The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I just got a Hooded 4/3 Hyperfreak by O'Neill from the wife as an early christmas present. The suit feels sick! Nice and stretchy... but a little thin in the hood and throughout. Anyone have one of these? Just wondering how warm it actually will be.

View attachment 120413
Have about 4-5 session on the 4/3 Hyperfreak (hooded). It feels really good so far. Very stretchy. Easy to get out of. The wrist and ankle cuffs are a little tight, but its a new suit so its expected. The hood is thin, (and i wish it was smoothy), but it does the job. My hair has stayed dry on all my session. I've actually been too hot on all sessions and had to take off the hood to let out some steam. It also dries very quickly (about an hour or 2 and its been cold and not that sunny). So far its a 10/10 but we will see how long it lasts until a seam leaks.

FWIW, my 4/3 Billabong furnace comp was warmer and about the same stretchy-ness. But the neoprene feels better on the Oneill.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Could be because you are wearing a hooded 4/3 in 60 degree water.
haha. Yes... but the air is in the 40's and its offshore about 5-10. It feels like I'm getting into a hot tub, when I hit the water. Its either a hood or red ears.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I've actually been too hot on all sessions and had to take off the hood to let out some steam.

FWIW, my 4/3 Billabong furnace comp was warmer and about the same stretchy-ness. But the neoprene feels better on the Oneill.
You must of had 3rd degree burns with Bong ;) Haven't had much of an issue with non smoothie hood and its cold here. I feel like you can hear a little better.

Reactions: ReForest

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Need a new 5/4 for the PNW. Very disappointed in the o’neill hyperfreak 5/4. Wore out in less than a year, leaky as the British secret service in the 50’s.

Anybody tried the volte Supreme 5/4? How are they durability-wise? Or any experience with volte in general?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Need a new 5/4 for the PNW. Very disappointed in the o’neill hyperfreak 5/4. Wore out in less than a year, leaky as the British secret service in the 50’s.
That sucks to hear. Only a few sessions into the same hyperfreak and so far it's by far the best suit I've owned. But that is admittedly a low bar.

How many sessions did you get in it over the year?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
That sucks to hear. Only a few sessions into the same hyperfreak and so far it's by far the best suit I've owned. But that is admittedly a low bar.

How many sessions did you get in it over the year?
Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news, i also loved it. So much so at first that I bought two so I could rotate in and out. I probably got somewhere north of 100 of the first one and now it’s useless. Second one is fine as long as I avoid turbulent duck dives.

Then again i rinse them about and hour and a half after each session; so didn’t care for then optimally.

Still, I feel like wetsuit longevity has declined over the years. I sometimes suspect this is on purpose. My longest-lasting suits were from the early 10’s. Seems quality has declined since then.

Reactions: PRCD

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news, i also loved it. So much so at first that I bought two so I could rotate in and out. I probably got somewhere north of 100 of the first one and now it’s useless. Second one is fine as long as I avoid turbulent duck dives.

Then again i rinse them about and hour and a half after each session; so didn’t care for then optimally.

Still, I feel like wetsuit longevity has declined over the years. I sometimes suspect this is on purpose. My longest-lasting suits were from the early 10’s. Seems quality has declined since then.
Thanks. Yeah, I do a lot of turbulent duckdives. 100 sessions isn't horrible. I guess a little over a year for me depending on time/wind (changed work schedule too so I get every other Friday off yew). Try to take pretty good care of my suits. Wash them out within an hour and hang folded so they dry but not too fast. Learned fast that a quick dry in a too-warm room can turn an LT into a B14.

You're probably not wrong about the planned obsolescence. Noticed my Quik Syncro 4/3 is leaking hard. Pretty chilly when it gets under 52.

Reactions: bigglesworth

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Anybody tried the volte Supreme 5/4? How are they durability-wise? Or any experience with volte in general?
If you remember West Wetsuits from a while ago, Volte is just West re-branded.

I never owned any of their suits but I used to work in a shop that rented both Xcels and West suits.

Xcels fell apart like a cheap suit and constantly needed seam repairs. The Wests help up really well to the abuse.

I'm not sure if their build and construction is as robust as it used to be, but back when they were West, it was pretty damn impressive.

Reactions: bigglesworth