Dang, my kid didn’t get into any public CA University with a 4.2 GPA that was applied to.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I don’t know what freaks me out more. Autoprax being his normal self on here, or this other deeply empathetic and enlightened educator Autoprax who surfaces occasionally, in between the usual sex, drug, and scatological jokes, or jokes often involving all three… Sensitive new age guy Autoprax may actually be more unsettling

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Thank you internet fam. IRL subway fam has been taking some beatings and hard losses recently, with aunt Wanda up next to make the final journey. Stage 5 Parkinson’s. Hasn’t eaten in several weeks, barely sips fluids, in hospice and she will be on her way any moment now. Luckily my mom survived her stroke and recovered quickly enough to have long proper sisterly good bye video calls. Wanda is at peace and ready to go
Well, Aunt Wanda hung on a bit longer than expected, but last night, she told her husband she was ready to go as soon as the hospice nurse had left for the evening. Wanda was a very private person and we think she just wanted to pass in private, with her husband by her side. I sh!t you not, FIVE minutes after the hospice nurse left, she took her final peaceful breath. RIP Aunt Wanda.

in better news, my mother continues her meteoric recovery from last months stroke.

life is exhausting sometimes, but it’s worth every moment.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Yeah they introduced him to a highly recommended therapist nearby and apparently nephew #1 immediately took a liking to the guy, and from what my sister says, he’s bummed and disappointed and guilt ridden and all but understands that these things do happen sometimes even to bright responsible high achievers, and that he is on board with getting the help he needs to grow from the experience and not let it become something that echoes into the next decade or more of his young life. He’s a pretty sensitive kid inside his oddball sardonic sense of humor
Maybe kind of late response but I had a similar kind of breakdown first semester in.I think for me it was the realization that I was on my own (parents were both remarried and had kind of moved on). I has jumped through all the hoops to get there and all of the sudden was like "what happens if I fail at this" Had a overwhelming anxiety attack. It was short lived and I got over it quickly. Exercise and distractions help. Isolating yourself and skipping class is the worst thing you can do because it just fuels the fire.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah and unfortunately that’s exactly what he did. Barely left his dorm all fall and winter; didn’t go to class. Just sat there stewing in his guilt, confusion, depression, etc. as an uncle I want to step up somehow, and to an extent, I did by sharing with him my own struggles and the “challenege avoidance” that was my MO through stern. Maybe it at least helped him feel less alone. We are hopefully going to have him stay with us in Long Beach this summer, get him a solid grinding job bar backing or bussing tables or whatever, give him a break from his alpha parents (his dad can be a straight up prick much of the time) and even my sister, love her as I do, can be a cold frosty one herself. She’s far more compassionate and understands (at least more than her husband) that even the smartest most motivated kids can simply freeze up and crash

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
The recent graduates of UC schools did not feel comfortable touching hardware. The CS’s students were more comfortable with a soldering iron, DVM or oscilloscope! UC kids were more comfortable using analysis tools i.e., Mathlab etc.
UC here, My first real job, boss said he wouldn't even talk to CSU peeps. LOL, this guy was PhD Caltech.

Makule's point is pretty accurate though. I didnt know chit when I graduated, buddy that went to state made a wood splitter for his project. He made mint with that thing, never worked for anybody else.

Homey don't solder.
Hook that scope and dvm up to the puter, and connect with Matlab? Now we're talking!
Most of the guys I work with, all ages, all types of schools, want nothing to do with hardware. They are all about complicated frameworks to store data in a database and display in a dashboard. They laugh at my simple ideas, and I shake my head at their reliance on doubling down on other peoples complexity.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Yeah and unfortunately that’s exactly what he did. Barely left his dorm all fall and winter; didn’t go to class. Just sat there stewing in his guilt, confusion, depression, etc. as an uncle I want to step up somehow, and to an extent, I did by sharing with him my own struggles and the “challenege avoidance” that was my MO through stern. Maybe it at least helped him feel less alone. We are hopefully going to have him stay with us in Long Beach this summer, get him a solid grinding job bar backing or bussing tables or whatever, give him a break from his alpha parents (his dad can be a straight up prick much of the time) and even my sister, love her as I do, can be a cold frosty one herself. She’s far more compassionate and understands (at least more than her husband) that even the smartest most motivated kids can simply freeze up and crash
That's good you're there. I would try to emphasize the point that he will be ok and has a safety net if things fall apart but more importantly let him know just to do the best he can and he will get through it. I thought college was some big deal going in but in hindsight it wasn't too bad at all and I watched tons of mediocre people make it. The ones that didn't were the case like your nephew where they gave up before even trying cause they were so scared of failing.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah that’s a pretty succinct analysis. I was texting with my sister today and it sounds like everyone is dealing with it in their own way, nephew is still really eager to spend the summer up here, we’ll see if his father is on board. He’s equal parts angry at the kid and himself. And he does NOT do well with anger. He’s by no means abusive but he has a temper those kids fear. My sister isn't afraid of him. He’s probably afraid of her lol.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 UC kids are useless out of school on their own compared to the cal poly engineers.

doesnt mean the UC kids are bad, you just have to sniff out their work experience a little more - figure out if they can only do theory or actually run simple tests to validate complex ideas.

i think UC expects the kids to learn the practical side of working from internships and apprenticeships - which many do not. you can find yourself in a situation with a mech-e who specialized in robotics who cannot solder nor able to spec a simple DC power supply - they tend to over think it.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Damn, reading this thread makes me wonder how hard its gonna be for my kids to get into school (when I have them lol)

I went to a pretty average Canadian US university where I was more focused on surfing and partying. Still managed to get good work experience and got transferred through career work to other countries. I'm sure it would have been easier to achieve this if I went to a better school, but it didn't close any doors completely

Living in SF its interesting to see how people treat each other/assume things based off where you went to university haha

• Haha
Reactions: tacos and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Damn, reading this thread makes me wonder how hard its gonna be for my kids to get into school (when I have them lol)
I think if you follow the linear path to success you will run into a lot of traffic on the way. but, if you work the game a bit, you can come out ahead.

i never had a 4.0 in my life (proud straight B student) but still got into top UC’s that had average GPA above a 4.0 at the time. did not have to do the JC route, did not have to do very much community service, either.

sometines going to a worse high school is better for you - no punishment if the AP wasn’t offered and therefore you didn’t take it.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
In a letter of rec, teachers are asked if students have taken the most rigorous courses offered. If they're not offered, it's beyond the student's control.

I just found out that one of my son's friends has an older sister w/ a 4.6 GPA. She got accepted to a few UCs, but w/o any financial scholarships (no surprise). Her family told her that they can't afford for her to go, and she'll have to go to a JC for 2 years.

If you saw the house they just bought (they drive Acuras), you'd be surprised how they can't make it work. I think they're trying to keep her from moving out (over protective family, first fledgling, etc.).

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In a letter of rec, teachers are asked if students have taken the most rigorous courses offered. If they're not offered, it's beyond the student's control.

I just found out that one of my son's friends has an older sister w/ a 4.6 GPA. She got accepted to a few UCs, but w/o any financial scholarships (no surprise). Her family told her that they can't afford for her to go, and she'll have to go to a JC for 2 years.

If you saw the house they just bought (they drive Acuras), you'd be surprised how they can't make it work. I think they're trying to keep her from moving out (over protective family, first fledgling, etc.).
That's fucked up. Kid like that, you do whatever it takes to support and love 'em.

Reactions: SirKooksALot

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
So where we stand...it’s either University of Oregon or U of Arizona.

She was offered UC Merced being in the top 9% of her graduating class. Thanks, but no thanks.

Also offered which we didn’t know about, the ability to apply to any CSU University which is not “impacted“ because she did not get into the CSU she applied to (SLO.) SDSU was not an option, it is impacted, so Fullerton, Dominguez Hills, etc. were offered…also, thanks, but no thanks.

Another problem that popped up that no one mentioned or talked about regarding any type of scholarships, your tax returns. So BIG HEADS UP. If you trade stocks, crypto, what ever…that is heavily scrutinized (you have to provide your past tax returns when you apply). So when your kid is a jr/senior, Don’t Take Any Gains! Not sure if you have to provide your tax returns each year while your kid is on a scholarship.

Another bit of advice, Don’t talk up your college experience, frat/sorority life, etc, to your kids…unless your willing to pay.

I thought $100k was cool, double that.

I’m now a firm believer in CC, if CC‘s could develop a dorm system through eminent domain, I’d vote for that in a heatbeat. With CC’s you have to weigh in local housing costs, if you think housing is cheap around CC’s :roflmao:. God damm capitalism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof and sdsrfr

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
So where we stand...it’s either University of Oregon or U of Arizona.
Eugene > Phoenix any day of the week. She will enjoy so much less big city stress and so much more outdoor recreation, which is super important to any college student's mental health IMO.

Both schools are solid academically.

CC to UC still your best bet, but if she really wants to go and you can afford it, then go! GTFO southern California and reinvent yourself someplace completely new!

Reactions: bruhdakine and rice

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
dorm life. its tough if you miss out.

I vote cheapest dorms freshman year, planned drop out into live-at-home JC for 2nd year on, transfer into UC for the remainder.

degree is from the right place and freshman year was still a dorm life blur like the movies.

Reactions: ghostshaper

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Eugene > Phoenix any day of the week. She will enjoy so much less big city stress and so much more outdoor recreation, which is super important to any college student's mental health IMO.

Both schools are solid academically.

CC to UC still your best bet, but if she really wants to go and you can afford it, then go! GTFO southern California and reinvent yourself someplace completely new!
Eugene is expensive!!!!! It’s 50k a year and they are not giving out any discounts to out of state students, well at least to us. Really surprised by that. They went to visit the campus and took a tour a few weekends ago. Of course they loved the campus and the greenery. Travel to Eugene is not cheap. Few if any direct flights. They could have flown to Europe for what they paid flying to Eugene/San Diego. They were stoked on no sales tax and cheap water though. Smaller than they expected.

So many factors factor in the big picture.