Tomo MPH

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
I tried to get Dan to make me a GMM2 rocker with a hydro squash outline once. He said he couldn't because the GMM2 was RK's shape.

Since RK is loving the GMM2 so much right now, I wonder if I can convince him to commission Dan make a "next step" version of that board for bigger waves
:unsure:

Edit: I just slid into RK's DM's. :dancing:
he might be busy at the moment...

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Tried to suss out a GMM2 through Tomo Australia but they tried to push the El Tomo onto me, even wanted me to pay and then we could dial in the specifics after. I suppose they’re probably busy enough anyway.
Thats pretty standard in my experience. A lot of shapers and companys give you all the time you need once the deposit is in. All my custom orders with Tomo Aus have been that way. Once the money is in... they send me the order form and we start the process. Its exciting once it gets to that point. :)

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I tried to get Dan to make me a GMM2 rocker with a hydro squash outline once. He said he couldn't because the GMM2 was RK's shape.

Since RK is loving the GMM2 so much right now, I wonder if I can convince him to commission Dan make a "next step" version of that board for bigger waves

I tried asking Dan about a custom GMM2 in Tomo Tech too and it was a no-go. I like the idea of supporting RK/Hydrodynamica. RK invested a lot in Tomo.
Theres been lots of videos the last few months posted by RK on Insta (hydrodynamica) of him riding the GMM2 above. I've seen him out riding it a lot and he's absolutely ripping on it. Textbook smooth style. Dude is like 60!

@ReForest For a 5'0 GMM2, I would highly recommend stringerless. According to RK, the main reason for not getting SL is breakage, which shouldn't be an issue at your size and for such a short length. The flex is perfect for this design and in the softer waves you will likely wanna surf it in. Most of the GMMs & CyberSims I have seen RK and his crew on are SL- his latest one with the red CK insert was a blem that was sitting in the sale rack at XTR for months. I had a 5'6 SL that I wish I never sold (it was my 3rd GMM). The blue HD stripe SL was perfect for my weight, but I sold it too a buddy last year (he's almost 200lbs, and loves it). The Stringered one I got from Havoc is my favorite dims, so that's the one I kept... but I just wish it didn't have a stringer. Miss dat flex.

El tomo quad fish has a fairly flat rocker. Great for weak, soft, slopey reefs
You see! This was my thoughts too. I think I might risk it and go Stringerless. I doubt I would ride the GMM2 in anything over head unless it was a really mushy overhead type wave. Plus this is probably the perfect design to test out stringerless.

HOWEVER, the only thing holding me up on the order (besides the immediate cash) is the possibility of a keel fin V3 Nano or a keel fin V4. I have been loving my El Tomo keel so much that I dont know if i would trade a keel fin set up for a GMM2 thruster set up, in smaller mush waves. :unsure:

Right now my go-to for smaller mushy surf is the El Tomo keel and it feels pretty amazing. The GMM2 would probably fall in that exact same category, so my reasoning is that i'd have to choose 1 over the other and im not sure i'd want the GMM2 over the smooth glide and easy turning ability of a keel.
:bricks::foreheadslap:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I tried asking Dan about a custom GMM2 in Tomo Tech too and it was a no-go. I like the idea of supporting RK/Hydrodynamica. RK invested a lot in Tomo.
You see! This was my thoughts too. I think I might risk it and go Stringerless. I doubt I would ride the GMM2 in anything over head unless it was a really mushy overhead type wave. Plus this is probably the perfect design to test out stringerless.

HOWEVER, the only thing holding me up on the order (besides the immediate cash) is the possibility of a keel fin V3 Nano or a keel fin V4. I have been loving my El Tomo keel so much that I dont know if i would trade a keel fin set up for a GMM2 thruster set up, in smaller mush waves. :unsure:

Right now my go-to for smaller mushy surf is the El Tomo keel and it feels pretty amazing. The GMM2 would probably fall in that exact same category, so my reasoning is that i'd have to choose 1 over the other and im not sure i'd want the GMM2 over the smooth glide and easy turning ability of a keel.
I’m not saying you have to be on the level of some us as far as buying/ordering boards. But your fear of overlap is not appreciated around these parts, lol!!
Remember….#yololifeisthebestlife:)

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
smooth glide and easy turning ability
you just described the GMM2. LOL.
Don’t be put off by the outline, it does more than you’d think. It may take you a few waves to get used to the speed but give it a chance and you will have a blast. You’ll make sections you wouldn’t have on the El Tomo.
Let’s be honest, your all-Tomo quiver already has plenty of overlap for SoCal conditions. Don’t sweat it. Pull the trigger already!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
you just described the GMM2. LOL.
Don’t be put off by the outline, it does more than you’d think. It may take you a few waves to get used to the speed but give it a chance and you will have a blast. You’ll make sections you wouldn’t have on the El Tomo.
Let’s be honest, your all-Tomo quiver already has plenty of overlap for SoCal conditions. Don’t sweat it. Pull the trigger already!
Hey Deforest,

That guy in the pic is @oeste858 and that puppy is the GMM2.

1626134575628.png

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I would rather have a keel V3 Nano but make sure Dan lowers the rocker by a decent amount. My V3 has a lot but I ride it as a thruster. I would want to lower both nose and tail on a twin.
What are the dims on your V3 Nano? I forgot.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

FWIW....

RK got back to me on this and said he's cool with Dan using the GMM2 rocker for a one off.

Now I just have to convince Dan to make me one.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
FWIW....

RK got back to me on this and said he's cool with Dan using the GMM2 rocker for a one off.

Now I just have to convince Dan to make me one.
If you decide to get a custom from Dan in AUS, keep me in mind. I would definitely be interested in splitting the shipping costs and ordering one myself.

Reactions: jkb and JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
ok tomo nerds:geek:- would, say, a stock 5'7 Revo in XTR be a good introduction for a 5'10 190 lb MPH-curious individual?

Reactions: ReForest