Surfing is Broken

I am currently considering membership, will have a call with more people in the coming weeks. I need to know the numbers regarding fallibility rate, maximum members, maximum hours per week one can book, etc, etc. If it makes sense to me I'll invite you :LOL:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Lineup etiquette is broken. Can’t believe the sh*t I’m seeing out there
OK I have to insert my little rant here.

Today I went out to my local spot, one I've been surfing for close to 50 years. This past year there has been this 20 something hipster with long hair who rides a pink long fish. I crack up when I see him on a wave because his arms and body are gyrating but the board is going straight. He must think he has insta loc status because he's out there a lot now days.

So I paddle out and see him sitting way outside (his board might be close to 10 feet, really long). A set wave comes and he scratches wildly and manages to chase it down from outside. When he comes back out he paddles right around me and the rest of the pack and sits outside. Next set comes and I'm up and riding and then hear him yelling me off the wave. Like screaming. I kick out and am thinking, "Really? OK. Game on." He paddles back out and again paddles past and sits outside. So I just paddle a little deeper. And I kept riding him like that every time he paddled back out. He would paddle past me. "Oh yeah?" I would just paddle over and sit deeper. "All your waves are mine!" Even if it meant we were sitting too deep. He might have got the message and paddled in. I will do that to him from now on, every time I see him.

What a contrast to a session I had on Monday where I paddled out to a small beach break peak that already had four longboarders on it ( I was on a shortboard). I sat off to the side and they let me into the rotation. It was perfectly orderly, each guy taking his turn. Then some shortboarders came out and ruined the rotation, started back paddling and generally hassling.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
OK I have to insert my little rant here.

Today I went out to my local spot, one I've been surfing for close to 50 years. This past year there has been this 20 something hipster with long hair who rides a pink long fish. I crack up when I see him on a wave because his arms and body are gyrating but the board is going straight. He must think he has insta loc status because he's out there a lot now days.

So I paddle out and see him sitting way outside (his board might be close to 10 feet, really long). A set wave comes and he scratches wildly and manages to chase it down from outside. When he comes back out he paddles right around me and the rest of the pack and sits outside. Next set comes and I'm up and riding and then hear him yelling me off the wave. Like screaming. I kick out and am thinking, "Really? OK. Game on." He paddles back out and again paddles past and sits outside. So I just paddle a little deeper. And I kept riding him like that every time he paddled back out. He would paddle past me. "Oh yeah?" I would just paddle over and sit deeper. "All your waves are mine!" Even if it meant we were sitting too deep. He might have got the message and paddled in. I will do that to him from now on, every time I see him.

What a contrast to a session I had on Monday where I paddled out to a small beach break peak that already had four longboarders on it ( I was on a shortboard). I sat off to the side and they let me into the rotation. It was perfectly orderly, each guy taking his turn. Then some shortboarders came out and ruined the rotation, started back paddling and generally hassling.
Establishing dominance is important especially where hipsters are concerned

Reactions: averagejoe