Possible move to Florida from CA

pastel

OTF status
Nov 23, 2022
i bet you know the answer. if it's even crossed your mind like this, it's a go. don't turn back

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Yeah - I do live in my camper a lot of the time (love the freedom) - sold my house in CO in August and still have my place in CA - Its a CFO role that pays $400k/year + substantial equity in a Tech start-up.
That's awesome. Now you can afford the Ikon pass.

Florida has some sick pow.

• Haha
Reactions: sushipop and Havoc

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I have thought long and hard about this same senario.

I'm in the same boat so I'm just going to keep working as long as I can find a way to keep it fun. It hasn't been much fun lately so I need to remedy that.

On to the concept of retirement..

I have decided (for me anyway) that you have to make it like a job.

You can't wake up and wonder what you will do that day.. you have to already know what you are going to do that day and have a plan on what you are going to do.

Otherwise you are just sitting on the sidelines with no purpose and that's not fun.
Retirement is like pulling out of some young, tight, sexy 'poontang'; you can enjoy what you were once lucky enough to 'have had', but you know it will never quite be the same.

Yeah, you may 'pull' something fresh again in the future, but it will never compare to that 'first time'.

:violin::dancing::trout::violin:

:roflmao::monkey::roflmao:

Njryan

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 25, 2011
Moved to south Florida (Hobe Sound) from Jersey in July. Weather is great, I live close to the beach and with the sea breeze I felt way cooler than Jersey in the summer. The surf is surprisingly pretty consistent here since sept, summer I didn’t see a wave- then again I didn’t head north to Ft. Pierce, Satellite or New Symnra. The quality of waves Jersey def has more power and barrels but there are so many spots and waves to explore. Sharks are there, I see them almost every time so there’s that.

My kids love it…. one of the main reason is they are big in baseball. When they don’t have baseball surf fish and chill. The people are super nice- but pizza is trash but it’s also bad in LA. There’s def an easy place for strike missions to the Caribbean and Central America.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Puerto Rico and Central America are such an easy flight, and 4 day weekends are doable to Rincon and Aguada if you can ever work remote...

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I just turned 56 - I have enough money now to live good and never work again - house in LA is paid off - just sold my house in CO for $750k w no debt on the property - my ex-wife basically kidnapped my kid and took him to CO to live with her new boyfriend so thats why I had 2 house for the last 15 years - he is off to College now at the university of Georgia) - I thought I was going to retire - do a few consulting gigs here and there and cruz around in my camper and surf. What I am finding is that the lest I have to do - the less I do. I need a purpose and this position could give me that purpose. I know it sounds stupid but I do not think I am ready to retire yet. really appreciate the advice here - its your classic mid life crisis. the grass is always greener
Sounds like u r set but why r u challenging duuu’s to fights at the back of carls junior in San Clemente?

Last edited:

eddie webster

OTF status
Aug 26, 2014
remember what occy said. if your a surfer live in a place that has waves. i dont remember what vhs movie the quote came from? at least its only a short plane ride to central america,

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
You have to be ok with the idea that surfing will just become a fun, occasional activity and almost all the spots are C-grade beachbreak. My surf buddy calls it "going for a swim with my surfboard." But strike missions to Centro and the islands are easy.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There are many other factors to consider - More than "You're going to be doing strike missions to Central America and the Carribean all the time" (prob not the reality when all's said and done) and "There's waves on the Space Coast, sometimes."

Because it's so immersive, it's a pretty polarizing place to live...
people tend to love it
or hate it
And those who hate it AND don't speak Spanish hate it with a passion :roflmao:

It is a place where people move to go insane, or move there and then struggle to maintain their sanity.

People say LA is superficial and it makes me chuckle. Miami is that x100.

There's definitely no other city like it.

The choice here is do you want to keep surfing or are you pretty much over it?

And most importantly, what sort of environment - physically and mentally - do you want to exist in?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
A friend of mine is an active surfer (former competitive surfer, spomsored as a kid, blah blah, rips more than most) and is in the USCG. Surfing was the one and only thing from 12-21 and lingered into his current age (39). He started in Key West at the beginning of his career. He's worked in SF Bay, then Southern Oregon, then back to SF Bay (living in Santa Rosa the whole time). He surfs Sonoma Coast actively. He's loved it. If you're there, you've seen/met him.

He's got 4 kids now and he's heading to central Florida for a new assignment. He's psyched. He's happy that he's still be able to surf and that the temps will be much more likely to get his kids into surfing. Mostly, he's excited that his buying power is going to double/triple.

I'd imagine that if surfing is at the forefront of your lifestyle, it's not a good place to live.
At your age, and where you live, I'd imagine you're not chasing perfect, or even pretty good waves, on the daily. With your means, if you were a full surf mongrel, you would have relocated already rather than living in a van in LA. The guys I know like that have bought a home in Bali, Central America, etc. by now and their lifestyle was shaped around it. There's nothing wrong with either version, I just think that one's perception of their connection to surfing is wide and varied but we tend to lean on it more more heavily in our mind than in reality.

As for me? I'm finally starting to consider that surfing only occupies a very small percentage of my active life anymore. It still occupies much of my mental energy and identity, but I don't actually surf all that much, despite living closer to the beach than I ever have. Will I get back to a point where I surf multiple times a week and shape my real life around ocean conditions? Maybe, but by then, I'm pretty sure my ability will be less than it was/is now.

Sounds like you want to build something now that you're not beholden to spending time in Colorado and doing dad stuff. Spend some time in the 305 and see what you like. You sound like you have means and may be open to new experiences, so I'd imagine you can find ways to occupy your time. Don't worry too much about surfing. It won't be on your daily radar.

*all thoughts, opinions, and projections are those of Bob Dobbalina. The accuracy of these statements is thin at best. Apologies in advance if I've mischaracterized you.

Last edited:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
As for me? I'm finally starting to consider that surfing only occupies a very small percentage of my active life anymore. It still occupies much of my mental energy and identity, but I don't actually surf all that much, despite living closer to the beach than I ever have. Will I get back to a point where I surf multiple times a week and shape my real life around ocean conditions? Maybe, but by then, I'm pretty sure my ability will be less than it was/is now.

Yeah. Same.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I felt like a full time surfer on Friday when i surfed for 90 minutes during the work day

Then yesterday, got home from the city by 2 PM, knew there were good waves and wind, but could not motivate for the freezing air temps, and had a distinct lack of energy that almost had me wondering covid? and also left me feeling like a part time, aging surfer. I was less than impressed with myself.

Granted, i had a work crisis kind of flare up while on the train home, so that had to be dealt with when I got home, which further killed what spark of motivation may have been there a few hours prior

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
I have thought long and hard about this same senario.

I'm in the same boat so I'm just going to keep working as long as I can find a way to keep it fun. It hasn't been much fun lately so I need to remedy that.

On to the concept of retirement..

I have decided (for me anyway) that you have to make it like a job.

You can't wake up and wonder what you will do that day.. you have to already know what you are going to do that day and have a plan on what you are going to do.

Otherwise you are just sitting on the sidelines with no purpose and that's not fun.
im 4 months into retirement... once i let go of work structuring my time... im kinda diggin nothing to do

Reactions: keenfish and Truth

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Did I mention Florida is amazing for surf foil yet? I know that middle aged shortboarders who identify as core surfers can't understand it. But foiling will make your life better. Especially if you like snowboarding.

Maybe you need a more high performance turn in your surfing to keep the juices flowing.

Oh, it's endless groomer runs you prefer?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Did I mention Florida is amazing for surf foil yet? I know that middle aged shortboarders who identify as core surfers can't understand it. But foiling will make your life better. Especially if you like snowboarding.

Maybe you need a more high performance turn in your surfing to keep the juices flowing.

Oh, it's endless groomer runs you prefer?

I believe you.
I'm not a "gear" guy. I barely buy surfboards and even with those, I try to keep them pretty simple and don't geek out on new models. I typically talk to shapers I trust, tell them what I want to do/feel and where I'll be, then let them do the work. Otherwise, I pick up something that looks like it might work and blame most issues on operator error.

That being said, I'm sure I would enjoy foiling if I dedicated the time and means to it

Reactions: grapedrink

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah. Same.
Being on the east coast does this automatically for you - I fish more than I surf by far...So if you fish, Florida is the place to be. Sounds like you could at least afford a small 18-21 foot Whaler with a 150 on the back :shaka:

Reactions: keenfish