The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone have the O’Neil hooded vest for wearing under a wetsuit? curious about sizing as I think the vest is nylon thus a different size chart than their neoprene vests.

needs has a cheap one but it’s pre-order only. open to other brands too, just want to spend $100 or under.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
2mm short sleeve suggestions, please.

- must be GBS
- some smoothskin appreciated

My 3yo O'Neill (which features the above) won't last forever.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Anyone have the O’Neil hooded vest for wearing under a wetsuit? curious about sizing as I think the vest is nylon thus a different size chart than their neoprene vests.

needs has a cheap one but it’s pre-order only. open to other brands too, just want to spend $100 or under.
I like the xcel one paired with my 4mill hyperfreak. Some peps don't like the rigid O'Neil visor. The xcel is just soft prene. Sized same as my suit.

Reactions: Aruka and sdsrfr

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I like the xcel one paired with my 4mill hyperfreak. Some peps don't like the rigid O'Neil visor. The xcel is just soft prene. Sized same as my suit.
I bought a large O’Neill, same as my wetsuit size at 6’x190 lbs but wish I had gone medium. If I wear it for a long session the excess material in my pits will give me a rash. I think sizing down would take care of that problem.

Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I bought a large O’Neill, same as my wetsuit size at 6’x190 lbs but wish I had gone medium. If I wear it for a long session the excess material in my pits will give me a rash. I think sizing down would take care of that problem.
Sounds like the nylon vest size chart. Thanks.

Reactions: MathDebater

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
new Buell 4/3 RB2.
It felt a little snug in the shoulders on the first surf or two, but felt better yesterday.

Size L
5'11"
200lbs
been intereste din buells and you're almost my dims. you got an oddly wide shoulder/wing span or size appropriate? how the arm and leg lengths go? 5'10....feel like i always need an xls...but they are rare in the suits that i typically wear

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Suits should fit good before use, too small/“stretching them through use/ surfs” stresses the seams and material, leading to the suit leaking and breaking down prematurely. A well made suit may withstand this a bit more than a cheap one - but it still happens.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
been intereste din buells and you're almost my dims. you got an oddly wide shoulder/wing span or size appropriate? how the arm and leg lengths go? 5'10....feel like i always need an xls...but they are rare in the suits that i typically wear
I'm no Dwight Howard, but i wouldn't say I'm light framed.

I have ordered XLS before and they've worked, but for some reason it sounded excessive. I've also been about 10-15 pounds heavier at times. I lost some weight in early 2020 and have been putting some back on, so I decided to go with the L blindly. There's a tiny bit of extra fold in the leg that I notice while getting it on, but I don't notice it in the water.

I think it's oing to be fine, but if you're under 5'11" and over 200, I would consider an XLS

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
One surf in the Volte premium 5/4. Construction seems solid. Obviously can’t gauge how long it will last, but it felt just as easy to paddle in as my hyperfreak. No too hard to get in and out of. Also, air temps were around 37 and I was fairly warm the whole time (about 2.5 hours).

A bit of flushing when i ate sh*t but that’s to be expected.

Really fun session too. Being warm and not fearing duck-dives helped.
Update. Despite me babying it, this suit turned into Flushing Meadows on the second session. I also noticed that the stitching was coming apart in many places. The shop from which I bought it was kind enough to let me return it. The manager said that he didn't like the suit either. However, he did rate the 4.5 mil zipperless entry very highly.

I don't want to excoriate Volte as a company, this is just my experience of the the suit, take it for what you will. Again, I will reiterate that the manager did say one of their suits was very good.

I ended up buying an oneill Psychotech 5.5/4. It has really tight sleeve and ankle entrances which I think is a good design feature. Surfed in it today and was very happy with it. Will probably stick with it for the winter and switch to hyperfreak once air temps warm up.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Update. Despite me babying it, this suit turned into Flushing Meadows on the second session. I also noticed that the stitching was coming apart in many places. The shop from which I bought it was kind enough to let me return it. The manager said that he didn't like the suit either. However, he did rate the 4.5 mil zipperless entry very highly.

I don't want to excoriate Volte as a company, this is just my experience of the the suit, take it for what you will. Again, I will reiterate that the manager did say one of their suits was very good.

I ended up buying an oneill Psychotech 5.5/4. It has really tight sleeve and ankle entrances which I think is a good design feature. Surfed in it today and was very happy with it. Will probably stick with it for the winter and switch to hyperfreak once air temps warm up.
Bummer.

That's awesome you were able to return it though.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
I walked into the local and couldn’t believe they wanted $600 for the top end brands and 99% were front zip and my shoulders don’t allow me to get into these types of suits. So it’s back zip only. Only back zip they had was 3/2 Vissla 7 seas for $230. The construction and design is put together nicely and it’s a really warm suit. If I get 3 seasons I’m gonna be stocKed.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I walked into the local and couldn’t believe they wanted $600 for the top end brands and 99% were front zip and my shoulders don’t allow me to get into these types of suits. So it’s back zip only. Only back zip they had was 3/2 Vissla 7 seas for $230. The construction and design is put together nicely and it’s a really warm suit. If I get 3 seasons I’m gonna be stocKed.
I had a chest zip 3/2 when they first came out. I liked it fine. Not to burst your bubble, but if you surf a lot, you will be lucky to get 1.5 - 2 seasons out of a 7Seas... which is fair value for a budget suit.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
I had a chest zip 3/2 when they first came out. I liked it fine. Not to burst your bubble, but if you surf a lot, you will be lucky to get 1.5 - 2 seasons out of a 7Seas... which is fair value for a budget suit.
Luckily I live in NE FL where it’s 6months or less in full suits for me and I have several other older suits in decent condition for the different zones up and down the coast to help stretch out the seasons.

Reactions: oeste858

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Got the new Dakine suit in the water today, 3/2 mission zippless LT. sized up from the O'Neill and Xcel MT that I was wearing previously. Felt a bit cheap and thin compared to the techno blubber and channel flex but still decent quality. Nice liner in the chest and legs, still plenty flexible. Might pick up a 4/3 in addition to this one, will have to wait and see how it does in the coming weeks

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I remember 5 mill Psychotech holding up better than 5 mill Hyperfreak. A warmer suit as well. New ones look really good, but I don't think they will drop until late summer.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Yeah I've had a 4 mill Mutant prior to techno blubber. Good suit. Not an option for primary thou. We will see how long my 2nd Hyperfreak lasts. Was plenty warm and water tight in 48 degree water and 38 degree air last week, but had just popped the tags. Just couldn't stomach dropping 500+ on Psycotech or other higher end suit and I knew it fit me well. I'm a commuter surfer in a pretty fickle zone. Surf around 70 to 80 sessions a year locally. Should do the trick for a year or so.

Reactions: bigglesworth

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'm 4 pages behind. Saw a purple Cyber suit and thought 'Barney!' then gave up.

What've I missed?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit