Hawaii- Done

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My neighbor knocked his home over and built a Honsador package home. I guess the house was so beat up that it wasn't worth saving. He told me that he wishes he could have remodeled the original single wall house because of the pain that went into putting up a whole new structure.

Other neighbor did a full gut and second story. He told me $500 per sqft to do it. This was pre covid.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My neighbor knocked his home over and built a Honsador package home. I guess the house was so beat up that it wasn't worth saving. He told me that he wishes he could have remodeled the original single wall house because of the pain that went into putting up a whole new structure.
Everybody I've ever known who's done a rebuild in Hawaii regrets it.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Everybody I've ever known who's done a rebuild in Hawaii regrets it.
Ya I could imagine.

problem was the house is on a small lot. The house is nice. Built in the 1980s. It’s in super good condition.

the problem is they only built it with 1 parking stall. Why they didn’t build it on stilts to park under and have storage is beyond me. It’s pier and post too. so not like isnt a feasible option.

someone suggested lifting it and that contractors can lift it and put it on concrete posts and a concrete pad under too park.

the 1 parking stall thing is awful and I have no idea wtf the builders were thinking

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Were the problems with the house itself or permitting/utils/other misc BS? I can't imagine $500/ft for a package home.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Were the problems with the house itself or permitting/utils/other misc BS? I can't imagine $500/ft for a package home.
The $500 sqft was for a second story.

The house that was knocked down was no longer structurally sound. The previous owner didn't do any maintenance and stayed in the house until he was put in a retirement home. New owner bought it and was told it wasn't worth saving. So he knocked it over and put up a kit home. Said the permit process was a nightmare and all the lot setbacks change once you remove the old structure.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The $500 sqft was for a second story.

The house that was knocked down was no longer structurally sound. The previous owner didn't do any maintenance and stayed in the house until he was put in a retirement home. New owner bought it and was told it wasn't worth saving. So he knocked it over and put up a kit home. Said the permit process was a nightmare and all the lot setbacks change once you remove the old structure.
Still doesn’t make sense on how it’s a 500sf for a kit home.

someone I know is building a custom addition to a small home that requires full custom work, using a full service contractor, and he’s paying 450 a sf- and that’s now this year when everything is supposedly through the roof.

if you’re neighbor paid for 500sf For a kit then lmk cause I got some bridges for sale and I’d like to see if you or said neighbor are interested.

BTW- Does this neighbor tell others walking down your guys street they aren’t welcome either,

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Still doesn’t make sense on how it’s a 500sf for a kit home.

someone I know is building a custom addition to a small home that requires full custom work, using a full service contractor, and he’s paying 450 a sf- and that’s now this year when everything is supposedly through the roof.

if you’re neighbor paid for 500sf For a kit then lmk cause I got some bridges for sale and I’d like to see if you or said neighbor are interested.

BTW- Does this neighbor tell others walking down your guys street they aren’t welcome either,
Do you lack a basic understanding of the English language?

It wasn't a kit home. It was a full gut remodel of the original house and a huge two story addition. One neighbor knocked the home over and did a kit home. Other one did a gut and remodel.

Other neighbor did a full gut and second story. He told me $500 per sqft to do it. This was pre covid.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haleiwa Challenger Contest: November 26th to December 7th
HIC Pipeline Pro: December 8th to December 20th
Vans Triple Crown (Digital): December 21st to January 21st
Billabong Pipeline Pro: January 29th to February 10th
Hurley Sunset Contest: February 11th to February 23rd

Three straight months. North Shore is abused.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
Haleiwa Challenger Contest: November 26th to December 7th
HIC Pipeline Pro: December 8th to December 20th
Vans Triple Crown (Digital): December 21st to January 21st
Billabong Pipeline Pro: January 29th to February 10th
Hurley Sunset Contest: February 11th to February 23rd

Three straight months. North Shore is abused.
Hard to believe that this is allowed. Of course, referring to another thread, us "old" guys had it pretty good contest wise on the North Shore. Very few contests, and the ones that did run were pretty low key set up wise and with regard to the number of days each contest ran. I was involved with the second Smirnoff Pro Am in Hawaii, held at Sunset and they contest ran and finished in one day That and there was really no accompanying "circus" and very few spectators. Was a great time and I sincerely appreciate the fact that I experienced it.