Tomo MPH

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
ok tomo nerds:geek:- would, say, a stock 5'7 Revo in XTR be a good introduction for a 5'10 190 lb MPH-curious individual?
Yes. But see what the price difference is if you get one from Dan in Aus. It's worth it but more expensive.

Also, get it a 2 1/2 at 5'7.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Get the GMM2. Geezus.

FWIW, I have a twin keel fin V4 coming soon. : )

I hope that made everyone's stomachs turn a little bit.
Sheeet! You have a GMM2 and now a keel V4 o_O:bricks: :bowdown:

Did you order XTR or custom from Aus?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
:roflmao:

XTR custom.

I admit I've been a huge fan of Daniel's since he was making poly boards at Moonlight. First one I got was a hair too small, a twin keel with channels that resembled the V4. Then he and I spoke at length and he dialed in boards for me. I've strayed every now and then to other great shapers (like Duke Aipa whose boards are amazing & CI whose boards are also fantastic), but for the most part my short boards have been Tomos since about 10+ years ago. I just like the parallel rails. I ride them much shorter than other boards I've had in the past and now I'm just stupid spoiled.

Daniel knows the Santa Barbarea, so he's been a font of information and board work for me since the start.

-sh3

edit: FWIW, guns are almost exclusively Danny Hess. I've got a Bark 10' rhino chaser & a Dave Johnson 9' gun, but I've also got plenty from Danny. LOVE his work.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
:roflmao:

XTR custom.

I admit I've been a huge fan of Daniel's since he was making poly boards at Moonlight. First one I got was a hair too small, a twin keel with channels that resembled the V4. Then he and I spoke at length and he dialed in boards for me. I've strayed every now and then to other great shapers (like Duke Aipa whose boards are amazing & CI whose boards are also fantastic), but for the most part my short boards have been Tomos since about 10+ years ago. I just like the parallel rails. I ride them much shorter than other boards I've had in the past and now I'm just stupid spoiled.

Daniel knows the Santa Barbarea, so he's been a font of information and board work for me since the start.

-sh3

edit: FWIW, guns are almost exclusively Danny Hess. I've got a Bark 10' rhino chaser & a Dave Johnson 9' gun, but I've also got plenty from Danny. LOVE his work.
Dave Johnson another "805" underground shaper who knows how to make boards for the area and beyond. DJ would shape all my boards up to '90 until I left the country and even shaped me a custom semi gun for my pascuales trip in '89 that worked great:bowdown:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I'm thinking of joining the YOLO and getting a GMM2. I've wanted one for a while and all this talk about them and the YOLO just make me want one more. The YOLO is also making me order a MOTE...

@jkb You're the foremost GMM2 expert around here, so what kind of dims and construction would you recommend? My best Tomo was a 5'4 Vader, but that was 6 years ago. Since then, I've had a 5'4 Evo that felt too small, 5'6 SP2, 5'5 Vader and a 5'9 Hydroshort. All hovering around 30-31L. I'm 6'0 and 172lbs.

My favourite XTR construction is SL-CK, any reason not to go with that?

If anyone else has any info on a GMM2, please feel free to chime in!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm thinking of joining the YOLO and getting a GMM2. I've wanted one for a while and all this talk about them and the YOLO just make me want one more. The YOLO is also making me order a MOTE...

@jkb You're the foremost GMM2 expert around here, so what kind of dims and construction would you recommend? My best Tomo was a 5'4 Vader, but that was 6 years ago. Since then, I've had a 5'4 Evo that felt too small, 5'6 SP2, 5'5 Vader and a 5'9 Hydroshort. All hovering around 30-31L. I'm 6'0 and a 172lbs. My favourite XTR construction is SL-CK, any reason not to go with that?

If anyone else has any info on a GMM2, please feel free to chime in!
You can probably go similar dims to your SP2. Maybe 5’6-5’8 (I’m about 175-180 and I’ve had both lengths). Very parallel rails so you don’t need to go too wide. Efficient planing area and good amount of volume packed in the rectangular outline. SL-C or SL-CK would be my suggestion.

Reactions: jkb and Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
You can probably go similar dims to your SP2. Maybe 5’6-5’8 (I’m about 175-180 and I’ve had both lengths). Very parallel rails so you don’t need to go too wide. Efficient planing area and good amount of volume packed in the rectangular outline. SL-C or SL-CK would be my suggestion.
Thanks, dude. My SP2 is long gone, so I don't have the exact dims. What are yours on your 5'6? That sounds about the right size for what I'm looking for.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
5’6 x 20 x 2.5 (33L) with tomo evo channel. About 1 L over what should be my DD vol.
The old one was 5’8 x 19 x 2.5 (32.9L) so you can play around with the width to get what you want.

Reactions: Goodfish