Over 50 and still surfing thread - Old Mans Point.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I’ll be 58 this summer. I got lucky in the gene pool and I love to stay in shape as well.
Lifting, cardio, stretching, chiro and massage all factor in to keeping my body working
at a level that allows me to pursue activities I love.
A balanced diet with an emphasis on moderation. I wish I could sleep more but my work
schedule and parental duties don’t line up for that.
Recovery from injuries definitely take longer once you’re in your 50’s. Don’t get hurt.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I’ll be 58 this summer. I got lucky in the gene pool and I love to stay in shape as well.
Lifting, cardio, stretching, chiro and massage all factor in to keeping my body working
at a level that allows me to pursue activities I love.
A balanced diet with an emphasis on moderation. I wish I could sleep more but my work
schedule and parental duties don’t line up for that.
Recovery from injuries definitely take longer once you’re in your 50’s. Don’t get hurt.
Can you still smithgrind in the bowl :shrug:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Getting fat is not just getting a big belly. Fat also attaches to organs like liver, heart, arteries, veins, etc. The fat will eventually catch up and surely bitch slap your longevity…. I’m 50-60 pounds lighter at 76 than I was in my 50s thanks to a few bitch slaps from my wife.
Tell me about it, Johnny! :dancing:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Any of you older folks foil? I find myself foiling much more.

I dont have the energy or desire to go paddle battle groms or alternatively just burn them and hear them whine like little bishes.

Foil allows you to surf tons of small waves previously unsurfable and the waves are far less hard on your body and you dont gotta fight a lineup.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Surf with people two decades younger - competitively in a humerus way.
Body allowing, don't refuse a session - mostly I find it works with ibuprofen.
No exercise & red wine helps - anecdotal experience from 50 to 60 - exercise creates pain.
Posting on forums reduces performance!!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Surf with people two decades younger - competitively in a humerus way.
Body allowing, don't refuse a session - mostly I find it works with ibuprofen.
No exercise & red wine helps - anecdotal experience from 50 to 60 - exercise creates pain.
Posting on forums reduces performance!!
You gotta stop taking that ibuprofen.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Have no idea how you guys (50 yrs) stay motivated to surf here.....cold, crowded and pretty shitty -
Crowds during covid really bummed me out. I basically only bodysurfed for a year due to the ridiculous amount of people out. Then it hit me.... It wasn't the crowds so much as my attitude and decline in physical conditioning that was bumming me out. Crowds still bum me out but I am back to being able to compete with the younger guys for set waves and that has helped a lot. Been a lot of fun surf the last two weeks.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
You gotta stop taking that ibuprofen.
You gotta stop posting on forums :)
And seriously ... testosterone? are you kidding?
I'm not sure I could surf without ibuprofen these days, although I did a year mostly without recently and hardly noticed a difference but now I have some nasty arthritis giving me some sh!t. I'm trying to age in a way that doesn't make me look too much like a Peter Pan wanabee.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Lotsa guys talking about no alcohol. I think that sh!t's a young man's game. Partying in your fifties+ just looks kinda sad and fomo-y.
Alcohol does do damage but go to any yacht club during the weekend and theres tons of people drinking all day and night with their boats.

The partying in your 50s still happens. Just different since more people got money to spend.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
And seriously ... testosterone? are you kidding?
Nope. Dead serious. Game changer. Remember when you were 30? It’s like that.

I'm not sure I could surf without ibuprofen these days, although I did a year mostly without recently and hardly noticed a difference but now I have some nasty arthritis giving me some sh!t. I'm trying to age in a way that doesn't make me look too much like a Peter Pan wanabee.
Ibuprofen when taken occasionally is fantastic. If you are taking daily you’re actually creating inflation and pain.

Go 6 weeks without it then after that only take it for acute injury. Trust me on this. Take it from a 51 year old daily grappler who also gets punched and kicked in the face and body two days a week.

Reactions: Black

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That actually helps a lot. Mostly on the mental side of things but it helps with strength too.
I prefer boxing and timing, cardio, strengthing I get since timing and surfing is so important. Between my sets I (1 minute): jumprope, speedbag, x5 table jump 2, double end bag, and heavy bag. I am careful with good 180" wraps and bag gloves to protect hands.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
PS:

That arthritis sh!t sucks. It’s getting fucky with me these days. I’m genetically prone to getting it. Every injury i get involving bone or cartilage “heals“ itself with an over reaction of arthritis.

Neck, shoulder, collar bone (left at shoulder and right at chest), both elbows, etc…..

Arthritis everywhere.

Nowadays I’ll just get random shooting pain in my hands/fingers. Yay!

• Sad
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I prefer boxing and timing, cardio, strengthing I get since timing and surfing is so important. Between my sets I (1 minute): jumprope, speedbag, x5 table jump 2, double end bag, and heavy bag. I am careful with good 180" wraps and bag gloves to protect hands.
This is good. I do some kickboxing a couple days a week, mostly because it’s fun.

If one were forced to choose between striking and grappling for the purpose of helping your surfing the striking arts would be a no brainer.

For the physical aspects of surfing boxing/kickboxing is better than grappling.

The grappling helps me on the mental side of things. I can stay relaxed in dicey situations. I think overall physically grappling is a negative to surfing if you only do that. Fucks up your spine and joints and makes you ball up and stiff.

That’s why the yoga and kickboxing is part of the routine. Balances out.

You can see a lot of boxing in the way Bobby surfs.

PS: that double end bag can be a mind fuck. You really have to be focused :socrazy:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This is good. I do some kickboxing a couple days a week, mostly because it’s fun.

If one were forced to choose between striking and grappling for the purpose of helping your surfing the striking arts would be a no brainer.

For the physical aspects of surfing boxing/kickboxing is better than grappling.

The grappling helps me on the mental side of things. I can stay relaxed in dicey situations. I think overall physically grappling is a negative to surfing if you only do that. Fucks up your spine and joints and makes you ball up and stiff.

That’s why the yoga and kickboxing is part of the routine. Balances out.

You can see a lot of boxing in the way Bobby surfs.

PS: that double end bag can be a mind fook. You really have to be focused :socrazy:
I am getting pretty good at double end after couple years and yes I add some yoga to my traditional stretching :cheers:

Reactions: santacruzin