Meditation - why? how?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
And I've had a couple of really bad trips. Last time I did mushrooms I was pretty fucked up for weeks. I sweated constantly, my heart rate was higher, super anxious all the time, trouble sleeping. No joke. Still cool with acid, but introducing something new that could have that same effect, well, I'm a bit nervous about, is all.

We'll see, maybe I'll try it. It's always appealed to me on some level.

I still need a mantra, and I'm not paying for one.

Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller?
damn for weeks? Yea something underlying goin on there...but im no doctor.

Ive lost my mind on all types of substances but luckily I was able to find it again relatively shortly.

you tried headspace?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
gotcha - sort of the same idea if you do to much acid and wind up like that old wives tale of the dude that never came out of his acid trip,. everyones got a friend of a friend its happened to. **not saying it cant happen. but highly unlikely.
The piece centers around a woman who went to a vipassana meditation retreat.

These are silent retreats. No talking except during one on one interaction with the instructor. 10 hrs mediation a day. You are cut off from contact with the outside world.

Meditation or no meditation it's not difficult to estimate that sort of situation could induce psychosis in some people.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

These are silent retreats. No talking except during one on one interaction with the instructor. 10 hrs mediation a day. You are cut off from contact with the outside world.

Mediation or no mediation it's not difficult to estimate that sort of situation could induce psychosis in some people.
for sure..sounds like alot.

anyone hear about these ketamine clinics popping up in LA and elsewhere? Supposedly really good at treating depression and anxiety. looked pricey but seems like it could be fun. 2 weeks of k-holes! if that doesnt cause psychosis i dont know what will.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Obviously a website favorable to TM, but directly addresses some of the claims from Lazarus and the other guy cited in the Harper's article:

New research using fMRI to view the brains of TM practitioners:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

anyone hear about these ketamine clinics popping up in LA and elsewhere? Supposedly really good at treating depression and anxiety. looked pricey but seems like it could be fun. 2 weeks of k-holes! if that doesnt cause psychosis i dont know what will.
Interesting.

I've run a lot of ketamine infusions on people with pain issues.

These infusions are titratable by me in relation to the amount of pain they are experiencing.

I've been in the presence or more than a few when they seemingly end up at the edge.

It's usually not very pretty and very anxiety inducing for them.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Interesting.

I've run a lot of ketamine infusions on people with pain issues.

These infusions are titratable by me in relation to the amount of pain they are experiencing.

I've been in the presence or more than a few when they seemingly end up at the edge.

It's usually not very pretty and very anxiety inducing for them.
yea i doubt theyre dosing people w/ enough to wind up in a hole. "microdosing" probably. I dont particularly like the drug, wasnt really fun - but ive also never gotten stuck in a k-hole nor do I have chronic depression or anxiety. i can see how itd be a good pain reliver tho. Basically made me feel really drunk and like I was walking next to myself.

I once knew a girl who take bumps of it all day with the frequency of a heavy ciggie smoker. she wasnt that fun.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
been consistently on it via headspace for almost exactly a year. 20 minutes a day. Have gone through all the courses at this point and am wrapping up "pro level 8", the final class basically this week just as my free year expires. Love it, and its become a great part of my morning that i look foward to.

Id love to keep this up..can anyone recommend free meditation apps or youtube vids? The last few months have just been sitting in silence as thats what the "pro level" is and while yes - i can do that myself - i like having the timer and prompts, and then the occasional words of encouragemnt.

thanks in advance.
If you really like a challenge try sitting quietly on a Symbian. I've seen videos of other women doing it and from their reaction it may be just the challenge you are looking for.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Meditation or no meditation it's not difficult to estimate that sort of situation could induce psychosis in some people.
If you look at meditation as a form of mental training a 7 or 30 day retreat of 10 to 16 hrs a day of meditation is going to be just as challenging if not more as a physical exercise retreat. Body parts are going to break in people who are not prepared physically. The same can be said for the mind concerning meditation.

Reactions: Boneroni

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

my GF is a psychiatrist who prescribes and treats patients with ketamine. She also works at a ketamine clinic, sometimes. I've been with her when she dosed herself, she was out of it for a couple of hours. She says it relieves stress, and for some patients, it helps work through emotional issues. I have done and continue to do a lot of meditation, ketamine is nothing like meditation.

the gf is not working with the K clinic in the future. She doesn't like how it is run and compares it to just dishing out drugs to anyone who can afford it($300+) per session. I have heard all the clinicians at the clinic use it. :toilet:

Last edited:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
For a while I went to a group meditation session once a week. I usually got very relaxed and fell asleep

I heard Sam Harris on a podcast saying something like the best life is achieved through meditation
I don’t know what the fvvk that even means

But I’m guessing we’ve got some meditators here, maybe even some experts, so, tell me
What are the benefits of meditation, beyond managing stress, and what are some of the best ways to get into it?
When you meditate for a while you come to a realization that you don't need to be constantly talking to yourself. It is ok to just be, without anything else. Then everything seems ok. I don't meditate in a formal manner, I just stop talking to myself for a while, like when I jog each morning. Sitting on a surfboard watching the horizon for a set is very much like meditating. You don't need to say a magic mantra, just be satisfied with your current situation "Be Here Now." Reggae music and cannabis puts me in a meditative state of satisfaction quick and easy.

I belonged to a spiritual club called "Ananda Marga" (Sanskrit for "path of bliss). It was founded by Anandamurti, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prabhat_Ranjan_Sarkarbased
It is based on: meditation, spiritual philosophy, vegetarianism, neohumanism, and asanas (yoga stretching).

"In 1982, Sarkar extended his writings on the subject of human society with the introduction of his new theory of Neohumanism. If humanism tends to contemplate only humans in a human-centric view, Neohumanism is the elevation of humanism to universalism. Sarkar said "When the underlying spirit of humanism is extended to everything, animate and inanimate, in this universe – I have designated this as "Neohumanism". This Neohumanism will elevate humanism to universalism, the cult of LOVE FOR ALL CREATED BEINGS of this universe."[22] Neohumanism is said to prefer existential value over utility value for all living beings."

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
^that or it can be like when you pull into a big open barrel and experience the energy in the water spiraling all around you. No thoughts arise as the wave opens wide and then squeezes to be spat out. That’s all. Any thinking will never make that experience better but certainly can ruin it.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I don't meditate in a formal manner, I just stop talking to myself for a while, like when I jog each morning. Sitting on a surfboard watching the horizon for a set is very much like meditating. You don't need to say a magic mantra, just be satisfied with you situation. Reggae music and cannabis puts me in a meditative state of satisfaction quick and easy.
While I agree for the most part, I will say that a consistent focused practice with little chance for distraction is different than meditating while running, walking, or waiting for waves. You always have to be paying a little bit of attention to your surroundings while running or waiting for waves, and that makes it different.

Not to talk those activities down. I do them all. It's just different

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I run long distances.

Sometimes I sit in the ocean and stare towards the horizon waiting for sets. A good set is like enlightnement. Clears your mind and makes you happy.:waving: But like all good things, the happy feelings will pass.