Best Flip Flops?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Most "flip flops" now are like SUVs for your feet as Casa says- way overbuilt and unnecessary.

Do I really want to open a beer with a bottle opener that has all the sh!t I've walked through on it (I'm looking at you Reef Mick Fannings)?

No, they're called flip flops like the rest of the planet wears.

Not some bulky semi-athletic shoe made for fatfoot 'Mericans by Reef or whateverthehell.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My go to. Definitely going to be well received here. They’ve got flip flop mode and 4x4. Good grip wet or dry and made in America. I used to be big into minimalist running, not so much anymore but these are still my first choice for every day sandals. There’s thick contoured ones if you have more sensitive feet, but they lack flip flop mode.
Banana hammock for yer feet:shrug:

Reactions: Havoc

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm a Reef fan (although I do miss their older ads... heh heh).

Rover's have been one of my favorites for water friendly that I don't mind grinding a dirty foot into. They have wide straps, arch support, and the rubber foot bed is more solid / durable that the Cushion footbed they have which is more spongy.

Say what you want about the durability of Reef vs. other brands. I try to stay away from completely submerging my sandals in water, let alone sea water. It's all about the adhesive which holds the toe strap and the outsole which will simply dry rot and come apart sooner if you continually submerge them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
LOL @ expensive flipflops

These are best:

Been wearing them for many years, usually go through a pair about once eveyr year or two...the traction on the sole lasts longer then most which is a big plus if it's wet out.

Cheap enough to replace if you lose one too.
Atrocious. The strap is way too thin and there is zero arch support.

Dude, what is your address, I'm sending you some Reef's asap. Phantoms are tried and true and can be had for like $30.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm a Reef fan (although I do miss their older ads... heh heh).

Rover's have been one of my favorites for water friendly that I don't find grinding a dirty foot into. They have wide straps, arch support, and the rubber foot bed is more solid / durable that the Cushion footbed they have which is more spongy.

Say what you want about the durability of Reef vs. other brands. I try to stay away from completely submerging my sandals in water, let alone sea water. It's all about the adhesive which holds the toe strap and the outsole which will simply dry rot and come apart sooner if you continually submerge them.
The old reef adds were classic! Tastful yet edgy! Reef... if you're listening, you should bring them back. No she/men asses though! Thanks.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Atrocious. The strap is way too thin and there is zero arch support.

Dude, what is your address, I'm sending you some Reef's asap. Phantoms are tried and true and can be had for like $30.

Thanks for the offer but not a fan of arch support. I’ve been wearing those flops for 20 years.I mostly barefoot the rest of the time. Very rarely do I even wear anything driving. Driving in shoes feels weird.

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
The old reef adds were classic! Tastful yet edgy! Reef... if you're listening, you should bring them back. No she/men asses though! Thanks.
i looked forward to that ad on page 2 of ing/er each month.

ESM took it a bit edgier. don't ask me how i know newspaper pull apart as nicely compared to glossy!

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Most "flip flops" now are like SUVs for your feet as Casa says- way overbuilt and unnecessary.

Do I really want to open a beer with a bottle opener that has all the sh!t I've walked through on it (I'm looking at you Reef Mick Fannings)?
Those pos's are still sold? Might as well be walking around in bike cleats. Those things jacked my stairs up bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Thanks for the offer but not a fan of arch support. I’ve been wearing those flops for 20 years.I mostly barefoot the rest of the time. Very rarely do I even wear anything driving. Driving in shoes feels weird.
Suit yourself. I cant argue that using the natural body alone can be a good thing.

Still, if I'm out and about for hours on pavement, a little support and padding is also a good thing.

This thread prompted me to replace my only pair of 'white' flip flops, which are over 10 years old and pretty dirty by now. The new ones show up tomorrow.

Anyone remember the old Reef Machados circa 2008 with the recycled car tire outsoles? :geek:

Last edited: