Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Have been thinking of jumping on the Stamps bandwagon cuz I need a small wave socal board. I've been surfing HB every few weeks or so since I have been traveling to help my elderly father cope. And that is going to happen more often before it stops completely.

I have been borrowing a friends FW Machdo Sunday and am kinda over it.

Thinking quad 5'11-5'10 range 34 L -ish: Rerun, Fritter, Skillet or just fckit and go Dou since I've been tempted by that design for a long time but am concerned it will not work in socal waves.

Opinions?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Have been thinking of jumping on the Stamps bandwagon cuz I need a small wave socal board. I've been surfing HB every few weeks or so since I have been traveling to help my elderly father cope. And that is going to happen more often before it stops completely.

Thinking quad 5'11-5'10 range 34 L -ish: Rerun, Fritter, Skillet or just fckit and go Dou since I've been tempted by that design for a long time but am concerned it will not work in socal waves.

Opinions?
If you want a quad maybe consider the Flare? ReRun would be my pick out of those you've listed.

I would be hesitant to Duo for small socal waves.

Hard to go wrong with Stamps for an HB board.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Hmm. For sure ask Tim.

Rerun is a step down hpsb based on the GrinderX. If you want that type of design, I would also look at a Flare which may have a better low end but probably not by much. Both would be good.

Never tried a fritter or skillet. More niche type boards.

I would also look at a Fuse if you want a quad. But that’s more of a fishy type board, if that’s your thing. That new model the banana fish also looks fun with a similar range.

Tim makes boards for typical So Cal beach breaks. If you let him know what you’re thinking, he’ll point you in the right direction.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

Opinions?
wtfo with keels or quad

Reactions: JDJ
Oct 25, 2019
Leash broke at a rocky wave and the days of my grinder x are now numbered. I went ahead and just put in an online order to Tim but wanted to hear what you guys think.

So my socal quiver is normally two boards. An everyday shortboard and a stepup. Right now it's the grinder x and his b12 stepup.

The problem I've had is the borderline OH-DOH days in socal kinda felt like I was in between boards. B12 would be very solid on the sets, but felt a little soft/squishy on the inbetweeners. Grinder X would work on the inbetweeners but would be redlined on the sets.

Has anyone gotten him to tune the grinder x for slightly better waves? What about replacing the grinder x with the blindspot? I never really had issues with getting the grinder x going in waist high waves, so how much of the bottom end would I lose out by going for the blidnspot?
I have a B12, and pair it with a CI NB2 for most short board days.

I too feel a larger gap than I was anticipating with the B12. Once the surf is approaching doh, I’m on a blackbird, so perhaps it’s more step up than I needed.

I have also found it doesn’t go well in anything less than head high, and even there it wants some punch to get moving.

Have you had any luck pairing fins with your B12 for when you’re pushing it’s lower limit? For waves it was intended for I’m using JJF large sides with medium trailer.

Reactions: misterhat and JDJ

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
I have a B12, and pair it with a CI NB2 for most short board days.

I too feel a larger gap than I was anticipating with the B12. Once the surf is approaching doh, I’m on a blackbird, so perhaps it’s more step up than I needed.

I have also found it doesn’t go well in anything less than head high, and even there it wants some punch to get moving.

Have you had any luck pairing fins with your B12 for when you’re pushing it’s lower limit? For waves it was intended for I’m using JJF large sides with medium trailer.
I've only ridden the B12 stepup once during that October south swell in socal. Kinda hard to explain the setup without giving it away, but I used the glass EA’s when I rode it during that October socal south swell. High tide at first and the B12 wasn't going on the head high kinda flat waves. Once the tide dropped an outer reef started working and it was great. Really feel like the top end of the 6'2" B12 stepup is a lot bigger than my similarly sized stepups but we'll see.

I think I'm gonna go with the blindspot.

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
this is you're problem
Yeah my approach to quivers is probably bad for shapers bottom line. Also it's technically 3 boards if you include the stepup, but 99% of my surfing is done on a 5'8" x 19 3/4" fish or a 5'9" x 19ish" hpsb. As a kid I could only afford one or two boards at most so I just got used to that. If I'm swapping out boards a lot with a big quiver I surf like sh!t. So when ordering boards I make sure they all complement each other.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Yeah my approach to quivers is probably bad for shapers bottom line. Also it's technically 3 boards if you include the stepup, but 99% of my surfing is done on a 5'8" x 19 3/4" fish or a 5'9" x 19ish" hpsb. As a kid I could only afford one or two boards at most so I just got used to that. If I'm swapping out boards a lot with a big quiver I surf like sh!t. So when ordering boards I make sure they all complement each other.
what do you ride when it's hugeat home or you're travelling and surfing double overhead+? Just the step up?

misterhat

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2007
what do you ride when it's hugeat home or you're travelling and surfing double overhead+? Just the step up?
Yeah mostly. I also own a 6'6" and a 6'10" but those boards are old and I never really felt I needed them that much around here. I think I've used the 6'10" in southern CA once. You just don't need much board at the waves I surf. Also I'd ride a modern 6'1 or 6'2" stepup in waves I'd be on a 6'6" or 6'8" 10-15 years ago.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Yeah mostly. I also own a 6'6" and a 6'10" but those boards are old and I never really felt I needed them that much around here. I think I've used the 6'10" in southern CA once. You just don't need much board at the waves I surf. Also I'd ride a modern 6'1 or 6'2" stepup in waves I'd be on a 6'6" or 6'8" 10-15 years ago.
How would you describe the difference between the modern vs 15 year old step ups? Modern- wider and thicker?

Reactions: misterhat