Album Surfboards

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
The white AP "retro keel"? I tried them in Lightbender and felt like I was dragging kelp around compared to other fins. Made a fun boar less fun. One and done.
glad those worked for you.

I have no idea why they're calling it a retro keel. Maybe a slightly fuller upright? I wouldn't run them in the LB tho... Geminis were winners for me on that boar.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Excellent comparison and review. I will probably get the Twinsman based on this and take Sixty Grits advice on the fins. Thanks 6TGrit... the erBB is reliable.
Note that I had a twinsman round pin. YMMV!

Stocked for you! Pics ASAP!

Reactions: SD_Dan

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

I have no idea why they're calling it a retro keel. Maybe a slightly fuller upright? I wouldn't run them in the LB tho... Geminis were winners for me on that boar.
Yeah, every other fin I’ve run in LB has been good too. It’s hard to imagine it working in the TM swallowtail, but I apparently like smaller upright twins than many of you guys, so who knows. The album x shapers has been gold- works well for me in both LB and TMST. Edit: actually Townsend stap too.

regardless, deforest will need an FCS fin for that used Varial… so maybe NVS if all the TrueAmes options are sold out.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, every other fin I’ve run in LB has been good too. It’s hard to imagine it working in the TM swallowtail, but I apparently like smaller upright twins than many of you guys, so who knows. The album x shapers has been gold- works well for me in both LB and TMST. Edit: actually Townsend stap too.

regardless, deforest will need an FCS fin for that used Varial… so maybe NVS if all the TrueAmes options are sold out.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
What is the vote on Akila Aipa flat earth vs. Album twinsman?
I got a custom Akila wing twin before he went firewire and have had my twinsman for a good while. Put in a lot of time on both. You have to be super on your game and be riding the wing twin in good waves for it to work. No fin turns. You HAVE to be on rail or it'll slide out. I ended up selling b/c the twinsman is just so much easier to ride.

Quit fucking around.

Jan 28, 2011
NC
I'm 150lbs and just under 5'7".
I usually ride around 25L.
I’m about your size and the 5’4” goes great for me. I just picked up a 5’5” to see how that goes. The Twinsman surfs like a lower volume board due to the foiled and pulled in tail in my opinion. The 5’4” is perfect for board shorts weather but I feel like I could use a little more foam for 4/3 winter weight so I’m going to try the 5’5”.

Would love to have one in Varial so if you don’t scoop it up please share for us swoopers ;)

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’m about your size and the 5’4” goes great for me. I just picked up a 5’5” to see how that goes. The Twinsman surfs like a lower volume board due to the foiled and pulled in tail in my opinion. The 5’4” is perfect for board shorts weather but I feel like I could use a little more foam for 4/3 winter weight so I’m going to try the 5’5”.

Would love to have one in Varial so if you don’t scoop it up please share for us swoopers ;)
You ever weigh your wetsuit after you get out of the water?

Jan 28, 2011
NC
You ever weigh your wetsuit after you get out of the water?
I haven’t, but that’s a cool idea. I would guess about 10lbs with the hooded 4/3, boots and gloves but it would be interesting to know for sure.

For me, I think it’s a combo of the added weight and additional paddling resistance with all that gear on. I always tend to want more foam in the winter months. We also typically have strong side shore currents when we get a solid winter swell so it helps to be able to chase down the peaks.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I haven’t, but that’s a cool idea. I would guess about 10lbs with the hooded 4/3, boots and gloves but it would be interesting to know for sure.

For me, I think it’s a combo of the added weight and additional paddling resistance with all that gear on. I always tend to want more foam in the winter months. We also typically have strong side shore currents when we get a solid winter swell so it helps to be able to chase down the peaks.

Jan 28, 2011
NC
My body weight fluctuates up and down more in a 24 hour period than the weight of my wetsuit.

Should I buy a different board for afternoon sessions?
Like I said, the added resistance and currents have a lot to do with it. As I get older I tend to like more and more foam these days.

Volume made a bigger difference back when I rode thrusters but now that I mostly ride twins I find that volume doesn’t matter nearly as much. I can ride shorter boards with much more foam than I used to ride, catch more waves and have way more fun.

Also, if you are asking if you should buy another board the answer is always yes :)

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I would like to throw in the added weight of fins. Unless you have the Enforfins by Slater Designs - they float!

My Album Fascination fins by naked viking came it at about 0.7 lbs.

• Haha
Reactions: RobG814