*** Official Outerknown Tahiti Pro Contest Thread ***

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
According to this article:

"The correct spelling is "Teahupo'o," and it should be pronounced correctly as "tear-hoo-poh-oh." If you can't say it, avoid the common alternatives "cho-poo" or "chopes" - the Polynesians don't have the "ch" sound."

https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/what-does-teahupoo-mean
Nice article.

I'm just telling you how the people who lived there said it.

Second time I went I was the only whitey, so I only spoke garbled French and Tahitian to my hosts, friends, people in the village.

I only heard the local people say it the way Bourez did in the vid above.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Nice article.

I'm just telling you how the people who lived there said it.

Second time I went I was the only whitey, so I only spoke garbled French and Tahitian to my hosts, friends, people in the village.

I only heard the local people say it the way Bourez did in the vid above.
It sounds like there is a simple explanation here. Cho poo is common slang to refer to the spot but not the correct Tahitian language pronunciation. Cho poo was probably started as a mispronunciation by non-Tahitians, a very common thing in colonized places.

I actually commend the WSL for trying to pronounce it the right way. Shows respect to the indigenous people and their language.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
OK, I guess that could be true.

It would surprise me if Tahitians referred to it by that name, to each other, if it was a mispronunciation.

That seems a bit patronising to me, but I guess it could be true.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I dont really care what the proper pronunciation is...the way turdpel says it is like nails on a chalkboard. Its as if he is trying sound out the word in order to learn to read t- he- aaaaa-oo P -o-o. That guy is the worst, no clue why he has stayed so long other than he can come up with meaningless monotone word salad to fill the downtime.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
OK, I guess that could be true.

It would surprise me if Tahitians referred to it by that name, to each other, if it was a mispronunciation.

That seems a bit patronising to me, but I guess it could be true.
Well maybe the Tahitians don't care either way, who knows? Maybe it's just a nickname to them and not seen as disrespect?

One example of this happening in the US is Lake Tahoe which is a mispronunciation of the Washoe name of the place for thousands of years, Daow. The Washoe still refer to it as Daow amongst themselves, and prefer for a name change. The dumb thing is Daow means "The Lake" so colonial settlers called it "Lake Lake."

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Bless you, Sponge. Doing everything you can to keep this train on the tracks.
Typical erBB with all the tangentiation to other topics.

Btw, when you guys come to Hawaii you better pronounce Pipeline correctly or I going sic the Hui on you. The phonetic pronunciation by true locals is: pee-pay-lee-nay

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
Typical erBB with all the tangentiation to other topics.

Btw, when you guys come to Hawaii you better pronounce Pipeline correctly or I going sic the Hui on you. The phonetic pronunciation by true locals is: pee-pay-lee-nay
and all these years i thought it was pi pi li nee

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
not wrong little fella, edumucate yoself

living in HI for a number of years and you become keen to the pronunciations of a similar language

I don't take sh!t from people, especially those who don't even stand taller than my nipples :monkey:
suck your own man t!ts, ya kook. you "lived" in hawaii? sure brah. love to see you punched out for telling people how to pronounce their own language. did you surf pee pee lee nee, brah? you sure put a lot of emphasis on height. gotta make up for your lack of pepis (man parts) i guess? see ya, vagina man.

Last edited: