Is Kanoa Igarishi the most uninspiring surfer in WSL history?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
They all surf way way better than I ever will, so not at liberty to take any shots here.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
He back paddled me once at pipes while testing a pile of new CI boards that I'm assuming they just picked up.I think this was the year he qualified. I burned him repeatedly after that so much so that his coach or board caddie or whoever it was filming him was waving at me from the beach and yelling at me to stop it when I would kick out and paddle back out.
What else never happened?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Every culture has good and bad components
doesn't matter what ethnicity you are anyone can be "hawaiian"
maybe not by blood but by heart/soul
Seems like this makes it easy to ignore the ongoing cultural and economic dispossession of the native polynesians from Hawai'i. I've met many in California. Fantastic people: I've worked for one, one worked for me. It seems they shouldn't be economically excluded from their homeland to live in a Godforsaken place like this.

Reactions: ehiunno

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I get what you're saying, but there's way more boring than that. He isn't sacrificing half the wave to set up one trick.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
2-3 years back, Kanoa beat Kelly in a heat and was interviewed after - said something to the effect that it would have meant more if Kelly wasn't so old. Kelly will still smash this kid in any waves of consequence.

And didn't kanao have all his tires slashed in Portugal not too long ago?

He surfs way beyond me - having said that, he either lacks leg strength or has the wrong boards.. too much board chatter.

Am I missing something with this guy? Never has someone made such great waves seem so boring (except the last clip he released maybe...)

This is actually not boring.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Kind of how I feel. I wish my turns were this boring.
This is not boring at all. Distinctive style, bent over, but from the hips rather than lower back flexion, although there is that too. Lots of double pumps. Seems to loosen up more in the softer waves with great speed generation. You will like the Ranch section llilibel.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
some found fanning boring cuz he didnt do an air reverse on every other wave

now most of the tour does

i prefer to watch mick

• Love
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What else never happened?
Hello Makaha Mundus. I hope things are well with you and your uncles on the Westside.

Same scenario but Kolohe never paddled out with Dane G late one afternoon a couple years ago and did what he could to stay away from he pack and was perfectly cool to surf with. Dane G not so much but holy sh!t he is levels beyond what he showed on tour. The WCT needs to stop trying to turn surfing into skateboarding and go back to scoring guys who can just absolutely destroy waves by linking turns along with doing airs. These stink bugs today are unwatchable.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Seems like this makes it easy to ignore the ongoing cultural and economic dispossession of the native polynesians from Hawai'i. I've met many in California. Fantastic people: I've worked for one, one worked for me. It seems they shouldn't be economically excluded from their homeland to live in a Godforsaken place like this.
There's a mass exodus of Native Hawaiians (younger generations) moving away from Hawaii. It's just not possible to live here for a lot of people. Median home price in Honolulu hit $883,000 in January 2021 with 20% of the inventory we had a year ago (SFH). It's sad, but it's the reality.

We've covered this in many other threads and it's happening in all nice places.
So the rich are parking cash in RE all over the World. What could go wrong?