So I bought a PU board...

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
haha
I have an off the shelf never ridden 7'4" Bully but I'm probably 30+ years older and 10-15 lbs heavier than you
I swapped a 6'6" Bully with Steamroller for a 6'2" Lala Gemini years ago.
got them down on them from peter at their shop down on the pier
chunky monkeys,
high performance joe blairs

View attachment 107052
View attachment 107053 View attachment 107054
View attachment 107055
Yeah Uncle, that quad looks good. I was looking at my brother in laws board and was thinking this thing looks so good for a big guy board. Usually big guy boards are just boats.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ron Maize made the original Bully programs for the then ghost shaper doing them
That ghost shaper faught peter a bit over them needing concaves after riding 3 of my personal boards - he complied needing the work ;-)
So they were supposed to be flat bottoms? Would make more sense as the stock Bully sizes are huge.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
And I'm the heaviest I've ever been, pregnancy sympathy weight, so feeling not great about myself lol.
THAT'S OK.
Yeah Uncle, that quad looks good. I was looking at my brother in laws board and was thinking this thing looks so good for a big guy board. Usually big guy boards are just boats.
Depends on where the foam is. I just bought a 6'2" PU and the guy put all the foam (widest point) below my waist when I lay on it. It doesn't work at all since I have a big upper body and long legs. When I go to pop up on all but the steepest waves, the nose goes underwater since it's so narrow relative to my upper body. It feels like it was built for someone who plays soccer, has short legs and a beer gut (not that there's anything wrong with that) I'm getting rid of it.

I just got my 6'2" El Tomo back. It's 2L less volume but the foam is towards my chest moar (the widest point more towards the nose). Much easier to pop-up with with less volume. The feeling off the bottom turn is also a ton better I guess because of my long legs and how the board trims when I compress.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
It is hard for me to let go of the feeling of PU. Varial comes pretty close and I like it because it seems to last longer. But, the feeling of a fresh PU is like nothing else. EPS is not my thing. XTR is ok but feels pretty stiff.

I always think I'm over ordering PU boards until I take out my PU boards and surf them. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and just pay even though I destroy them in a few months time.

Reactions: oeste858 and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Das a bummer racedawg. You are on a bad streak.

3rd time's a charm?

Maybe you should crowdsource your next boar order...

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
everyone has ups and downs

I've had many glassers here take a look at Akila's boards at the Surfstation to show them whats possible done by Otis's shop
The Akila I got apparently came from SurfStation and it’s one of the best glass jobs I’ve had.
And for how long my custom is taking, now that it’s “at the glassers”, it better be immaculate! LOL

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Das a bummer racedawg. You are on a bad streak.

3rd time's a charm?

Maybe you should crowdsource your next boar order...
It's just boards. You know how it is. I don't mind getting bad ones cause that means the next one is magic!

I've been riding my Sharp Eye disco cheater the past few days and forgot how good it is.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I got some suspension straps off ebay. I'm gonna get prison ripped out of surf suppression rage / love for my newborn.
Oh, you'll be in a prison! Maybe you'll be the first to get in better physical condition with a newborn. The lack of sleep makes it hard to motivate too. Good thing they're cute!

• Haha
Reactions: racer1