Is Kanoa Igarishi the most uninspiring surfer in WSL history?

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The boringest heat of all time. Coughing Coffin and Japson_dope in the same heat. 1 foot trash in Asutralia!

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
There's a mass exodus of Native Hawaiians (younger generations) moving away from Hawaii. It's just not possible to live here for a lot of people. Median home price in Honolulu hit $883,000 in January 2021 with 20% of the inventory we had a year ago (SFH). It's sad, but it's the reality.

We've covered this in many other threads and it's happening in all nice places.
So the rich are parking cash in RE all over the World. What could go wrong?
Pretty much. i am lucky and am able to own a spot here but I too am thinking of packing it up and leaving.

Bunch of my friend have had enough and just said they are over it and sold everything and moved mainland.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There's a mass exodus of Native Hawaiians (younger generations) moving away from Hawaii. It's just not possible to live here for a lot of people. Median home price in Honolulu hit $883,000 in January 2021 with 20% of the inventory we had a year ago (SFH). It's sad, but it's the reality.

In some of the Caribbean islands I've heard they actually have laws against the foreign rich buying up all the housing supply. Being a third-gen Californian, I feel some of your pain.

Someday I'll tell the story of a Chinese couple from Shanghai buying a house on my street and renting it out to some people who made a lot of late-night exchanges (and broad daylight) and threats.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Here you go kool-aid even comes with sweet sound track to chill out and enjoy jah...
Funny. I was in Costco the other day and the Jerry Lopez boards were in stock along with the Wave Storms. Family was pointing, picking both up,seeing how they felt, carry, etc.
They picked 3 Wave Storms ...... because the the WS's, were cheaper ... :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
if you need a pro surfer for inspiration, maybe surfing is not the thing for you.
Webster's alternate definition of inspiring:

create (a feeling, especially a positive one) in a person.
"their past record does not inspire confidence"

Basic English vocabulary - as a teacher you should know this - using words in various ways, etc.

He's just not really that great to watch IMO.

Regardless-

If you were never inspired by someone's surfing you probably never surfed.
And if you never drew inspiration from someone's surfing you probably never surfed either.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
All this time I thought it was about living the dream. Getting paid to surf and you get a bunch of free stuff.
That's for influencers.

Pro surfing is about competitive drive.

The desire to be the best.

Breeding little competitive machines to become big competitive machines.

As one pro surfer recently put it, "(If the WSL dies) it will be the day surfing dies."

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Webster's alternate definition of inspiring:

create (a feeling, especially a positive one) in a person.
"their past record does not inspire confidence"

Basic English vocabulary - as a teacher you should know this - using words in various ways, etc.

He's just not really that great to watch IMO.
And I don't think a Mini/Dane edit would've fixed it.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Pretty much. i am lucky and am able to own a spot here but I too am thinking of packing it up and leaving.

Bunch of my friend have had enough and just said they are over it and sold everything and moved mainland.
Yeah some homies have moved to Florida, Texas, Oregon and buying beautiful homes for $500K (or LESS!) in good public school systems with a diverse economy. Hard to argue with all of that.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
All this time I thought it was about living the dream. Getting paid to surf and you get a bunch of free stuff.
Lived, The Dream. Never got a check.
Shorts, that eventually ripped out. Mahalo Duke Boyd and HangTen Surf Wear for being there.
Paid for my surfboards (Dewey Weber & etc)
Will be 75 in a few weeks. 60 years, in the ocean. Dusty trophies, six surfboards, 2 SUP's and a few paddles, pair of swim fins. Not much, in one's life after dedicating yourself to a "lifestyle".
These "young guns" hopefully, will have something to fall back on or they'll be sleeping under the 405 taking selfies and trying for a Go Fund Me page.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Lived, The Dream. Never got a check.
Shorts, that eventually ripped out. Mahalo Duke Boyd and HangTen Surf Wear for being there.
Paid for my surfboards (Dewey Weber & etc)
Will be 75 in a few weeks. 60 years, in the ocean. Dusty trophies, six surfboards, 2 SUP's and a few paddles, pair of swim fins. Not much, in one's life after dedicating yourself to a "lifestyle".
These "young guns" hopefully, will have something to fall back on or they'll be sleeping under the 405 taking selfies and trying for a Go Fund Me page.
Ho cuz! And you famous li dat?

I got boards from Ricky James, who you probably ran across in your South Bay days, at cost plus shaping fee (everybody paid shaping fee) and all the gear that was available back then at wholesale. Living the dream right there in the 204 bowl.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Yup. I knew Ricky James. Remember well one evening with Ricky and a few hundred more, hooting and drinking in the middle of the street in Hermosa when the U S of A landed on the moon.
Kenny Tilton, Larry Felker (RIP) Donald Takayama (RIP), etc were making $15.00 to $20.00 shaping per board with Jacobs surfboards in 1960. Good $$$ then I suppose when I was washing dishes for .75 cents an hour at the Hibachi Restaurant in Manhattan Beach and all the food I could cook and eat.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Coincidence... a buddy and I "rode for" Rick James Surfboards (got free boards) for about a year in 1974/1975.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Is this why Vegas housing is skyrocketing?:p

Reactions: racer1

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Coincidence... a buddy and I "rode for" Rick James Surfboards (got free boards) for about a year in 1974/1975.
Free? I’m trying really hard to remember anyone that got anything other than friendship for free from RJ. The gang at cost. Marlene wouldn’t have it any other way.

Who shaped? Billy’s brother? Shane’s dad? That would have been earlier. Who ran the shop? Mainline laminating then? Billy was a sander?

Reactions: VonMeister