FAFO

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
has anyone brought up the fact that the mere occurance of this robbery shits all over the concealed/open carry argument that an armed society is a polite society”? I thought criminals knew better and the idea that patrons in a restaurant being armed like this was supposed to be a deterrent and robberies like this only happened in lawless liberal cities where people aren’t armed everywhere they go?
That criminal now knows better.

Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No it’s not.

you’re just overdramatic.
It is, and it's not just CA.

Any state that is governed by a sole political party (R or D), because every state agency becomes a wing of of the controlling party.

Many years ago I did my due diligence to make legal documentation with Sacramento that I owned a specific firearm.

There was no question ownership of this gun was within the law.

Months later someone from the CA DOJ left a message regarding the gun, and that they wanted to verify information.

So I called the DOJ back; I was put through to an agent who (falsely) stated I was in possession of an illegal firearm.

I responded by citing the specifics of the firearm and the law.

He then went into bully mode; he was going to send an agent to my house with a warrant, he would do whatever it takes so the state could "have a look for themselves" and that I would be facing time in prison.

I didn't respond, and hung up the phone, called a lawyer.

Lawyer told me it isn't exactly uncommon for the the state to use over the phone intimidation tactics with those who do their due diligence regarding firearms. He told me to ignore it - that he's never heard of an agent being permitted a warrant in such a situation and if an agent ever showed up at my door without a warrant don't answer the door.

Nobody showed up, and I got my approval letter from the state a few months later.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That’s a whole lot of bullshit no doubt, and you wont find an argument from me there.

but you guys don’t know what authoritarianism is.
It's low level authoritarianism.

Not Soviet style, Chi-com, dictatorial, etc.

Instead people comply as they know opposition or complaints will fall on deaf ears and be buried in bureaucracy. It's easier to just go along with it. Sacramento isn't going to help you with anything that goes against the agenda of the controlling party.

Checks and balances from the Federal end of things make sure it doesn't go further.

But I think it illustrates some sort of balance of power is important. It keeps government in check.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Any state that is governed by a sole political party (R or D), because every state agency becomes a wing of of the controlling party.

Many years ago I did my due diligence to make legal documentation with Sacramento that I owned a specific firearm.

Months later someone from the CA DOJ left a message regarding the gun, and that they wanted to verify information.

So I called the DOJ back; I was put through to an agent who (falsely) stated I was in possession of an illegal firearm.

He then went into bully mode; he was going to send an agent to my house with a warrant, he would do whatever it takes so the state could "have a look for themselves" and that I would be facing time in prison.

Lawyer told me it isn't exactly uncommon for the the state to use over the phone intimidation tactics with those who do their due diligence regarding firearms. He told me to ignore it - that he's never heard of an agent being permitted a warrant in such a situation and if an agent ever showed up at my door without a warrant don't answer the door.

Nobody showed up, and I got my approval letter from the state a few months later.
Were you brining a off roster gun to CA that complied with state law? From what I understand that's perfectly legal given you purchased the gun as a resident of another state.... but gives the DOJ a hissyfit.

CA DOJ has a new tactic. They don't answer the phone or emails. Now when people apply for guns they send out an "undetermined" DROS. The law is written that a gun store may issue on undetermined but many are uneasy about doing that due to some potential liability.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
It's low level authoritarianism.

Not Soviet style, Chi-com, dictatorial, etc.

Instead people comply as they know opposition or complaints will fall on deaf ears and be buried in bureaucracy. It's easier to just go along with it. Sacramento isn't going to help you with anything that goes against the agenda of the controlling party.

Checks and balances from the Federal end of things make sure it doesn't go further.

But I think it illustrates some sort of balance of power is important. It keeps government in check.
Low level authoritarianism, maybe but I still chuckle when I hear that word used in any way in regards to the USA. at the end of the day this is what was voters chose in California.

the states rights screechers don’t exactly stand behind that ideal when things don’t go their way.

Reactions: $kully and hammies

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
You can carry a gun in CA with a permit. The court has been clear on that.
In 60+ years of living in Southern and Central CA I have never seen someone carry a gun unless they are going hunting or sport-shooting.

I suspect it's because if somebody walked down the street with a firearm in a holster people would look at them like they were freaks and give them a *very* wide berth.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
But depending on where you live the permit is tough to impossible. Ventura County is fairly easy...the north eastern counties are almost automatic. LA County is impossible.
Not anymore.

SB County used to be impossible (I think there were a total of 3 CCW permits in the county).

Now they are issuing them to anyone who isn’t legally prohibited from owning a firearm. Takes about 5 months.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
In 60+ years of living in Southern and Central CA I have never seen someone carry a gun unless they are going hunting or sport-shooting.

I suspect it's because if somebody walked down the street with a firearm in a holster people would look at them like they were freaks and give them a *very* wide berth.
Open carry is illegal in California for the most part.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.

In NJ they will go after law abiding gun owners relentlessly on the most minor clerical errors or technicalities. A law abiding gun owner can spend more time in prison on a technicality than an actual armed robber.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully