Apple Watch + Dawn Patrol + Surfline

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
That's great.

Simply checking the tide tables is difficult and time consuming.

Apple Watch makes it so much easier.

Very cool.

Hopefully guys starting making work phone calls and doing Zoom meetings too.
It was only once and it was pretty impressive that you can be in the water, thousands of feet away from your phone and receive a call and talk into your wrist.

I dont check the tides prior to every surf so its nice to have that information readily available whenever i want to see it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It was only once and it was pretty impressive that you can be in the water, thousands of feet away from your phone and receive a call and talk into your wrist.
There is nothing better than being constantly connected.

I dont check the tides prior to every surf so its nice to have that information readily available whenever i want to see it.
Checking the tides was difficult before the Apple Watch.

I have no idea how people did it.

• Haha
Reactions: sussle and PRCD

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Do you guys use the standard band that comes with watch?
I bought another single loop one.

To the rest of the cantankerous old c!nts in here, you don't need to "be connected" while having it on :D I surf with a watch anyway, not because I tend to need to go out at a specific time, it's just habit. This gives me some nerdy stats that I have a look at afterward... because I'm a dork who likes data.

In addition, I leave my phone at home and also my wallet because I dont need those things when I have my watch with me. I have no friends, so no one calls me.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I dont have the luxury of surfing without a watch, unless its a weekend. I also like how the Apple Watch tracks how many calories you burn. Not sure how acurate that is, but its a cool feature.

We are all part Cyborg anyways.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There is nothing better than being constantly connected.

Checking the tides was difficult before the Apple Watch.

I have no idea how people did it.
I sort of just know what the tide is ping to be like without checking. just look at the sky at night every now and then.

its not too hard to figure out.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
The question is how cyborg do you want to be.

There is value in turning your mind off.
I know you're referring to Frost, but you're falsely claiming / strawmanning that owning this and surfing with it means that you're engaging with it.

In ancient times they had something called a "sun dial", don't see many people walking around with those either :D

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Mine is a couple versions old but you have to lock the watch to seal out water before you go in the ocean, so I don’t know how you would even interact with the watch out there. I wouldn’t want the version that has its own cell connection without being tethered to the phone. I do need a watch when I surf (almost always 30-60min during the workday) and usually wear my old gshock. There’s really only one spot I surf that has a cam, and then it is kinda fun to use the Surfline feature and be able to look at your rides later (I rarely remember to do this). But again, it’s nothing that you do on the watch in the water. The screen is locked on the watch face out there, until you unlock the watch back on land and it beeps and kinda tries to eject any water from the ports/speaker. Seems to work pretty well. I’ve even forgot to water lock it a few times (under a wetsuit sleeve) and it’s held up fine for 2years+.
Never heard of the dawn patrol app.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I wore an Apple Watch for a relatively mellow session and it said I burned like 800calories in 2hrs.

showed it to hunny bunny and told her to stfu that surfing doesn’t count as exercise.

she now encourages me to squeeze in a session whenever possible.

worth it.

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
I use my watch to sneak away while on lunch just wish my messages and phone calls actually popped up or told me I missed a call or text. Sometimes I get emergency calls from work but been lucky none have happened while surfing because I wouldn't have noticed them until I'm back to my vehicle.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I wore an Apple Watch for a relatively mellow session and it said I burned like 800calories in 2hrs.

showed it to hunny bunny and told her to stfu that surfing doesn’t count as exercise.

she now encourages me to squeeze in a session whenever possible.

worth it.
That is a beautiful story.

Reactions: MathDebater