelf version of the original 2x4 if you will. The more refined step up version features a little less single concave up front, slightly narrower outline, refined foil and a little more overall rocker. All this adds up to a sophisticated yet familiar ride that’s unrivaled for that occasional all time swell but isn’t restricted to being left untouched the rest of the time there are fun waves to be had.

Optimized for larger and more powerful conditions, the standard 5-fin convertible fin cluster remains the same yet the quad rear pair is configured to have a 1/8” less toe angle compared to the original 2x4 model. Borrowed from Stretch’s extensive use and development of quad gun fin set-ups, the relatively straighter quad rears combined with the foil, rocker and outline characteristics designed in the 2x4 step up allow for even more confidence inspiring speed and drive in hollow waves.

Utilizing the same slightly fuller outline as the 2x4 model means that the step up version can still be ridden slightly shorter than a normal step up or semi-gun. Available with sk8 deck option as well means that control, maneuverability and wave count can all still be had when the waves start checking your ego.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Template- I wanted to make it 20-7/8" wide but the curve called for 21." Pretty much following Eric Arakawa's outline.
Wide point 4" above center. 13-1/2" nose, 14-1/8" tail.

View attachment 146221

Playing with the idea of a round pin tail. I had to look for a good template. Red X's mark approximately where my back foot would be in trimming position and the front and back of twinzer cluster. I wanted to put max template curve where my back foot goes. The tails pulls in a little more than the 7-4 so more curve in tail. This one will have a 5" swallow speed vs 6" on the 7-4.

View attachment 146222

View attachment 146226

I have an idea but what does the venerable erBB braintrust think the difference between swallow and round pin would be?

View attachment 146223View attachment 146224
I think maybe a tad wider than 14.25 would be mo betta, keep the swallow

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
This board catches waves great and is fast, but could be looser. Not much tail rocker. It will lose the paddle battle with longboards. On the big days this swell it was a little hectic getting into waves and then wasn't loose. Flat bottom. I had this sensation on the big waves at speed that it didn't want to go over onto the rail.

Middleman will have more rocker and some vee in the tail. It will be 7-6 but I am not designing for the paddle battle. Now that I can surf whenever, I've found I can mostly avoid the crowd. I could go smaller but at this wave there is a limit. I had 6-10 that felt too small (unless the waves were bigger). Not enough glide.
Reading between the lines it sounds like it is intended for a wave frequented by and suited to longboards in standard conditions, on the other hand in big conditions this wave needs a gun. So this board has to do both.

My choice would be to go wider in the tail to get more glide and rounded pin to allow the extra width to be manageable in big conditions. Too late for this one, because you have cut the outline, but you can always make another!

Greg Griffin completely replaced V with extra tail rocker, because he believed that the same effect as V could be achieved with extra rocker (I presume including getting the board over on rail), but more efficiently.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thanks Mr J. Always appreciate your input, but like you said, it's shaped so I can't widen the tail. I don't generally like wide tail, maybe because I have small feet (size 8-1/2- 9)? I'm also fairly light weight (155lbs) and like to turn hard. I feel I don't have the heft to put a wide tail on its rail. As far as lack of glide...I'll just have to go at low tide when it's small.

I've done several things on this to make it looser and get on rail easier- more curve in tail, more tail rocker, more vee, thinner rail- so I've decided to go with the baby swallow for that extra 2-3 inches of rail to hopefully maintain some drive.

I was finish sanding with 120 grit and saw these lines that almost looked like a CNC cut. Discovered it was shitty Home Depot sand paper... and I bought a big pack. I guess I can still use it for glassing.

IMG_7402.JPG

IMG_7401.JPG

Single under front foot, transition between feet, vee under back foot-
IMG_7403.JPG

IMG_7454.JPGIMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

Oh, and micro mini beak for extra paddling magic!

IMG_7462.JPG