Graham Smith candid WSL comments and will they be around next year??

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How's that working for them?
Precisely.

Nobody cares if Steve Aoki surfs Kelly's pool.

A stripped down tour without a wall of positive noise in pumping waves is all anyone wants to see. The wall of positive noise is one of the main things that makes the WSL so cringey. Dumping that, along with worrying about maintaining that WoPN image, might actually bring some personality back to the surfers and combined with good surf would undoubtedly make things much more interesting.

For every nonsurfing fangranny from Kansas City, Missouri that would be lost you could probably gain two fans who surf.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Exactly

Trim the size.

Hold surf contests at good waves.

PPV or subscription style thing.
How do you envision the qualifying for this tour working? Basically attrition of C grade pros back into the labor force when homeschool ends? You are putting more people onto the QS by shrinking the CT, which means longer WQS windows and more shitty surf weeding out good wave surfers in the qualifiers.

The last WSL clip I saw was firing J Bay, and Toledo Huntington hopped for like 2/3 of it to force airs. Run it at fkn Smyrna.

Okay after seeing Aruka's post above, qualifier is top 1000 surfers paddle Ponce side to Smyrna side during the mullet run with fish oil rubbed on them. The 100 survivors qualify for the championship event out in CA.

• Love
Reactions: Rlacey111 and Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
How do you envision the qualifying for this tour working? Basically attrition of C grade pros back into the labor force when homeschool ends?
Most kids on both coasts need to be fitted for hard hats by the 8th grade, so yes.

You are putting more people onto the QS by shrinking the CT, which means longer WQS windows and more shitty surf weeding out good wave surfers in the qualifiers.
No, the QS would shrink too. Cut it back to, say, 30 or fewer.
The last WSL clip I saw was firing J Bay, and Toledo Huntington hopped for like 2/3 of it to force airs. Run it at fkn Smyrna.
Please poast this.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
thats always been the problem and why the QS is unwatchable.
I find the QS enjoyable. 4 man heats. everybody hungry as fck. lots of guys I've never seen before who rip.
I saw a heat with some rando Brazilian named Kyle Kirmson or something and it was some of the best surfing I'd ever seen.
Never heard of the guy before or after LOL.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
i dunno, seems like every midwest overweight dad on family vacation in santa monica with his family still rocks hurley tees

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I find the QS enjoyable. 4 man heats. everybody hungry as fck. lots of guys I've never seen before who rip.
I saw a heat with some rando Brazilian named Kyle Kirmson or something and it was some of the best surfing I'd ever seen.
Never heard of the guy before or after LOL.
You're the only person I've ever heard say that, online or in real life.

most of my pals barely tune in for CT surfing.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I realize this is your thing and it's probably different on the East coast. Out here, a lot of these NSSA surfers have had zero parental discipline and think they're the next big thing and act like it in the water. This pipeline needs to be killed.
Plenty of that on East coast, at least in Florida. Different in cold places.

Reactions: PRCD

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You're the only person I've ever heard say that, online or in real life.

most of my pals barely tune in for CT surfing.
I kinda agree with Racer, 4-man heats are way more interesting than 2-man. It introduces a random element of hassling, strategy and luck so that the same 4 best guys wouldn't win every contest, like currently.
Besides, the way things are going, if you cut numbers down to top 16... you're gonna end up with Kanoa, JJF... and 14 brazzos!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
4 man heats are great.

My personal contest format I'd like to see .

2 day comp.

20 or 24 man field .

1st day. Eddie Style 4 or 6 man long heats with a leaderboard.

That way each individual surfs both against the break and the whole field.

A cut down to a Top 16, then man on man for the Final Day.

Reactions: mundus and oeste858

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I'm LMAO at the armchair business experts in this thread certain that wokeness or some other such BS is what's holding pro surfing back from being a gold mine.

For years the ASP/WSL was propped up by surf brands. How many of you spend money on surf brand sh!t aside from wetsuits/trunks? Yeah, kids don't either. Fkn guys with stickers on their boards don't even want to be seen in that sh!t.

So the surf brands are hurting and can't foot the bill anymore. What's next? WSL goes after money from big $$$ corpos. How many people care about pro surfing in the world? Compared to even the NHL it's a microscopic sliver of the population. Not worth the headache/sponsorship cost to reach that group. Besides, those brands can reach the surf kids/women (demos who actually spend money on sh!t) way cheaper partnering with "lifestyle" pros on Instagram.

Only recourse is to become a media brand, focusing on producing that Instagram-style content you guys all hate. And that's how we got where we are today.
The truth right there. Surfing is a marginal hobby done by mostly broke guys -> no money to get. Bobby might be hating on golf and tennis, but those are hobbies for rich people that enjoy spending money.

WSL can't have expensive contests around the world when the only people who watch them spend all their money on food, shitty cars and a new surfboard every 3 years.

Reactions: bird.LA