The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez (upcoming streaming film)

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Just finished the show. It was epic. Gerry's prominence was kind of before my time, but I could totally relate to the mindset and lifestyle. At least I'm pretty good friends with Jack Shipley. A must-see for the real surfers out there.

Gerry, 2018 Surfer Awards, Turtle Bay, 12/6/18.
181206_SurferAwards_01.jpg

Reactions: keenfish and PLJ

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I watched over the last weekend. Thumbs up. It was all positives-no controversy or issues discussed or exposed. I’m a fan but I want to hear his take just once on his name on the wave storms polluting the world over In both line ups and land fills. If it is for the cash-cool. Own it then. If he doesn’t control the naming rights-cool. Let’s discuss that.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Sounds like a piece of bland hero worship.
The only area they tried to show another face of him was during his king of the pipeline days. They showed him stuffing a bunch of guys because he had a ruthless side too. The narrater was saying you cant be the best pipe surfer in the world on yoga and style alone. You need to have the other side. Then they showed his alpha side charging non makes and stuffing haoles. I say all this as a fan. I just wanted some more yang vs the all in yin.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sounds like a piece of bland hero worship.
The only area they tried to show another face of him was during his king of the pipeline days. They showed him stuffing a bunch of guys because he had a ruthless side too. The narrater was saying you cant be the best pipe surfer in the world on yoga and style alone. You need to have the other side. Then they showed his alpha side charging non makes and stuffing haoles. I say all this as a fan. I just wanted some more yang vs the all in yin.
Didn't see the documentary, but always got the impression he was a cocky asshole who became a little less cocky asshole in his older years...but always has it simmering beneath the surface of a phony nice-guy yoga+granola image. "The safest place on the wave is in the tube":rolleyes: and "When in doubt paddle out":rolleyes:In all fairness if the entire hero lauding surf world is sucking your pepis as the GOAT it'd be hard not to be a cocky mf'er. Reading some of his more obscure magazine interviews from the 70's kinda reinforced that impression he was just another superstar living up his fame - I was never surprised to see his name pop up on the Costco boards.

Have heard a few "Let me tell you a funny story: Gerry Lopez showed up here..." cue story about the locals being less than impressed with is persona. This was back in the 2000s when he was traveling a lot more.

Can't say I don't respect the effect he left on surfing in Hawaii and Indo. A life of waves surfed to the fullest potential of our era is what we're pretty much all grasping for and never achieving, but he did it. With style.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I always wanted to be able to surf like that guy. Makes the difficult look easy.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Skimmed through it yesterday, stopping to enjoy the surfing on Bali and at G Land. Nearly gagged when Sam G showed up.

One thing that stood out was how useless Lopez was on his backhand. A surf god on lefts, but could barely do a turn going right?!?

I don't generally enjoy hagiography, but will watch the whole thing when I have time.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Got my word for the day! :socrazy:
Yeah, Gerry s always been on one pedestal or another, I wish as much would've been published about many people from many eras but no matter what can be said about Gerry, the era he was from kinda dictated some characters would become fabled entities of a pivotal point in surf history, cultural too.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Watched it last night. It was surprisingly good despite the appearances of RR and SG. Most interesting was the super slow motion footage of Lopez in the barrel and watching the way the tail of his boards interacted with the wave face and fit the curve of the wave.

Oct 29, 2012
Somebody should have asked him about Lightning Bolt Colitas, and why he had to leave Hawaii. It's a great story that many would like to forget.