Hawaii- Done

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
I’m at Bowls every morning there’s waves. First light until 7am on work days. Don’t drink but sharing a surf is great. Weekends have been a sh*tshow. Mondays are good.
It was a pleasure and honor to meet you teeroi! And thank you for the conversation. Honestly, it had been at least 25 years since surfing bowls. Paddled out on a borrowed board at first light. Was able to get a handful of good waves, listen to/watch the regulars talk story, shark sightings, etc. It was like sitting at the bar on Cheers. Mahalos again for the aloha.

Was visiting parents, mourning/dealing with my sister's passing and helping my parents with house stuff/probate/etc. Saw bunch of childhood friends, celebrated friends birthday at Sherwoods, spearfished for invasive reef fish while cruising the sandbar, surfed several different spots as there were waves everywhere, bodysurfed half-point a few times, staycation at Turtle Bay. Took my daughter to Walls, Waimea rock, and to swim with galapagos sharks. Ate my favorite childhood foods, and stuff we can't get in Central OR. Smiles for miles.

Hawaii is as done as people want it to be. Traffic easily minimized by little planning. More crowded than hanabata days, sure. So? Still so much stock available with the right attitude and knowledge. Hawaii- not done :waving: .

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
There is no such thing as "American ancestry" - American is a nationality, not an ethnicity.

Being an American citizen is not contingent on ethnicity - like the UK, France, Australia, Brasil, etc.

Japanese is both. There are very few people whom are not ethnic Yamato Japanese who hold Japanese nationality.

And yes - many Japanese-Americans from Hawaii of the issei and nissei generations DID return to Japan at the outbreak of WWII - few were ever heard from again, as most died on islands in the Pacific.

They don't like to talk about the returnees in Hawaii, preferring to talk about the heroic 442 in Italy and the exceptional bravery shown by the Japanese-American soldiers in the US Army like future Senator Daniel Inouye - not the returnees.

Winners write history.

There is no such thing as any _____ ancestry. Just sayin'. It's all made up. Useful for some things, but still bullshlt.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
It was a pleasure and honor to meet you teeroi! And thank you for the conversation. Honestly, it had been at least 25 years since surfing bowls. Paddled out on a borrowed board at first light. Was able to get a handful of good waves, listen to/watch the regulars talk story, shark sightings, etc. It was like sitting at the bar on Cheers. Mahalos again for the aloha.

Was visiting parents, mourning/dealing with my sister's passing and helping my parents with house stuff/probate/etc. Saw bunch of childhood friends, celebrated friends birthday at Sherwoods, spearfished for invasive reef fish while cruising the sandbar, surfed several different spots as there were waves everywhere, bodysurfed half-point a few times, staycation at Turtle Bay. Took my daughter to Walls, Waimea rock, and to swim with galapagos sharks. Ate my favorite childhood foods, and stuff we can't get in Central OR. Smiles for miles.

Hawaii is as done as people want it to be. Traffic easily minimized by little planning. More crowded than hanabata days, sure. So? Still so much stock available with the right attitude and knowledge. Hawaii- not done :waving: .
Fock yeah this is the hows. Sounds like you had a rad trip braddah. Sorry to hear about your sister. That sucks. Hope your family is doing OK. Are you back in OR yet? Let's grab a beer soon. I'm going home for the first time in 2 years for the whole month of August. Out of my mind stocked to see how 'done' it is. I'm expecting a terrible visit.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Fock yeah this is the hows. Sounds like you had a rad trip braddah. Sorry to hear about your sister. That sucks. Hope your family is doing OK. Are you back in OR yet? Let's grab a beer soon. I'm going home for the first time in 2 years for the whole month of August. Out of my mind stocked to see how 'done' it is. I'm expecting a terrible visit.
And missed the heat wave :roflmao: All of August?? my prediction is AURITE! Hope you get some swells.

Reactions: bruhdakine

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
eventually every free patch of undeveloped land here will either look like this
thumb1_ocean-pointe-homes-ewa-beach.jpg

or like this

download.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018-09-01_at_12.19.29_PM.png

which is worse?
And don't think it won't happen to where you live.
There's too many people aside from those already here having kids who want to live here too
you can't stop it

Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
I still think the stretch from Diamond Head to Ala Moana is one of the coolest places in the world.
A heavily altered coastline with a multitude of artificial, uncoordinated and poorly conceived jetties, groins, dredging projects like the Kaisers channel and the Ala Wai entrance channel, gaping holes in the reef from coral mining (for Kawaihao Church and others) massive shopping centers and artificial failed property developments like Magic Island is one of the "coolest places in the world"?

Your world must be very limited - once the pandemic is over, you should try to get out a bit more.

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
A heavily altered coastline with a multitude of artificial, uncoordinated and poorly conceived jetties, grins, dredging projects like the Kaisers channel and the Ala Wai entrance channel, gaping holes in the reef from coral mining (for Kawaihao Church and others) massive shopping centers and artificial failed property developments like Magic Island is one of the "coolest places in the world"?

Your world must be very limited - once the pandemic is over, you should try to get out a bit more.
I've been all over the world. Multiple times thanks to Uncle Sam. Still think Waikiki is cool.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
A heavily altered coastline with a multitude of artificial, uncoordinated and poorly conceived jetties, groins, dredging projects like the Kaisers channel and the Ala Wai entrance channel, gaping holes in the reef from coral mining (for Kawaihao Church and others) massive shopping centers and artificial failed property developments like Magic Island is one of the "coolest places in the world"?

beat it, donkey

you come here with all your WSL buddies to take take take and then leave, nobody gives a sh!t what you think