Did Jordy just jump ship from his own board company?

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Happens all the time but usually the actual shaper will put his logo on somewhere in addition to the board sponsor.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
So your theory is Tim Patterson is posting boards on his Instagram made by jordys dad?
Tim Patterson shaped a board under the Smith label, clearly. The thread's about whether not Jordy jumped ship off his own board company, not whether or not he's using his dad as the sole shaper for that board company.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Tim Patterson shaped a board under the Smith label, clearly. The thread's about whether not Jordy jumped ship off his own board company, not whether or not he's using his dad as the sole shaper for that board company.
Yeah- I read the thread title wrong. I thought we were talking shapers not the board brand.

Reactions: waxfoot

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Do you think the plan is for Jordy to add more shapers to Smith Shapes?

Or is he already tired of Grahams boards and he will be adding a Smith Shapes logo to different shapers boards now?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Way to out me jimmy. My poncho sponsor is gonna be pissed.

It seems like Jordy has never been satisfied with just one shaper for very long. I dunno if he was ever destined for a title but I kind of wonder if he may have had a shot had he stuck with one shaper instead of jumping around. Just looking at who's won titles recently, or even historically they have mostly had a long time relationship with one shaper.

I wonder how Italo feels w/ Timmy shaping boards for a threat like Jordy...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

It seems like Jordy has never been satisfied with just one shaper for very long. I dunno if he was ever destined for a title but I kind of wonder if he may have had a shot had he stuck with one shaper instead of jumping around. Just looking at who's won titles recently, or even historically they have mostly had a long time relationship with one shaper.

Jordy after watching stab in dark does not seem like guy who could rip riding a door ie: Curren, sl8'er, etc. Seems like shaper like Maurice Cole or Dave Parmenter tour pros now shapers could help him.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

I dunno, wasn't he on CIs for a few years? maybe he just doesn't have that x-factor/relentless hunger that world champs seem to. Mick really upped the game and it's kind of amazing that Parko got so serious training for a few years to win one. Poor Taj tried to emulate that, but couldn't quite get there. Must be tough to be so close. I think at this point, Jordy/Julian/Kolohe, are gonna have a tough time getting past JJF, Italo, and FunkyColdMedina.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I dunno, wasn't he on CIs for a few years? maybe he just doesn't have that x-factor/relentless hunger that world champs seem to. Mick really upped the game and it's kind of amazing that Parko got so serious training for a few years to win one. Poor Taj tried to emulate that, but couldn't quite get there. Must be tough to be so close. I think at this point, Jordy/Julian/Kolohe, are gonna have a tough time getting past JJF, Italo, and FunkyColdMedina.
And Colapinto and Robo.

Julian's done - no chance.

Jordy could still put it together, but odds are long.

Kolohe never had a chance.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
The beauty of IG is you can read comments to tell what's going on. Graham Smith posted the he's blessed to have the two forces joining together. TP is a great shaper, but is well overshadowed by Lost in SC. Smith is a great shaper, but doesn't have production capabilities in the US at any sort of scale. If you're a betting man, you'd put money on TP becoming the main man at Smith USA or something similar.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Are people really that into riding a board because it's Jordy's label? Maybe at the peak of Modern Collective, but in 2021 does Jordy really move the needle? I'd think more people want to ride a TP since he shapes for Italo...

Reactions: Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I thought Smith Shapes was just the label, not that all boards are shaped by Graham Smith (he has G-Force label).
On Smith site I think they already had a few shapes by other shapers or said something like, this board was inspired by so and so.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The beauty of IG is you can read comments to tell what's going on. Graham Smith posted the he's blessed to have the two forces joining together. TP is a great shaper, but is well overshadowed by Lost in SC. Smith is a great shaper, but doesn't have production capabilities in the US at any sort of scale. If you're a betting man, you'd put money on TP becoming the main man at Smith USA or something similar.
That would be a great fit if so. TP's build quality is top notch. Their shipping protocol could use some work but as far as fit and finish on PU boards the two I got from them last year were about as good as I've ever gotten.

I'm a fan of both Graham and Timmy's shapes although they are quite different. Hard to imagine two more opposite surfers than Italo and Jordy so it's not a surprise their boards are pretty dissimilar.

I don't think Kolohe has quite been able to match the talent of JJF, Gabe, Italo although I do think he's gotten a few harsh calls and should have at least a CT win or two by this point. I actually like his surfing and he definitely has improved each year since he got on tour. Jordy IMO has the talent and his surfing the past couple years has been as good as ever. Maybe he just isn't quite as hungry or the nerves get to him or something. For the guys who are right on the cusp like a Taj or Julian, Jordy, etc. it really could be just one or two mistakes throughout the year that separate them from the guy who takes it. Taking a bad wave or letting a good one go by and that's it. Heartbreak.

I know everyone bags on the WSL and I get it. I'm not a fan of the organization but I miss watching a good contest.