*** Official Fin Thread ***

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Yo, fin people.

I need a recommendation for a trailer fin (Futures base). I'm putting twins in the front position of my Hess Traveler with 5 boxes. Danny said he designed the fin placement for this option. He suggests adding a trailer. Anyone know where I can get one?

I looked on ...

True Ames - sold out.
Futures - Only a ...Lost honeycomb option.
Captain Fin - Doesn't sell a stand alone trailer.

Thanks!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yo, fin people.

I need a recommendation for a trailer fin (Futures base). I'm putting twins in the front position of my Hess Traveler with 5 boxes. Danny said he designed the fin placement for this option. He suggests adding a trailer. Anyone know where I can get one?

I looked on ...

True Ames - sold out.

Thanks!

or maybe a woody for your hess?

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Yo, fin people.

I looked on ...

True Ames - sold out.

Thanks!
I like this one in my Akila. Its a hair bigger than the t1 trailer if your familiar with that twin set.

Reactions: bluengreen

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I like this one in my Akila. Its a hair bigger than the t1 trailer if your familiar with that twin set.
what happens if your trailer is stiffer/more flexible material than your mains? Would it be noticeable?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
what happens if your trailer is stiffer/more flexible material than your mains? Would it be noticeable?
My front fins are Brian Bill Akila pivots in solid fiberglass and they match up well with the NVS trailer. Dont think I would want a lot of flex on my trailer and stiffer solids up front because when I put a trailer in I'm looking for stability. I liked the Machado twin +1 set also which was all blackstix, but never tried sticking a solid glass one as its trailer or vice versa. In my head, it seems like you wouldn't want all your fins flexing too differently

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
$25 and G10. Mucho apprecianato, amigo

Reactions: trifish

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Twin fins for twinks. New DJ's or Akila's?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Twin fins for twinks. New DJ's or Akila's?

How far back are your fins set? the DJ twins are for his placements which is quite a bit back from others.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
How far back are your fins set? the DJ twins are for his placements which is quite a bit back from others.
This would be for a 5'5 Album Plasmic. Might throw them in a burch picklefork for kicks. I'm 160 lb.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
This would be for a 5'5 Album Plasmic. Might throw them in a burch picklefork for kicks. I'm 160 lb.
I have a 5’5 plasmic (5’4 width and thicc) and think these both may be too small. I’ve been running around 20.5 - 21.5 sq-in fins. Been meaning to try the Zach Flores set in it but haven’t yet.

i think @oeste858 tried the aipas and didn’t like them in the plasmic but does like smaller fins in his like the t1 and rasta sets.

Reactions: encladd

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
the aipas go amazing in his boars. I’ve used them in various twins just fine, but prefer the album x shapers fins in most of them (TM, LB, Townsend) now. I liked the Rasta/T1s in the Plasmic too… but apparently I’m in the minority there. Actually haven’t ridden the Plasmic in months now.
FWIW I also tend to prefer more upright fins in general (thrusters, etc)

Reactions: sdsrfr and encladd

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I have a 5’5 plasmic (5’4 width and thicc) and think these both may be too small. I’ve been running around 20.5 - 21.5 sq-in fins. Been meaning to try the Zach Flores set in it but haven’t yet.

i think @oeste858 tried the aipas and didn’t like them in the plasmic but does like smaller fins in his like the t1 and rasta sets.
Was eyeing the flores set. I'll be surfing them in some mush so the wide base is probably something I need to prioritize so that seems about right.