Did Jordy just jump ship from his own board company?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I thought smith shapes was just a rebranding of G-force to bring it to the masses and make the boards more recognizable. Didn't someone say their US boards were being shaped in Costa Mesa??

With this move, I thought Jordy had finally settled down and selected his dad as the shaper he would forge a long-time work relationship with on boards. A move I thought would benefit his world title aspirations......something Aruka touched on earlier.

But I'm still curious what's going on here. Is he bringing more shapers into the fold with Smth shapes, will Timmy Patterson be Graham Smiths "ghostshaper" in So Cal, or is Jordy already looking for the next hot board model and slapping a SS lam on it?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Why do you think that is?
My guess is he's over-coached. Technically close to perfect, but so are most of the guys. He never had a stretch as a grom where he could just have fun surfing though. Colapintos have the same basic training ground, but no Dino sitting on their shoulder and you can see it when they're surfing, particularly in Hawaii (put another way, Griff killed Hawaii this winter, but I don't recall a single Kolohe clip from the same period).

You can see it in younger kids from Lowers too. So many insane surfers, but the ones who have figured out how to make it fun seem better set than the ones who just want to win contests (Jett Schilling vs. Kade Matson eg)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Not sure what side of the fence you’re saying Jett falls on but I can’t stand a single thing that kid puts out.

I think some of the vloggers on the n shore have the same upbringing issues as San Clemente.

surf industry chewed them up as groms with potential and spits them out as deadbeat awkward maladjusted 20-somethings. we would call them townies if they didn’t have a major sponsor for a brief stint.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I thought smith shapes was just a rebranding of G-force to bring it to the masses and make the boards more recognizable. Didn't someone say their US boards were being shaped in Costa Mesa??

With this move, I thought Jordy had finally settled down and selected his dad as the shaper he would forge a long-time work relationship with on boards. A move I thought would benefit his world title aspirations......something Aruka touched on earlier.

But I'm still curious what's going on here. Is he bringing more shapers into the fold with Smth shapes, will Timmy Patterson be Graham Smiths "ghostshaper" in So Cal, or is Jordy already looking for the next hot board model and slapping a SS lam on it?

why did they call it smth shapes? why not smith? sounds like they learnt spellin' frum da erbb!

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... But I'm still curious what's going on here. Is he bringing more shapers into the fold with Smth shapes, will Timmy Patterson be Graham Smiths "ghostshaper" in So Cal, or is Jordy already looking for the next hot board model and slapping a SS lam on it?
yeah, it is intriguing. There are a lot of possibilities from that single instagram post. You and others have outlined a few. He might not be bored with his smth, but just looking for that extra edge of some fresh designs. Alternatively Smth wants TP, but TP only agrees if he gets to build some boards for Jordy. Or Jordy is bored with his shapes - like every single other pro surfer lol - I think it was Phil Byrne who said part of his job was to keep his sponsored pro from getting bored. Its just that not every pro surfer gets the opportunity to sample shapes from outside their sponsor.

We are just going to have to wait and see.

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
My guess is he's over-coached. Technically close to perfect, but so are most of the guys. He never had a stretch as a grom where he could just have fun surfing though. Colapintos have the same basic training ground, but no Dino sitting on their shoulder and you can see it when they're surfing, particularly in Hawaii (put another way, Griff killed Hawaii this winter, but I don't recall a single Kolohe clip from the same period).

You can see it in younger kids from Lowers too. So many insane surfers, but the ones who have figured out how to make it fun seem better set than the ones who just want to win contests (Jett Schilling vs. Kade Matson eg)
Jett bugs the crap out of me. Thinks he can cuss at older guys in the lineup. Thinks he can paddle battle for waves. Thinks he's better than he is. Real attitude problem.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
really? are you sure? i think he is less relevant now. it's not like he's an essential worker like a Dr. or a Nurse or something. pro surfing has no real value. it's a luxury. funny how pro surfers are such fkn divas when in reality nobody really cares.
In the big scheme of things his interests, or what he says, may not be that popular. But in surfing, everything he does is news (IMO). As soon as he is surfing a new board it seems like everyone wants to know what he's riding (myself included).

Reactions: Mr J

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Haha!

That’s Nominative determinism right there for you! I.e: Name your daughter “destiny”, you shouldn’t be surprised she‘s destined for the stripper’s pole. Name your son Rupert, don’t be surprised he turns out to be an accountant or a pedo.

Name your SoCal kid “Jetttt”, don’t surprised if he’s a bit of a cnut surfer.