*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
At this point I'm taking no chances:
My double-jabbed mRNA vaxxed first cousin and his wife just contracted COVID.
Yup, I'm in a very different place than this time last year. wife has multiple vaxxed md colleagues who have caught Covid multiple times since then - I'm confident there is some protection in the vax, but not enough to relax against this variant, or the next one, or the one after that. I've been to urgent care twice already this summer for other stuff but that was more enough to remind me how much it sucks to be sick/hurt/down....now my kid is going on 9 days in the 6th circle of Covid hell, too weak to crawl from her bedroom to her kitchen. Fvck this sh!t, I am not giving this virus 10 minutes of my good health if I can possibly avoid it.

the vax rate in my area is about 53% and my local ICU is full. I'm back to masks in stores and tight places, and I just ordered N95's - IDGAF, whatever it takes.

this means war, m8 :cursing::jamon:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
like NYC? one of the highest vax rates, highest population densities, and lowest infection rates in the country. Long Beach, a VERY densely populated beach town full of crowded bars and beaches, has a positivity rate of .31%, lower than Nassau County (3%) and lower than NYS as a whole (3%as well) I don't disagree that vaccines aren't the end all be all, but in places with high vax rates, case counts and hospitalizations are extremely low

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The vaxxs are still in testing phase, be super careful out there folks. Especially those in super populated areas.
My experience with pharmaceuticals is that mfrs overpromise benefits and under-report drawbacks:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
like NYC? one of the highest vax rates, highest population densities, and lowest infection rates in the country. Long Beach, a VERY densely populated beach town full of crowded bars and beaches, has a positivity rate of .31%, lower than Nassau County (3%) and lower than NYS as a whole (3%as well) I don't disagree that vaccines aren't the end all be all, but in places with high vax rates, case counts and hospitalizations are extremely low
Looks like infections are up in NY. Do you have hospital census data for these counties?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
just what I read in an online article yesterday in a local Long Island paper. Nassau is up a little bit, but it was more interesting to me that a MUCH more densely populated place like Long Beach was so low, especially given this is a party town in the summer, with 73 bars in a 4 square mile area

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
just what I read in an online article yesterday in a local Long Island paper. Nassau is up a little bit, but it was more interesting to me that a MUCH more densely populated place like Long Beach was so low, especially given this is a party town in the summer, with 73 bars in a 4 square mile area
Delta is more infectious but about 1/28th as deadly. There are probably a lot of people - vaccinated and unvaccinated - spreading it without knowing it or ending up the hospital. Your odds of ending up in the hospital are lower with the vaccine.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Since we all do anecdotal all day. I have vaccine , friend doesn’t . He got COVID I was hanging out with him adn 2 other friends who are vaccinated . None of us ”sheep” who have been jabbed got sick.

my friend can’t taste or smell . Glad I got jabbed
one of my moms friends got covid almost an entire year ago and she hasn't been able to taste or smell anything since.

she was already a slender woman and it's been difficult for her to maintain a healthy body weight since she takes no pleasure in eating food now.

apparently most people regain smell/taste within a year but for some people it can be permanent.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
one of my moms friends got covid almost an entire year ago and she hasn't been able to taste or smell anything since.

she was already a slender woman and it's been difficult for her to maintain a healthy body weight since she takes no pleasure in eating food now.

apparently most people regain smell/taste within a year but for some people it can be permanent.
Bruce Patterson wrote a paper on the mechanism of COVID long haul and discussed it on Dr. Been's podcast. Worth looking into. Seems like the treatment would have very low side-effects and - at worst - do nothing.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Clowns running the show

Exhibit A:

Starting Sept. 1, all city employees will be required to be fully vaccinated if they work inside or be double-masked.

Exhibit B:

“COVID-19 could be eradicated if we had mass vaccinations across the country and across the world,” O’Farrell said before noting the United States’ history eradicating smallpox and mostly eradicating polio through vaccinations. <<<<HOW FUCKING DUMB IS THIS GUY?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Especially is the context of the idiotic toilet paper run and and the PPE supply problems in the early days. Trumptards going after Fauci is absurd after the constant BS he spewed about Covid including admittedly lying about the severity of Covid.
IMO comparing hoarding of toilet paper to N95s is a false equivalence. TP you can buy literally anywhere, but most N95s are supplied B2B by major work safety companies (Fastenal, Uline, Northern Safety, etc) that most people have no idea about. A simple phone call to the top brass at those companies asking them to NOT sell to consumers, who are probably less than a single digit percentage of their sales, and to prioritize hospitals would've probably been sufficient. Even Amazon was proactive with that.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Clowns running the show

Exhibit A:

Starting Sept. 1, all city employees will be required to be fully vaccinated if they work inside or be double-masked.

Exhibit B:

“COVID-19 could be eradicated if we had mass vaccinations across the country and across the world,” O’Farrell said before noting the United States’ history eradicating smallpox and mostly eradicating polio through vaccinations. <<<<HOW FUCKING DUMB IS THIS GUY?

Urbanites want this. They also elect these people. I stopped to get gas in LA County on Sunday and it was like being on another planet.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
New policy at my hospital:

No entry without proof of vaccination...

That's right folks!

You cannot enter without proof you had a vaccine allowing you to catch and transmit a virus!

Clowntown!
After my exposure I went to the walk up testing at a local hospital. Walk up to registration.

"Do you have an appointment?"

me- no I am a walkin, I was exposed to someone with covid

"what? oh you cant be here, this is appointment only"

me - the sign right there says "Walk ins"?

"you need to go to emergency room where we test people with symptoms!"

me - I have no symptoms. I am vaccinated andjsut trying to be responsible

She freaked out and made me leave. I think hospital staff are overworked and over it!!

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
After my exposure I went to the walk up testing at a local hospital. Walk up to registration.

"Do you have an appointment?"

me- no I am a walkin, I was exposed to someone with covid

"what? oh you cant be here, this is appointment only"

me - the sign right there says "Walk ins"?

"you need to go to emergency room where we test people with symptoms!"

me - I have no symptoms. I am vaccinated andjsut trying to be responsible

She freaked out and made me leave. I think hospital staff are overworked and over it!!
Seems like all these new, conflicting policies are just going to encourage more people to quit primary care. I'm hearing there's been a hemorrhage of those willing to work in primary care.

Our health care system is bad, but it can always get worse.