Diamond tails

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Greg how much to shape me a board with a diamond tail and Futures fin boxes?
Extra ;-)
You forgot about concave (i think thats his other thing right?)
I'm fine with concaves - continue
I just have my version of a surfboard , my freind Doug noticed the difference on his first day after riding them for the last 10 years

Diamond Tails are great Too - "Shortens the Rail Line" !

Reactions: Aruka

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Sorry you cant get this

I am responding to "Many shapers make "

Yeah

Many are following a trend today of "feature" that made the board harder to ride a long time ago .
Suggestion - just fvckin speak plainly and you’ll get a lot less of A hard time time from people.

example: either name the flippin “design feature“ or just keep scrolling…

I’d bet a fist full of custom leash strings that you won’t though. You must enjoy the banter and stirring the pot… carry on

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Sorry for starting so many threads lately. I do that when I'm about to make a new board.

The explanation I heard that stuck in my mind is that the diamond shortens the rail line and makes the board feel shorter when on rail.

Any first hand experiences?
No first hand experiences. However Aruka's explanation of a diamond being similar to a rounded pin makes sense to me - if it is a reasonably deep diamond. But I don't think it would turn like a shorter board unless a compensating fin position adjustment was made. Either move whole cluster up a little or just move the rear thruster fin up, or a little bit of both. Not much adjustment or the board will be too loose.

My last 2 annual builds have been an elliptical tail - rounded pin without the actual pin. Last year's I overdid the compensation - was a bit too loose. Had all sorts of other things wrong with it too.

This years is perfect, whole cluster moved up just a tad, rear fin pushed a tiny bit closer to front. Position achieved by sliding Griffin twin tab in FCS II boxes in last years build with a bit of a guess on this years box positions. Losing last year's bump wing and reducing concave between fins to just a few millimetres also helped.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I totally get that; n why I suggested to just scroll past if youre not interested in full/long explanation. & theres definitely times I should be taking my own advice
Standard here is I make a statement then its challenged

Diamond tails were replaced with better in the evolution of design

Accept it , its history

My suggestion to the OP is focus on something else .

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
We are from different eras

The better Twin fin has existed for a Very long time

Marketing and media has held customers back from enjoying that till recently

My era was always looking for the better - more fun board to ride , all shapes , sizes and fin set ups