Has surfing finally passed peak retardation?

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I paddled out last week on a shitty day at a shitty break, thinking I'd at least get some solitude. I waited and waited for a decent wave, thinking about how grateful I was that there was no one there to fight me for it. It finally came, and as I was taking off, two grown men I'd never seen before , who'd sort of snuck up behind me while I was enjoying the human-free view to the west, made to drop in on me and blocked my path, like right in my face. I was forced to choose between straightening out or running right over them. I chose the path of nonviolence, although I may have yelled a bit. Neither of them caught the wave. They told me they'd been surfing there for a long time and knew what they were doing, completely oblivious to how badly they'd screwed up.

I paddled to the next peak, which was occupied by some douche surf instructor and his three pupils, all of whom were sitting on their softtops facing the beach. They were totally in the way of anyone trying to catch a wave, and had zero chance of catching any waves themselves, butwhen I gently suggested that maybe they should be facing the waves, not the beach, because it's safer, they just looked at me with the blank uncomprehending stares of farm animals who have been presented with an algebra equation.

I am well and truly over it. I say there needs to be an outbreak of beatings, stabbings, tire slashings, unkind graffiti and maybe a murder or two, because at this point going surfing to try to have fun is a pointless endeavor. This is war.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
I paddled out last week on a shitty day at a shitty break, thinking I'd at least get some solitude. I waited and waited for a decent wave, thinking about how grateful I was that there was no one there to fight me for it. It finally came, and as I was taking off, two grown men I'd never seen before , who'd sort of snuck up behind me while I was enjoying the human-free view to the west, made to drop in on me and blocked my path, like right in my face. I was forced to choose between straightening out or running right over them. I chose the path of nonviolence, although I may have yelled a bit. Neither of them caught the wave. They told me they'd been surfing there for a long time and knew what they were doing, completely oblivious to how badly they'd screwed up.

I paddled to the next peak, which was occupied by some douche surf instructor and his three pupils, all of whom were sitting on their softtops facing the beach. They were totally in the way of anyone trying to catch a wave, and had zero chance of catching any waves themselves, butwhen I gently suggested that maybe they should be facing the waves, not the beach, because it's safer, they just looked at me with the blank uncomprehending stares of farm animals who have been presented with an algebra equation.

I am well and truly over it. I say there needs to be an outbreak of beatings, stabbings, tire slashings, unkind graffiti and maybe a murder or two, because at this point going surfing to try to have fun is a pointless endeavor. This is war.

It's all good Poo baby

talk to Randy, he will point you in the right direction.

Keep surfing, stay stoked, stay Happy!

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
It's all good Poo baby

talk to Randy, he will point you in the right direction.

Keep surfing, stay stoked, stay Happy!
I hear that song in my head every time I surf Malibu. That and Let's Have a War by Fear.

Randy has a super high tolerance for some of the tomfoolery at that spot.

I dunno.

And I just watched the video - I was at that show. It was a corker. I was also at the original Black Flag show there in 1979. That one was a shitshow, but a really fun shitshow.

Damn, I am old.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Adapt or find a new lifestyle. You're fired up but the comments above were ultra dumb. More stabbings, beatings and slashings? Murder??? Okay.:loser:

Last edited:

skullver

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 28, 2010
the tube

I hope that works out for you. Actually, If you are paddling out at spots where there are surf schools happening around you, expecting someone that has 5 minutes of ocean experience, and 30 minutes of pop ups on the sand to somehow understand how sensitive washed up surfers are....you should probably redefine your objectives.

Last edited:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
How do we make surfing uncool? Since marketing guys are responsible for its popularity, any marketing type on here with ideas how to reverse the trend? What makes an activity lose popularity?
We need to start smokin and drinkin and wrasslin and brawlin and hasslin and oglin again, at the beach. Make it distasteful for the family unit to want to hang out.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You maybe should look up "hyperbole" and "exaggeration" in the dictionary.
I think you meant it. You want to see stabbings, slashed tires and more black vs red lee. Actually, I'm sure we all wanna see more black vs red lee :ban:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I think you meant it. You want to see stabbings, slashed tires and more black vs red lee. Actually, I'm sure we all wanna see more black vs red lee :ban:

Who doesn't want to see more Black Lee vs. Red Lee? What's the matter with you?

But what I really want to see more of is unkind graffiti. Actually, I think that 's going to be the name of my next band.

i_ride_spinnaz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 19, 2020
surfing at an always-crowded, filled-with-beginners spot, and then complaining about the crowd makes very little sense to me

even in the most crowded cities in CA, there are areas where you can escape the crowd if it bugs you that much. Otherwise, be aggressive, and find your spot out there, and rely on whatever tricks you've learned over the years to get your waves.

Obv that doesn't work as well out at Malibu, but that's cuz it's Malibu. I have a friend that always gets bitter when he gets burned out there.. and I'm like.. it's Malibu.. what did you expect? It's a free for all out there, and just like people will ruthlessly burn you out there, you have to be willing to do the same if the opportunity presents itself. The last time I lived in LA I didn't surf there once because it's a shitshow, and for me, that takes the fun out of it

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Sounds like Witchipoo needs to

A. surf somewhere else, without the crowds
B. move somewhere else with waves and less crowds\
C. be more aggressive and take the waves she wants
D. take up a new hobbie

Each year, I do one trip to SoCal to get some surf. I'm always amazed how anyone can deal with those crowds on a daily basis, but I do manage to get some waves.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
surfing at an always-crowded, filled-with-beginners spot, and then complaining about the crowd makes very little sense to me

even in the most crowded cities in CA, there are areas where you can escape the crowd if it bugs you that much. Otherwise, be aggressive, and find your spot out there, and rely on whatever tricks you've learned over the years to get your waves.

Obv that doesn't work as well out at Malibu, but that's cuz it's Malibu. I have a friend that always gets bitter when he gets burned out there.. and I'm like.. it's Malibu.. what did you expect? It's a free for all out there, and just like people will ruthlessly burn you out there, you have to be willing to do the same if the opportunity presents itself. The last time I lived in LA I didn't surf there once because it's a shitshow, and for me, that takes the fun out of it
not stoked on moving back there this week surfwise. have had it so good down here as far as crowds. been surfing virtually alone. having porto ptsd

i_ride_spinnaz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 19, 2020
not stoked on moving back there this week surfwise. have had it so good down here as far as crowds. been surfing virtually alone. having porto ptsd
ouch, I feel for you. My job is still up there so I'm up there once a week and head up super early so I can surf beforehand. I don't surf Porto tho, there's plenty of relatively empty(ish) beach right by there w/ occasionally fun-enough peaks. People just tend to congregate where the parking lots are. If I could only surf Porto and Malibu I'd probably lose my fuccin mind

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
ouch, I feel for you. My job is still up there so I'm up there once a week and head up super early so I can surf beforehand. I don't surf Porto tho, there's plenty of relatively empty(ish) beach right by there w/ occasionally fun-enough peaks. People just tend to congregate where the parking lots are. If I could only surf Porto and Malibu I'd probably lose my fuccin mind
yea ill venture away from porto every once in a while - a little south a little noth but weekdays pre work its pretty much the only option. been surfing there for a looooong time so even though its crowded I usually get my fill of waves..its just frustrating and it was getting super dangerous in the months leading up to me moving down here.

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz