Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Actually for the time, it was pretty cool. They buried it in 1979. We had to beg for one of our parents to make the drive up there. Fortunately, Oasis was open and closer to home.

Surfboards are like cabinetry. You can order high end local craftsman made or cheap crap from Asia (and locally too). It's up to the consumer to decide what cabinets they want. I'm partial to local craftsman made myself.
If someone who is deep into alternative and innovative cabinetry materials, they might actually appreciate a product that is not just made from straight traditional materials. They might actually prefer a product that is created from alternative innovative materials rather than what everyone else accepts a standard for cabinetry. I myself, am partial to new and creative materials that will not only improve the users experience but last longer than the competition.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
My best ozzy impersonation. Not good? :(
Your use of "no worries" didn't sound quite right. It's usually used in the exact same way an american would say "your welcome" in response to giving some thanks. I have heard it used in the meaning you intended "not a problem for you", i.e "she'll be right", but I think it was because you were being sarcastic it didn't come across quite right.

"mate" can be used in a sarcastic way (normally its a friendly way of addressing people, even strangers). For example if you had said to casa "mate, you've got a small ..." then that would have been regular aussie usage.

Reactions: freeride76

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I've never met an American, especially Californian, be able to get the accent right.

Whereas, conversely, whole legions of Aus actors have been able to nail the American accent.

Exhibit A: Russel Crowe.
genuine question for the US members. I think he was awesome in this role, how is he doing with the accent?

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
If someone who is deep into alternative and innovative cabinetry materials, they might actually appreciate a product that is not just made from straight traditional materials. They might actually prefer a product that is created from alternative innovative materials rather than what everyone else accepts a standard for cabinetry. I myself, am partial to new and creative materials that will not only improve the users experience but last longer than the competition.
So that makes Firewire out to be Ikea. Tell us about their meatballs..

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

What you need to understand is that without the local master craftsman experimenting with "alternative and innovative" materials Firewire would not exist. The tech was developed by a small master craftsman.
As surfwhere noted above, Firewire is the Ikea of surfboards; mass produced, off the shelf and cheaply made.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
genuine question for the US members. I think he was awesome in this role, how is he doing with the accent?
It's not a particular US accent but has slight New Jersey in the undertone. Heath was probably doing more a modified Nicholson impression than an actual American accent variant. I think he did great. There are geographically defined accents and then lighter or stronger accents within those. Here is Nicholson as the joker and the accent of my mother in law.

Reactions: Mr J

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What you need to understand is that without the local master craftsman experimenting with "alternative and innovative" materials Firewire would not exist. The tech was developed by a small master craftsman.
As surfwhere noted above, Firewire is the Ikea of surfboards; mass produced, off the shelf and cheaply made.
You’re wrong man! That is the problem. There’s a huge misunderstanding, and distorted point of view. This appears to be what people think which is not true. The labor might be cheap but the materials are not. The construction is incredible! It really is innovative and a carefully thought out build. What’s funny is most of you people on here that talk crap about their boards have never tried them or even looked closely into how they are made. You just throw it in with all of the other overseas boards and assume they’re junk. I’ve never heard so many people talk about a brand that they have no experience riding as much as people do on here.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
It’s almost like you’re trying to say that if FireWire boards were built by a small local craftsman here in the US, it would be acceptable and OK. But if the boards are built overseas, they are cheap and equivalent to IKEA. Lol. Pretty ridiculous point of view.

The construction is complex to make no matter if it’s built overseas or here in the US. It’s still complicated and still innovative and still a good build with good materials.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Holy cow, 17 pages?

jaysus…. I’m glad I bailed out of making boards when I still had a decent rep….

surfers and shapers are their own worst enemy. “Most” surfers all want something for nothing, and shapers are flaky, but also undercut and undermine each other all the time. Just look at how many social media “fights” there are between shapers. F that…

when i saw that I had to either sponsor (flow boards) a bunch of guys, or start flowing boards to shops and hope to get paid, instead of being respected for just (hopefully) building interesting and quality boards, I quit. Especially with all the social media stars sucking air out of the market. I know a bunch of people who did the same - in a few countries for that matter. Who needs that stress. 15 years was a good run, and I earned the respect of a few of my heroes. Seemed like a perfect time to Turn off the lights and go surf for fun only….

FW is just part of it. Other brands spending fortunes on marketing and pressure plays with shops to carry their boards or they’ll pull the soft goods….. it’s all BS.

it’s been 7 years, maybe more and I haven’t looked back. I could be wrong but surfboards will eventually get where SUP is, a race to the bottom with a few gurus still making a living.

✌out

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
It’s almost like you’re trying to say that if FireWire boards were built by a small local craftsman here in the US, it would be acceptable and OK. But if the boards are built overseas, they are cheap and equivalent to IKEA. Lol. Pretty ridiculous point of view.

The construction is complex to make no matter if it’s built overseas or here in the US. It’s still complicated and still innovative and still a good build with good materials.
Nev, a Firewire co-founder, says 'Talk to a shaper' and get his brand 'made locally'. Why?

Learn to read, cheaply made.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Nev, a Firewire co-founder, says 'Talk to a shaper' and get his brand 'made locally'. Why?

Learn to read, cheaply made.
It's like Nev has a had a quasi-religious epiphany to see the light and next thing you know he'll be telling us his machined shaped boards made from 50's era materials have souls. ;)

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
You too.

Did you forget where you live?

How many days in the past 6 months have been head high or bigger and not closed out? :roflmao:
We had the massive south swell in July, since then, not much.
I just refuse to paddle out in crappy dawn patrol conditions.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Compared to what wave storm then yes state of the art. How many ibolic fireturds have you seen out in skeleton bay or any other heavy line up :shrug: Check footage of legacy construction or any other stretch factory tech and plenty. William Riedel actually learned about epoxy and strength etc making cabinets when he was younger.

Reactions: npsp