Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I always thought a round tail flare paired with a vulture is peak socal shreddage (or whatever the kids are saying these days)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
anyone tried Spearfish? looks like a fairly unusual outline with stage rails through the middle and then the tail narrowing a lot from a wide wing. description sounds like a banjo x GX mashup

image-asset.jpeg

Reactions: jkb and JDJ

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
Leash broke at a rocky wave and the days of my grinder x are now numbered. I went ahead and just put in an online order to Tim but wanted to hear what you guys think.

So my socal quiver is normally two (or three) boards. A fish, an everyday shortboard, and a stepup.

The problem I've had is the borderline OH-DOH days in socal kinda felt like I was in between boards. B12 would be very solid on the sets, but felt a little soft/squishy on the inbetweeners. Grinder X would work on the inbetweeners but would be redlined on the sets.

Has anyone gotten him to tune the grinder x for slightly better waves? What about replacing the grinder x with the blindspot? I never really had issues with getting the grinder x going in waist high waves, so how much of the bottom end would I lose out by going for the blidnspot?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: paunch23 and Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
i have a Blindspot and have owned two Gxs. The BS does not have nearly the same low end as the Gx, IMO. It will have much better lower range than the B12, especially if you have a squash tail BS. But it won’t approach the Gx in that department.

I would get a Blindspot 1 or 2 inches than your Gx and see how it goes. You can always pair that board with a Gx or Flare for more lower range performance if it’s lacking.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I used to DD a blindspot before gx’ing my way down to a flare.

Blindspot at my height with GX 3” under was my sweet spot for some but not too much overlap.

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
There is a zero percent chance that a GX mixed with a GBX would be a bad time.
Without a doubt. Would need to talk to Tim about the rail and foil because I know that I like 2 1/2 on the Gx and Tim’s other shortboards but my Giggle Box and Spark Box are both 2 5/16, which is perfect with the flat deck. Not sure where this one would land.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
i have a Blindspot and have owned two Gxs. The BS does not have nearly the same low end as the Gx, IMO. It will have much better lower range than the B12, especially if you have a squash tail BS. But it won’t approach the Gx in that department.

I would get a Blindspot 1 or 2 inches than your Gx and see how it goes. You can always pair that board with a Gx or Flare for more lower range performance if it’s lacking.
Surfed my Blindspot today at a well known OC break. It rocks but definitely much higher performance than a Gx. Still paddles great but not a grovellor by any stretch.