YOLO ALERTS

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Was walking out the door last evening when I found a surfboard box in the entryway! Quite the surprise as Dark Arts never let me know the board was finished or shipped. Open the box and found the 6'0 round tail inferno 72 I ordered about 12 weeks ago. Was a bit surprised though... I was expecting a slightly different artwork scheme bc I've seen a few on the rack with real clean white decks but oh well. The thing I'm more bummed about is that the nose is pretty crushed. Probably the worst surfboard pack job I've seen. There was no padding around the nose... just a piece of cardboard that the board punched through. Should I say something / complain?

IMG_0573.jpegIMG_0574.jpeg

Board feels pretty good. Definitely looking forward to giving it a go. Loved my 5'10 x 19.25 x 2.65 I72 but it was a bit too small for me so I sold it. This one is 6'0 x 19 1/8 x 2.65.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Was walking out the door last evening when I found a surfboard box in the entryway! Quite the surprise as Dark Arts never let me know the board was finished or shipped. Open the box and found the 6'0 round tail inferno 72 I ordered about 12 weeks ago. Was a bit surprised though... I was expecting a slightly different artwork scheme bc I've seen a few on the rack with real clean white decks but oh well. The thing I'm more bummed about is that the nose is pretty crushed. Probably the worst surfboard pack job I've seen. There was no padding around the nose... just a piece of cardboard that the board punched through. Should I say something / complain?

View attachment 136684View attachment 136685

Board feels pretty good. Definitely looking forward to giving it a go. Loved my 5'10 x 19.25 x 2.65 I72 but it was a bit too small for me so I sold it. This one is 6'0 x 19 1/8 x 2.65.
Nice board bummer about the damage

Reactions: jkb and ChaseTMP

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008

View attachment 136684View attachment 136685

absolutely say something.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah I would definitely say something. sh!t happens and I've had boards that were very well packaged and still had dings but expecting your board to arrive with adequate packaging is the least one should expect from any board maker. That's especially true when it's basically the most expensive board on the market. Skimping on packaging is so short-sighted. What is it a few bucks in materials for a $1300+ board?

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
oh man, coincidentally, my DA I72's nose broke during my last surf trip! The force I put on it was insignificant during normal surfing. I suspect it had been damaged / repaired prior.

In the end, I'm going to slap some thickened epoxy on there and call it a 5'9 now.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Just sent them an email. Has anyone else said anything to them about this? These are quite bad packaging jobs. Clearly avoidable damage.
They must be aware that boards are getting damaged as we’re (the erBB) most likely a small percentage of their customer base.

Obviously, they’re not indestructible and when people are paying a premium, they should arrive immaculate.

Varial does a very good packing job. My 5th one should arrive in a week or two. I’ll try to remember to take a couple of unboxing photos. It’s nothing crazy, but it seems to work.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
They must be aware that boards are getting damaged as we’re (the erBB) most likely a small percentage of their customer base.

Obviously, they’re not indestructible and when people are paying a premium, they should arrive immaculate.

Varial does a very good packing job. My 5th one should arrive in a week or two. I’ll try to remember to take a couple of unboxing photos. It’s nothing crazy, but it seems to work.
Every stretch bord got custom has arrived perfect condition and when average joe ran shop he even sent me a stretch beer mug damage free:cheers: