What's the point of "ChatGPT" ?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why do I need to interact with a bot instead of just looking at Wikipedia or some other source?

Why are people acting like ChatGPT is Jesus?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If everything you’re looking for is already organized and summarized in a single place and in a consumable way then you may mot need it for that
if you have the time, skills, and desire to write summaries of generally available info, then you may not find it useful
there’s a lot of info out there that’s not on wikipedia
and Wikipedia doesnt answer your questions directly
also, for programmers, I’ve never seen anything like this before that can write sample code in many languages for many tasks
i don‘t know how well it does in the medical domain.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If everything you’re looking for is already organized and summarized in a single place and in a consumable way then you may mot need it for that
if you have the time, skills, and desire to write summaries of generally available info, then you may not find it useful
there’s a lot of info out there that’s not on wikipedia
and Wikipedia doesnt answer your questions directly
also, for programmers, I’ve never seen anything like this before that can write sample code in many languages for many tasks
i don‘t know how well it does in the medical domain.
The thing is there is/could be other information you may be missing out on.

I hate the idea of narrow focus.

Further, how can you guarantee the bot is not conflating info?

Reactions: kawika

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
whats this slater thing from? i hope it aint someones tattoo

• Haha
Reactions: donuts

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The thing is there is/could be other information you may be missing out on.

I hate the idea of narrow focus.

Further, how can you guarantee the bot is not conflating info?
Well, if you stick to Wikipedia, or do your own searches, it’s likely you will access fewer sources than this ai thing, so if you want to avoid a narrow focus, google was a huge step forward years ago, and now this tool is another newer approach

As far as guaranteeing no conflating, well maybe I’ll ask chatgpt in an hour when I’m allowed to ask another question
but it’s AI so the data in the model is going to drive the answers

Reactions: kawika

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
What grapedrink said about the writing part, something it seems people don't do much anymore. Professional journalists from any source are regularly putting out work with errors in spelling, grammar, structure or even failure to understand or research the subject themselves, you name it. They would have never made it out of Tenth Grade where I dropped out of. Not if they looked like me and didn't play a sport well.

Chat GPT is gonna have to be a good thing though, because it's not going away.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Ny times daily podcast did an episode on chatgpt a month or so ago. They asked it to write a story about something. I kind of got chills when they were reading the story back. Not because it was the best story ive ever heard but just because it felt like something a human could have written. It was impressive.

I think the possibilities for this tech are basically endless, for better or worse.

Reactions: kawika and Subway

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
From ChatGPT
Casa_mugrienta: "ChatGPT is just a waste of resources. It's not even close to being as intelligent as a human and can't provide any real value."
Random Guy: "I disagree. ChatGPT has the ability to process large amounts of information and can provide helpful responses quickly. It has the potential to revolutionize customer service and other industries."
Casa_mugrienta: "But it can't think for itself or understand context like a human can. It's just a machine following pre-programmed instructions."
Random Guy: "While it may not have the same level of understanding as a human, it can still be useful in certain situations. And as technology advances, the capabilities of ChatGPT will continue to improve."
Casa_mugrienta: "I just don't see it. ChatGPT will never be able to replace human intelligence and creativity."
Random Guy: "I understand where you're coming from, but I think we should give ChatGPT a chance. It has the potential to make our lives easier and more efficient in many ways."
Casa_mugrienta: "I suppose time will tell, but for now, I remain skeptical."

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
ChatGPT, Casa_mugrienta, and Random Guy walk into a bar ...

I'm sorry, as a language model, I am not able to walk into a bar or interact with people in the physical world. Is there anything else I can help you with?

• Haha
Reactions: kawika and Subway

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
if you put "Whats the point of ChatGPT" into ChatGPT im sure it'll have an answer for you.
Maybe it can answer why Trader Joes employees are so chatty :unsure:

Guarantee you that ChatGTP or something similar is combing through all of most highly rated songs, movies, books etc to look for themes and elements that illicit the greatest and most positive response in humans. Then they will put together new content that weaves it all together. Producers have been doing this manually in music for a long time. Soon this stuff will be writing songs and movie/tv scripts, if it isn't already?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think in ten years or so it's going to be good enough to replace human writers for a lot of applications. There are already sportswriting bots that can write game summaries and stuff like that, the kind of thing that used to be entry-level journalism jobs. This just takes it to the next level.

• Sad
Reactions: wedge2

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Maybe it can answer why Trader Joes employees are so chatty :unsure:

Guarantee you that ChatGTP or something similar is combing through all of most highly rated songs, movies, books etc to look for themes and elements that illicit the greatest and most positive response in humans. Then they will put together new content that weaves it all together. Producers have been doing this manually in music for a long time. Soon this stuff will be writing songs and movie/tv scripts, if it isn't already?
This is what I assumed Netflix was doing to produce the most appealing content
theyve got so much data on what people watch, at what points they stop watching, what they rewatch
i figured they could, and do, use that in the content they are creating
but from what I’ve learned, they dont really do it to the extent I would’ve thought

Reactions: grapedrink