rats

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
do those goats need much water?

I like the look of them.
Not too sure.

Can say this though, the Majorero Goat has been shipped all over the world, and thrived in all but 2 climates... The frozen polar/highland ones only crazy people undergo. Tundra and Polar, I think?

They absolutely thrive anywhere else.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
native to the Canaries?

Majorero (pronounced Ma-ho-rero) is the name given to the aboriginal inhabitants of Fuerteventura.

They's from here.

Dairy goats, super sturdy.

Got a herd of 300 across the street, and around 3000-5000 here in town.

20210617_100441.jpg

Check out the black n white one up front, all smiling for the camera! :roflmao: They love me, I feed them my "trim". :monkey::shaka::cheers:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
This is what they do here, only local story is if you want them to keep feral, best no feed and never pet.

Locals laugh at our fat domestic cats. "2 cats in the yard, life used to be so hard...". Wifey is a CSNY fan. :rolleyes:

But we have another couple, or three possibly, in the backyard grow area. They are like the locals, or maybe even are theirs. Anyway, me no feed, no pet. They regularly leave me field mice sans livers. My cats split fast at the mere sight, or sound, of any one of them. My cats make our dogs run in fear, cause though fat, they are still cats and can blind you in a bounce. They don't catch anything though, who would if you know when feeding time is, and it's regular?

We do have one dog though, a rabbit hunting breed. Podenco Canario. He's huge.

View attachment 111260 He's the one who keeps the rest of the yard critterless. He especially likes the lizards.. only he licks them to death. :roflmao:

Best of luck with the "worst housesitter ever" award afoaf. And remind me NOT to leave you with our keys. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:
A girl I went to school with inherited a house in Madeira. Looks like she bounces back and forth from there to NYC. She adopts stray dogs/cats she finds there. One of them was a Podengo (sic?). I'd never seen one. Seems like there is a bit of range in the breed. Hers is tall, gangly, and kind of houndish.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
had a female rat sneak into our garage. tried to catch her w/ every trap possible. she didn't touch the snap traps or the electrocution motel. she chewed the corner of our garage where the door meets the wall. lined the inside and outside of that area w/ glue and snap traps. she would push the glue traps out of the way.

then she had babies in our garage. I started catching them in snap traps when they were about a month old. caught 6 and was hoping it wasn't a big litter. never caught the mom. too goddamn smart!
This is when you need to step back before you trap and walk around home and ID any hole 1/4" or bigger and take heavy 10 guage screen and cover and use self tap screws to secure and if unable to screw use combo screen and expandable foam. Also cut any trees, shrubs, vines, etc away from home. Now set traps and rat(s) well not be able to escape most go in and out and use home as safe place to escape.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Get a cat. Feed them outside. Feed them once a day. They'll solve anybody's rat problem in a one acre radius. My grandfather had a medium size, like ten acre, avocado orchard in Somis and he kept few cats. They'd come to the shed to get fed at night, he would pet them maybe once or twice, and no one else could get near them. They were killing machines.
Our cat was a total savage who would kill every gopher in our neighborhood and scalp them and leave the bodies on our driveway as gifts. He never ate them. Just killed them. We nicknamed the driveway 'the killing fields' due to the blood stains from his gifts to us and I always joked that he'd definitely kill us too if he was bigger. I always think of him whenever anyone has a rodent problem.

Reactions: Mr Doof

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Whatever you decide, if you're anywhere near nature, don't use poison. The rats eat, then predators eat them and either suffer or die. Sucks to see dead owls and/or mangy bobcats and mountain lions suffering on their way to a long painful death.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
A girl I went to school with inherited a house in Madeira. Looks like she bounces back and forth from there to NYC. She adopts stray dogs/cats she finds there. One of them was a Podengo (sic?). I'd never seen one. Seems like there is a bit of range in the breed. Hers is tall, gangly, and kind of houndish.
Crossed breed sounds like to me.

Check under the appearance link... Mine's a chocolate.

Vet told us he would have been show quality, and probably won some trophies competing, had it not been for the pitbull ripping his ear off as soon as he got to our house.

They're very much like a greyhound, or a doberman, in looks... But never saggy ears... They're naturally cropped looking.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Whatever you decide, if you're anywhere near nature, don't use poison. The rats eat, then predators eat them and either suffer or die. Sucks to see dead owls and/or mangy bobcats and mountain lions suffering on their way to a long painful death.
The amount of bait that the average homeowner would use there would be very little danger to wildlife. The stuff you can buy in the store is just strong enough to kill a rat with one meal. A bobcat would have to eat a dozen or more poisoned rats before it got into trouble, with a cougar it would take buckets fulls. Farmers and government rat eradication programs use tons of poison some of it stronger than the stuff we can buy, that's where the real danger is. The homeowner should take steps to minimize the risks.
1) Ratproof your home. You should try but know that you'll probably fail. In the op's post he thinks the rats are coming up the toilet. You could put a screen on the vent but if they're coming up pipe all you can do is lock the lid down.
2) Ratproof your food. Slightly easier than rat-proofing your whole house but you'll probably still fail.
3) Trap. Unless you were invaded by just one or two rats you won't catch them all. If you harass them enough they'll move out.
4)Poison. Hopefully, by this point there are not many rats left. Use the bait boxes don't broadcast the bait. Dispose of any dead rats you find. If the first 3 steps were successful and the rats are gone you have nothing to worry about because nothing will eat the bait. If some rats are left and you don't put out bait you'll just have to learn to live with the rats.

Jan 12, 2002
Austin, TX
I used to run a wine shop out of an 1890's Victorian house. Mad rats appeared after we renovated the space. We chicken wired every gap, and hole. They still found their way in. Started to smell like rat **** in the upstairs. Called in a pro who went under the house and found an old sh!t pipe drained directly to the sewer that had been sawzalled and left open. He blasted some caustic rat abatement goo down it and capped it. All of the ones that remained in the building were effectively locked in. We set traps along all of their obvious paths, and caught like 7 huge buggers in the first few weeks. They got so desperate that they starting eating the dead ones in the traps before we could find them. Last few were so hungry that they would appear in broad daylight looking for food. We finally killed them all off, but the upstairs shitty carpet still smelled like rat ****. I feel bad for the restaurant group that eventually bought the place, but not really, because they were dicks.

Also, poison is great until they die in the walls.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Catch them alive in water with a few of those traps that fit over the 5 gallon contractor buckets. Stick the bucket in a plastic bag. Affix the open end of the bag up to a exhaust pipe of a combustion engine. give it 5 minutes and dispose of rats appropriately.

as others have pointed out, prevention is the best.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
The amount of bait that the average homeowner would use there would be very little danger to wildlife. The stuff you can buy in the store is just strong enough to kill a rat with one meal. A bobcat would have to eat a dozen or more poisoned rats before it got into trouble, with a cougar it would take buckets fulls. Farmers and government rat eradication programs use tons of poison some of it stronger than the stuff we can buy, that's where the real danger is. The homeowner should take steps to minimize the risks.
All that may be true, but a single trap at my place (the kind an exterminator would leave), next to my chicken coup for example, could easily poison dozens, if not hundreds of rats/mice in week. And the predators eat them at a high pace. Combine that with multiple properties in the area doing the same thing day after day, often as a first real effective line of defense, and you wind up with a significant threat to wildlife.

You're right that the poison doesn't typically kill the larger predators directly, but sustained exposure destroys their immune systems and they die from all kinds of nasty prolonged diseases like mange.

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
All that may be true, but a single trap at my place (the kind an exterminator would leave), next to my chicken coup for example, could easily poison dozens, if not hundreds of rats/mice in week. And the predators eat them at a high pace. Combine that with multiple properties in the area doing the same thing day after day, often as a first real effective line of defense, and you wind up with a significant threat to wildlife.

You're right that the poison doesn't typically kill the larger predators directly, but sustained exposure destroys their immune systems and they die from all kinds of nasty prolonged diseases like mange.

I don't buy all that first generation marketing from the poison companies. Animals can't assimilate 100% of their food, so they don't assimilate 100% of the cyanide or whichever poison they ingest. Some of the undigested poison can still remain in their digestive tract and pass on to the predator/scavenger/pet.

Cyanide has a really low LD50, anyway.

Reactions: sizzld1
Jan 4, 2021
Most likely, you have rats in the house. The most important thing is not to panic. I also had rats in the house, and I understand you perfectly. I recommend you first put some rat traps in the house. To be honest, they are not very effective, lol, but at least about 2 rats to catch through them, and it will be good. Then you must turn to a pest control company as soon as possible. For example, I live in Sydney and asked for help from enviropcs.com.au. They have different techniques and special solutions that help you eliminate any unwanted pests in your home. It works. Since then, I have had no pests in my house. And that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: potato-nator

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Before the pandemic, we had a large trumpet vine that grew across our back fence. It quickly became a rat super highway once they discovered how convenient our shed was for a cozy home. We laid out traps of all types and were fairly successful but still couldn't keep up with the little buggers. Eventually, we had the gardener tear the entire fence line down and shortly thereafter an emaciated little Tortie showed up in our driveway. We fed her outside once a day for a month and she decided to stick around. At the same time we noticed that our rat problem has abated. A year and half later and the cat is ours. She's an outdoor cat that comes inside to eat and sleep but otherwise she does as she pleases. The best part is that there's no litter box or rats. :jamon: