Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Anti vaxxers think vaccinating children against things that are proven to be awful and dangerous for them are a bad because they cause autism, something ridiculous that they heard from some lady on tv.
You lump those who choose not to get several new vaccinations that are known to make people sick while protecting them from something that will almost certainly not bother them in with the same group because you have no real solid belief in the choice you are making.
If you are unable to separate these groups, it is because you are kind of stupid. If you are unwilling to see them as distinct, it is because you know, but don't want to admit to yourself or others, that you are wrong.

Eventually, you'll have to come around and accept that for some people, getting vaccinated was important. For some, it wasn't. Importantly, it is also time dependant, if you miss the window you got shots for no reason. No one mentioning that.
Covid is more deadly than polio across all age groups. People engaged in the same hysteria with the polio vaccine for a while too. And the polio vaccine didn’t prevent people from getting polio, just made it less likely they’d get sick. Weird.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
It’s weird. My normally left leaning hippie vegan natural remedies, watch everything that goes into their bodies types of friends, who 3 years ago, would never think to willingly put something so brand new, untested and controversial into their system so quickly and easily got the jab.

Meanwhile, my right leaning friends who pop all the pharm meds for inflammations, headaches, depression and rush to the hospital for a splinter in the finger types are now so unwilling to get the jab because it’s so brand new, untested and controversial.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Covid is more deadly than polio across all age groups.
A lie is a lie, obi wan....it is not more deadly to an individual. You aren't 10,000 people, you are one person. More people have died with COVID across all age groups, that is not the same thing as COVID being more deadly than polio to a person of any age group. How many more people caught COVID and had nothing happen?

The window? Time dependent? You mean, like, you have to get the vaccine before you get Covid?
If you got the first shot, you had a few months to benefit from it. The second shot, same thing. Now each booster buys you about ten weeks. Each time is a gamble that the effects of the shot are less than the effects of getting the virus, over the time that you are protected. Right now, if you were to get a first round J&J shot, it would be essentially pointless on its own. In twelve weeks, even if you have five shots right now, you will be behind the virus. This is why we have never vaccinated against a coronavirus.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
A lie is a lie, obi wan....it is not more deadly to an individual. You aren't 10,000 people, you are one person. More people have died with COVID across all age groups, that is not the same thing as COVID being more deadly than polio to a person of any age group. How many more people caught COVID and had nothing happen?

If you got the first shot, you had a few months to benefit from it. The second shot, same thing. Now each booster buys you about ten weeks. Each time is a gamble that the effects of the shot are less than the effects of getting the virus, over the time that you are protected. Right now, if you were to get a first round J&J shot, it would be essentially pointless on its own. In twelve weeks, even if you have five shots right now, you will be behind the virus. This is why we have never vaccinated against a coronavirus.
You don’t understand polio.

your understanding of polio is poor. Most people with polio were asymptomatic too. Covid is more deadly than polio across all age groups.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It’s weird. My normally left leaning hippie vegan natural remedies, watch everything that goes into their bodies types of friends, who 3 years ago, would never think to willingly put something so brand new, untested and controversial into their system so quickly and easily got the jab.

Meanwhile, my right leaning friends who pop all the pharm meds for inflammations, headaches, depression and rush to the hospital for a splinter in the finger types are now so unwilling to get the jab because it’s so brand new, untested and controversial.
I've noticed this too, it is interesting how politics played on both sides in unexpected ways

Reactions: mundus

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

your understanding of polio is poor. Most people with polio were asymptomatic too. Covid is more deadly than polio across all age groups.
You're right, I don't know much about Polio. You must know then, that 70% of children being asymptomatic with polio is quite different from COVID. Both count as "most" but still... If comparisons to the flu aren't applicable because COVID is not the flu, comparisons to polio...

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You're right, I don't know much about Polio. You must know then, that 70% of children being asymptomatic with polio is quite different from COVID. Both count as "most" but still... If comparisons to the flu aren't applicable because COVID is not the flu, comparisons to polio...
at it’s worst, polio killed 3000 people in a year. And everyone got vaccinated. Polio requires 4 shots to be fully vaccinated.

In kids under 5, 1 in 200 with polio would suffer paralysis. Of that small number, 5-10% would die. So a .025% or so chance of a child with polio dying. And the entire nation took the vaccine.

Covid is worse than polio.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Covid is more deadly than polio across all age groups. People engaged in the same hysteria with the polio vaccine for a while too. And the polio vaccine didn’t prevent people from getting polio, just made it less likely they’d get sick. Weird.
Thank you. So many don't know this about the polio vaccine.

Reactions: menobrah

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Just say you don't want to get the shot.

How can anyone challenge that?

Now you are just a dumb guy trying to avoid cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: tacos

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

Cool story, except nothing about the COVID vaccine is brand new, untested and contraversial.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

This is not even close to being true. The COVID hospitalization rate for children is 1.4 per 100,000. The latest German study showed a COVID death rate of 7 per million for children. Of the children who survived polio, many did so on iron lungs. My grandmother worked in a polio ward.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I wish the covid would adapt and start killing children already.

This back and forth is so annoying.

I am so going to do a "I told you so!" GOTCHA!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This is not even close to being true. The COVID hospitalization rate for children is 1.4 per 100,000. The latest German study showed a COVID death rate of 7 per million for children. Of the children who survived polio, many did so on iron lungs. My grandmother worked in a polio ward.
My stats are case-rate based, you’re using crude rates. They’re not the same. At all.

Again, at its peak, polio killed 3000 Americans a year.

and your reference to iron lungs is akin to comparing to Covid patients on a ventilator. 75% of all polio cases were asymptomatic and only about 2% became paralytic. Of those about 5% of kids died. I did the math above.

Covid is worse than polio. What your granny told you doesn’t change this.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My stats are case-rate based, you’re using crude rates. They’re not the same. At all.
No, I get my stats from the CDC's website.

Again, at its peak, polio killed 3000 Americans a year.
And most of these were children. It's a childhood disease.
It's about 10x deadlier for children than COVID.
1641073587262.png

and your reference to iron lungs is akin to comparing to Covid patients on a ventilator. 75% of all polio cases were asymptomatic and only about 2% became paralytic. Of those about 5% of kids died. I did the math above.

Covid is worse than polio. What your granny told you doesn’t change this.
COVID is worse for older Americans than polio. It's false that it's worse than polio for all Americans.

Reactions: Kaido