The Middleman

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I went with baby swallow. Photos seem to distort. My room is too small to get any distance away so I always have the fish eye effect. I also put some ever so slight concaves in to the vee.

Now working on getting the veneers ready. I found some really interesting wood on sale (clearance). It's coast bay laurel. The pieces have interesting figure and grain... but one problem...I mean challenge. I'm trying to figure out what to do.

IMG_7508.JPGIMG_7509.JPGIMG_7470.JPGIMG_7471.JPG

Last edited:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Is the void for mother of pearl maybe. Or you could make it look like Kenny's hoody from South Park?
Did you saw(resaw) the veneers?
Forgive me I've not been following along very long.
I'm a fan of these borts though.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Is the void for mother of pearl maybe. Or you could make it look like Kenny's hoody from South Park?
Did you saw(resaw) the veneers?
Forgive me I've not been following along very long.
I'm a fan of these borts though.
My first thought was MOP (mother of pearl), but I think I'd have to piece together several pieces. Not sure how the joins will look and it would add considerable cost. I'm experimenting with another possible solution...

...and no it does not involve female erogenous zones. Sorry to disappoint, guys.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
On that trusty 7-4 the only sign of wear and tear after 15 years (?) is a raised ridge under the stringer with some minor cracking. To address this I decided to rout out the top of the stringer and put some foam in the channel. I don't need the extra strength afforded by the stringer but I limited the depth of the cut to make sure I had some continuous stringer over the eventual center fin box. There will still be a hard spot but I figure it has 1/4" to crush along with the foam on the side so it should never start cracking....

IMG_7493.JPG

IMG_7496.JPGIMG_7507.JPG

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Too cold to glass today...Working out fin positions.

Twinzer set up- mains at 8-1/2". It's the Jobson position. I know the twinzer doctors here like them further back, <7', but since it's a 7'-6" I figure it scales to something similar. 3/16" toe for both mains and canards. I've done them with more toe for the canards, but today I was looking at them. I see the inside surface of the canard redirecting water to the outside surface of the mains. With more toe it seems that effect would be lessened. Cant- I will use the cant of the boxes- 5 for mains and 8 for canards. I think the vee and concave cancel out any changes due to bottom contours.

2+1- my trusty 7-4 that this is intended to replace is a 2+1. It works great so I wanted to keep that option.The canard's boxes put the side bites at 12-3/4" which is just a little more than the magic number Neil Purchase Jr. suggests. I had to move the boxes forward a little to give a little space between them. I didn't want to do that operation that someone on here did- routing out the rear of the forward boxes. This also made the canards have no overlap in twinzer mode, which the twinzer docs have suggested for big waves. Win win. The center fin will be at 5-1/2" and has 2" of adjustment forward. I'm going to make some kind of insert to clean up the empty box when I use the board as a twinzer. Also the canards in the photo are smaller than the eventual side bites will be. The mains in the twinzer shots are rejects because one of the interior plus of the plywood had this dark streak that looks lame.

The center fin in the photo is a 5-1/2" bonzer center I made, an experiment I never got to try because I sold my bonzer. I was thinking of making some bonzer 3 style side fins too. I know it won't be a bonzer because the concaves are very shallow but it would be fun to try....

IMG_7604.JPGIMG_7605.JPG
IMG_7603.JPG

Looks like the fins redirect the wood grain.

IMG_7602.JPG

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The Middleman is done. Finally. :applause2:

It took so long mostly because of the unreliability of surfer labor. Always taking time off to surf. So annoying. ;)

Cold wet weather didn't help either. I'm hoping there are still a few DOH days before this winter fades into a happy memory...it's been soooo good.

7'-6" x 21" x 2-3/4". 13-1/2" nose. 14-1/4" tail. 4-3/4 nose rocker. 2-1/4" tail rocker. Single concave. Fades to flat between feet, with vee starting behind feet. Fairly pronounced vee after fins. Very slight concave (1/16") in the vee panels.

This time I softened the hard edges ever so slightly starting about 8" in front of the fins.

Wide point 2" above center to keep foam under chest, but nose pulls in pretty quickly so hopefully it can still duck dive fairly easily. Tails pulls in to baby swallow (5") to get that curve around the back foot.

For twinzer doctors- mains at 8-1/2" 5 degrees cant 1/8" toe, canards, no overlap, 1-1/4" slot, 8 degrees cant. I decided to forget about the center box for the widow maker set up after surfing consecutive days on the 7-4 2+1 and then the 8-3 twinzer and the 8-3 twinzer felt looser and faster.

This board is not meant to trim. It is meant to turn hard in HH to DOH fat California reef breaks.

8.5 pounds. Not light but not too heavy given that it will last 15+ years, at least. Eco friendly for that reason only (surfboard are not eco friendly)_.

Oh, I had an old nautical chart of the Santa Monica Bay lying around and because the land features seemed the same brown color as the wood I decided to use that to fill the voids in the veneer. After I did it the white seemed to shocking so I decided to put the white pin stripes on to balance that a bit.

Note to amateur builders- don't skimp on pin striping tape. Use the expensive green stuff. I tried 1/4' regular masking and it bled everywhere and I had to sand them off and do them over. Pinstriping is hard. Avoid if at all possible.

IMG_7650.JPG

IMG_7626.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG
IMG_7641.JPG

IMG_7634.JPG

IMG_7647.JPG

IMG_7643.JPG
IMG_7652.JPG

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for all the input everybody. My take is that the swallow has a longer rail line and would be more drivey.

The changes I made this time around include pretty much everything on your list- more tail rocker (+1/8"), vee (rocker at swallow tips would be 2-1/2, 1/4" more than the trusty 7-4) and the rails are thinner all around. It also has slightly more nose rocker. It measures the same, but I have 1/8" single concave in the new one, so on the rail line it is more. The old one was pure flat bottom GG style.

I'd like to get a looser board without sacraficing too much speed (who wouldn't?). Like you said, the round pin has less area and should go over on rail easier (looser?), but with all the loose features I'm adding I hope it doesn't lack drive....but then that's where fins come into play...

I'm also designing this board not so much with all these DOH days we've just had (because that is not the norm), but for the head to head and half days which are pretty common.

Pics to come. Daughter's on the computer for onlne classes and I can't load photos on this one...
You will have plenty of drive from the rials I would think.
That was interesting how you drew the tail from the fin template, is this a common technique? seems like a good one...