Closing due to LABOR SHORTAGE?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can anybody esplain what's going on here?

Local favorite restaurant now closing due to labor shortage.

Seen this elsewhere as well.

Wher'd all the workers go?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
For someone who starts new gossip post on every fart you have, you seem sh!t dumb at google.

You're triggered.

I'm less interested what "experts" are saying from their offices (they seem to be wrong on a lot of this stuff) and more interested in what people who are actually involved in the labor market are saying i.e. guys like @stringcheese.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I know that in SF, there are several restaurants taking planned days or time periods off because they don't have the staff to run 7 days a week, or run 7 days a week for extended periods of time. If anyone calls out, misses a shift, has to care for kids that can't go to school/daycare because of illness, quarantine, or any other reason, the inevitable trickle down effect is that they can't deliver on their service goals.

These places would rather miss a few days of work than have a bunch of angry Yelp Karens bitching and tarnishing their reputation.

As this relates to historically stagnant wages, there are other industries coming to the realization that people don't feel like the compensation reflects the work demanded. Teachers, daycare workers, low wage health care adjacent positions, etc...

What's the larger answer? I don't know. There are certainly places that can afford to pay workers more than they do, but there are also plenty that can't.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Time to name spots!
Bubbalou's BBQ in Winter Park (Orlando) claims they closed for this reason.

Surf related because you might be able to make it Playalinda or Burna from Bubbalou's Winter Park location before you make it to Typhoon Lagoon.
(SW Greater Orlando vs NE Greater Orlando. I-4 and Tigers and Bears OH MY)

The Apopka location (NW Orlando) is apparently still open and I think there's some others. Surf-related because, between Orlando traffic and Tampa traffic, you could all-you-an-eat ribs and still feel light on your feet by the time you got to Anna Maria with 471293743964879231478231647823614780231654897312489031672478923647931641230789749823 people with Joog Squad stickers burning each other.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Not as busy now since the "kids" have gone back to school where I work. Large families traveling in June and July. Hour to hour and a half wait times. Folks waited. Some restaurants were only opened 4 to 5 days a week because of staff shortage. We're still doing 190 to 250 dinners a night though. 300 - 350 in June and July.

Will there be snacks

Miki Dora status
Mar 18, 2011
Hotel Coral Essex
Local BBQ place by me closing too. Family owned 30+ years. New BBQ place already planned for the location. So, I guess someone else will take a crack at it.

Not restaurants, but I have a few friends who own construction companies. All have said if you're not staying competitive with pay you're pretty much fugged.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I heard an anecdote about Crested Butte, Colorado recently discussing this issue. The looks insanely beautiful and real estate prices have gone through the roof. Real estate investors and part-time residents/vacationers dropping huge amounts of cash on anything that comes on the market. Only problem is the town is small, there's no affordable housing in any sense of the term, and it's isolated. The result is a an idyllic vacation town with plenty of visitors and nearly all of its businesses having to shutdown or limit hours in some way due to labor shortages. Picture a packed main street in an idyllic tourist town with ice cream and souvenir stores shutdown and help wanted signs in every window. Weird.

Anyway, a lot of circumstances conspired to make Crested Butte especially bad, but it's hard to imagine similar things won't be happening all over the place in the future.