Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

Oct 15, 2015
I’m a little late to the party, but this thread brings back some memories. Lots of great advice and I’ll echo the support for the community college route. I was an above average student in high school, NCSD. I applied to about 5 UCs, way overestimated my application and found myself without any acceptances. Devastated and humbled at the time. In retrospect, I honestly don’t think I was focused or mature enough out of HS for the full college experience and probably would have floundered. I spent 2.5 years at a SD community college. It bought me some time, allowed me to narrow down my interests and save a ton of $$$. I had quite a few amazing teachers in the lower division courses at the JC, not just lecturers forced to instruct as part of their funding. Ended up transferring fairly seamlessly to UCSD (some version of the UC TAG program) and honestly feel that the instruction at the JC prepared me extremely well for the upper division courses at UCSD. Graduated summa cum laude with department honors. No debt. Spent a few years as a researcher at the Salk Institute. From there, 4 years at UCSDs med school, then residency training at UCSD, and then got hired on as faculty at UCSD. I think the stigma around junior/community college education has really disappeared over the last few years, and for most, there is little downside.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My eldest nephew just basically melted down as soon as he got to UT Austin…

super smart kid, fairly normal, could have gotten into much better schools but wanted to save his parents a bundle and stay in the UT system (they live outside Dallas). Smart, mature kid, we all thought (and he is, don’t get me wrong) but the poor guy got there and just shut down. Couldn’t go to class, hardly left his dorm all fall, and finally came clean to my sister and brother in law Just as my mom had her stroke a few weeks ago. Good timing kid

They took him home, got him a therapist and he was allowed to withdraw from school and come back next spring with no penalty, if he chooses. Everyone is pretty screwed up about it over at my sisters place right now. Angry, worried about him, all the things. Like, suicide watch almost, with the kid all ashamed and embarrassed about everything. I know this kid, he is a mess right now

The parents are both angry and sad and confused and im sure they’re wondering what they did “wrong”. Usually the first born is independent, but, I think nephew #1 grew up middle of “peak” helicopter-parenting era or at least that’s part of it…He went from his little suburban bubble into the Maw of UT Austin and his poor little brain said nope nope nope nope nope and literally shut him down.

not really all that uncommon I don’t think. Though more often, when you hear of a freshman year collapse, drugs and booze and vice in general are involved. But not this kid. He’s so well behaved and disinterested in “partying” it’s almost weird in its own right.

It’s something else. Maybe even along the lines of agoraphobia or some other clinical thing. Sorry TLDR but is been weighing on me, and it’s kind of on topic. I was exchanging texts with him just days before he “came clean” so to speak, and he definitely told me he was having a hard time adjusting to college life and I told him I struggled too, and I him some encouraging words, but talk about too little too late. He was home less that a week later with two baffled and distraught parents

keeping it erBB related, Uncle @PPK96754 met my eldest nephew back in 2017. My nephew had a GREAT time at that dinner, loved uncles stories. He’s a good kid but he just went blank at school.
Not to be insensitive, but has he tried getting some pussy?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I've heard this story 100 times at least and have witnessed it happen to super smart creative kids. It's really just a maturity thing. Parents probably did coddle him too much and he is having culture shock compounded by the weeding out process the teachers put freshmen through. Going to CC and getting a part time job to see how the real world works will be an eye opener. When I finally graduated, I was like holy fuck the real world is so much harder, I want to go back to my surf school. My friend nearly dropped out of engineering school. Enrolled in the navy before being expelled for too low GPA. Sat in a nuclear submarine for a couple years. Came back and breezed through school. He said sitting in his dorm staring out the window and doing homework is 100x better than sitting in that tin can getting irradiated everyday. He could careless about all the parties and titties running past his window.

Reactions: PJ and bluemarlin04

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Not to be insensitive, but has he tried getting some pussy?
I didn't believe it until I heard it from his younger brother, but apparently my kind of nerdy, kind of hipster eldest nephew, despite keeping mainly to himself and his very small crew of fellow hip-nerds, was a total babe magnet in high school. He's handsome, and has a really sharp wit when he chooses to engage, and apparently the girls threw themselves at him all through high school and he got laid whenever he felt like it.

Reactions: racer1

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Too much pussy can fuck you up too.

Every girl you see becomes a kunt to fuck.

That doesn't really work in this society.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
It’s never too late to go back to school.

My wife went back in 2019 right before covid hit. She was the oldest in all her classes and continued to work fulltime. Mid-late 40’s. Zoom classes worked great in her situation. Got a Masters of Law (two years of law classes) which has really benefited her for work. Really cool program and surprised it is not utilized more.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It’s never too late to go back to school.

My wife went back in 2019 right before covid hit. She was the oldest in all her classes and continued to work fulltime. Mid-late 40’s. Zoom classes worked great in her situation. Got a Masters of Law (two years of law classes) which has really benefited her for work. Really cool program and surprised it is not utilized more.
Where?

My girl friend might be interested in this.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
The kids from the UC system are great at theory but in my experience lack practicality in their ideas/designs. The CSU/Cal Poly kids are taught how to make things that work vs things that should work.
Yes, that is partially true. You can either take the design or analysis route in the aerospace engineering world. In the analysis side of things, I found out the UC’s colleagues with a few years under their belt who moved on IRAD/CRAD (Independent Research & Development/Customer or Contract Research & Development) side of things were superior.

The recent graduates of UC schools did not feel comfortable touching hardware. The CS’s students were more comfortable with a soldering iron, DVM or oscilloscope! UC kids were more comfortable using analysis tools i.e., Mathlab etc.

Reactions: npsp

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I didn't believe it until I heard it from his younger brother, but apparently my kind of nerdy, kind of hipster eldest nephew, despite keeping mainly to himself and his very small crew of fellow hip-nerds, was a total babe magnet in high school. He's handsome, and has a really sharp wit when he chooses to engage, and apparently the girls threw themselves at him all through high school and he got laid whenever he felt like it.
I'd guess he's never worked a day in his life or had to shop, feed, clothe, and clean for himself....

I got kicked out of high school, left home at 18, graduated via home study and was working in a recycling warehouse for my uncle from 6am to 6p daily sorting glass bottles and baling cardboard

the only upside was living with my grandmother at the time and coming home to her cooking every day

talk about fkn motivation to go to college

my eldest just turned 14...I told him he just leveled-up on the chore ladder and is now responsible for cooking one meal a week for the family...I've been very clear that the entire thrust of my fathering is to prepare them to be successful out of the house.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'd guess he's never worked a day in his life or had to shop, feed, clothe, and clean for himself....

I got kicked out of high school, left home at 18, graduated via home study and was working in a recycling warehouse for my uncle from 6am to 6p daily sorting glass bottles and baling cardboard

the only upside was living with my grandmother at the time and coming home to her cooking every day

my eldest just turned 14...I told him he just leveled-up on the chore ladder and is now responsible for cooking one meal a week for the family...I've been very clear that the entire thrust of my fathering is to prepare them to be successful out of the house.
What is his favorite thing to cook?

I love a steak, sweet potato, salad and avocado.

I can whip that up fast and it taste great.

I made spaghetti with meat ball last weekend.

That is pretty good too

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The kids from the UC system are great at theory but in my experience lack practicality in their ideas/designs. The CSU/Cal Poly kids are taught how to make things that work vs things that should work.
The UCs are set up to produce grad students and PhDs. The applied science profs - at least in engineering - tend to be all thumbs in the lab. The highest profile professors tend to be good at winning grant money but are not good at engineering.

This is pretty bad actually. There used to be more industry partnerships with the UC that resulted in engineers that could do something. Those ties have weakened.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
What is his favorite thing to cook?

I love a steak, sweet potato, salad and avocado.

I can whip that up fast and it taste great.

I made spaghetti with meat ball last weekend.

That is pretty good too
he's the asshole who decided to be a vegetarian

constantly complaining that I don't cook good vegetarian food

this contributed to his **promotion**

ffs...these kids

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I’m sorry, but :roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
And he’s the oldest :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

For the three of them you’re minimum 15 years out.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
he's the asshole who decided to be a vegetarian

constantly complaining that I don't cook good vegetarian food

this contributed to his **promotion**

ffs...these kids
So he can't cook meat?

Does he love carbs?

Grilled vegetables are the bomb.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
My eldest nephew just basically melted down as soon as he got to UT Austin…

super smart kid, fairly normal, could have gotten into much better schools but wanted to save his parents a bundle and stay in the UT system (they live outside Dallas). Smart, mature kid, we all thought (and he is, don’t get me wrong) but the poor guy got there and just shut down. Couldn’t go to class, hardly left his dorm all fall, and finally came clean to my sister and brother in law Just as my mom had her stroke a few weeks ago. Good timing kid

They took him home, got him a therapist and he was allowed to withdraw from school and come back next spring with no penalty, if he chooses. Everyone is pretty screwed up about it over at my sisters place right now. Angry, worried about him, all the things. Like, suicide watch almost, with the kid all ashamed and embarrassed about everything. I know this kid, he is a mess right now

The parents are both angry and sad and confused and im sure they’re wondering what they did “wrong”. Usually the first born is independent, but, I think nephew #1 grew up middle of “peak” helicopter-parenting era or at least that’s part of it…He went from his little suburban bubble into the Maw of UT Austin and his poor little brain said nope nope nope nope nope and literally shut him down.

not really all that uncommon I don’t think. Though more often, when you hear of a freshman year collapse, drugs and booze and vice in general are involved. But not this kid. He’s so well behaved and disinterested in “partying” it’s almost weird in its own right.

It’s something else. Maybe even along the lines of agoraphobia or some other clinical thing. Sorry TLDR but is been weighing on me, and it’s kind of on topic. I was exchanging texts with him just days before he “came clean” so to speak, and he definitely told me he was having a hard time adjusting to college life and I told him I struggled too, and I him some encouraging words, but talk about too little too late. He was home less that a week later with two baffled and distraught parents

keeping it erBB related, Uncle @PPK96754 met my eldest nephew back in 2017. My nephew had a GREAT time at that dinner, loved uncles stories. He’s a good kid but he just went blank at school.
College is often a spark for depression etc. Hope he figures it out.

Reactions: Mr Doof and ringer

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah that definitely has us all concerned, . I went to NYU- I don't know if its true every year, or maybe it's trended down in recent years, but in my day and for whatever reason, NYU was consistently the national leader in freshman suicides. f-ing gnarly. Our library is infamous for the amount of jumpers off the 6th floor balconies into the lobby. I think there were like 7 in the library alone just in my freshman year. Maybe the combined shock and pressure of a giant and intimidating University, in the heart of the biggest city in the country? Just complete system overload for some poor kids that just aren't wired to handle it?

• Wow
Reactions: LifeOnMars

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
While this could be true, I didn’t interpret it that way. Going to a giant school where you have minimal social ties (assumption) can be intimating at that age. It happens. Lots of freshmen do not have the American Pie/Racer1 Chapman experience (btw can we ban that guy already?).

Damn I had no idea you were such a fookup