Varial foam Article/Ride Reports?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
i ordered it through varial. it took 6+ months. longest I've ever waited for a board. the color is not what i expected but I like it. the board feels pretty good under arm. this is my first CI in ages.
Do the two horizontal lines on the deck and the one on the bottom look like they were rips in the cloth or scratches in the foam post shape? Board still looks sick...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
6 mo! Whoa.
Ultra Joe meant to upgrade your P-Jumper in crap waves?

what color did you ask for? Boysenberry?
it's meant to replace the Varial PJHP that came an inch wider than I ordered. compared to the PJ Slim and PJ HP this has a bit narrower tail so I doubt it will have quite the low end but it looks like something that can actually be surfed fairly "normally". It reminds me a little bit of the Hayden Loot tbh...

I ordered lavender color and got purple drank. I don't really care, as long as the dims are correct this time. It feels right under arm but I haven't measured yet.
@Aruka , board looks really good, including the color. How is the weight?
Weight feels good. I dunno if it's lighter than a standard PU. Feels similar to a 444. Maybe slightly heavier due to the tint? Despite the 646 Varial PJHP being too wide I surfed it enough to get a feel for the foam and the weight and it felt like a nice balance. Still dents like crazy though.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I have two varial boards in the exact same color. Definitely would not call it lavender but I do really like it. The color is definitely not perfectly solid like you'd expect from a normally wet lapped board. Doesn't bother me personally but I can see how someone might be meh on it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have two varial boards in the exact same color. Definitely would not call it lavender but I do really like it. The color is definitely not perfectly solid like you'd expect from a normally wet lapped board. Doesn't bother me personally but I can see how someone might be meh on it.
these are regular varial layups or infused glass- but not carbon fiber builds, right?

My next varial would probably be to try a CF build. I'm thinking a light blue or minty green. I know MrSteve/Yuri had a grey one. Anyone get full color (over the black) and have any suggestions for lighter colors that turned out well? Pics?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
these are regular varial layups or infused glass- but not carbon fiber builds, right?

My next varial would probably be to try a CF build. I'm thinking a light blue or minty green. I know MrSteve/Yuri had a grey one. Anyone get full color (over the black) and have any suggestions for lighter colors that turned out well? Pics?
I want another Vanerial Cabron and this time with a light color tint but on the bottom instead of the deck side. The color on the deck side doesn't make sense to me because if I lay the board down it's going bottoms up so the black side is facing the sun and the board cooks but if I go white or another light color on the bottom of the board then I can leave it in the sun for a moment without it getting super hot. Plus I still get to enjoy looking at the sexy carbon on the deck side while I'm paddling around the lineup instead of the blotchy, bleached denim looking tint that the carbon builds always have.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I want another Vanerial Cabron and this time with a light color tint but on the bottom instead of the deck side. The color on the deck side doesn't make sense to me because if I lay the board down it's going bottoms up so the black side is facing the sun and the board cooks but if I go white or another light color on the bottom of the board then I can leave it in the sun for a moment without it getting super hot. Plus I still get to enjoy looking at the sexy carbon on the deck side while I'm paddling around the lineup instead of the blotchy, bleached denim looking tint that the carbon builds always have.
don't try to tell us that bleached denim isn't popular in the PNW

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
you don't even know. my son was wearing a pair of bleached jorts yesterday that were 4 sizes too big for him. The style right now :foreheadslap:
it's the early 90's again. Arguably the worst period for style in my lifetime... especially for the girls.

Do your kids even sarf? Are the styles still coming from skate / streetwear?

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I drop my 15 year year old daughter off at Redondo High most mornings and it's pretty funny how cyclical styles are. The majority of the kids look like they dressed to take the dog out for a quick leak, but somehow the sloppy hoodie and pajama pants look is cool. The few punk kids dress almost identical to how I dressed in 1983. I agree with @oeste858 that baggy skate look of the 90's being one of the worst styles and I'm seeing a resurgence of that as well.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Same as all of the above. I see these kids and just want to shake them and tell them you can get comfortable clothes that fit! I still wear jeans and shitty band shirts but why are we going back to terrible fitting cuts??

Reactions: jkb and ChaseTMP