Surfing is Broken

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I’ve found certain spots are becoming more regulated, not less.

and it’s like a modern day version of regulation with regulators of the regulators. aim to intimidate while not getting sued. that sort of stuff. Lol.
Did they have 5/4 hoodie matuse suits on with booties :shrug:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I have also seen more regulation at a couple spots I surf. But the next peak over is still absolute chaos.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I have also seen more regulation at a couple spots I surf. But the next peak over is still absolute chaos.
the “polite” regulators are not sending people in. They send them to the “main” peak.

I’ve also watched “polite” regulators regulate “aggro” regulators. not wanting the break making its way onto the local news/IG have come up.

chas writing an article about his beloved home break in 3,2,1…

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've seen quite a few people get sent back to the adjacent peak where straighthanders and party waves are not out of the question

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I saw a fair few refugees from the normal 'main' peak downbeach over the summer.

I am seeing lots of 'best peak' is now a containment zone. Some decent people, 95% of the one-man-crowds, and 95% of the k00ks.

If the one-man-crowds make their way down the beach in the future, I might falsely befriend them and then...it was the Apple Watch + Surfline that'll get 'em fucked off back to the sarcophagus/New Safe Confinement? Unsecret Santa Mode on standby.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
This probably deserves its own thread in the General Forum, but I think it also fits here as further evidence that surfing is broken. If @Subway has anything to do with this, his mod badge should be pulled.
http://instagr.am/p/CkBT8IsA6KS/

From their website

They show their address as
86 Precision Way
SHIRLEY, NY

HAHAHA
Where’s all my strong-island bois at?

——————-
Crest New York is the world’s only private member surf club. As a Crest local, you will be a pioneer–forging a new path in global surf culture and lifestyle. Drawn in by the infinite perfect waves, it’s the people and experiences that will make Crest your surf club for life.

————————-

“The Crest experience is the ultimate luxury as a surfer—sharing uncrowded perfect waves at an idyllic local break with your people, when you want. With a deep appreciation of the New York surf community, we’ve crafted a member experience that will meet the expectations of discerning local surfers.

Adrian Tobin, KInlab
Crest Experience Design

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Shirley is such a bizarre town for this. It’s outside of the “commuter ring” from the city. The waves there are all about the barrier island at smith point or Westhampton maybe, which can have their moments but it’s hardly a booming surf zone. Most of those central Suffolk guys either drive here or points east whenever there is real swell in the water

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Subway did they privatize beach for this goonery and now they control a 'spot' or is it spread out B-grade and they aren't actually barring locals who don't join Crest?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
There used to be a fairly localized crew at Smith Point (not a "point break" just a point of the barrier island chain) which is probably one of the closer and most consistent zones to Shirley. No way they can privatize even an inch of it. it's either public, or full on protected national seashore (also public)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How bad is the spot? Is it a sandlot you need DoD-level directions from Sharkbiscuit, just to get your ass whipped (relative to the surf on offer) for a couple onshore sections with fisherman building wax dolls of you and feeding them to every juvenile bonnethead shark they reel in, praying for your imminent death by attempted predation-induced catastrophic blood loss?

It's not better than the primo jetties in LB and Rockaway? It's not better than the epic, peaky Doritos at Random Guido?

I mean Tavarua pre-surf decree didn't claim it that hard. Crew are posting like it's Pasta Point or Lohifushi with a Euros/Israelis need not apply sign.