*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
If you were hitting the trail today, where would you start? And where would you be headed?
this time of year people start the AT...maybe do Florida Trail up to the base of the AT

I think The Hayduke or the CDT could be good right now if you had the right cold weather gear

You could do the desert section of the PCT now...I bet the Sierra season starts early this year
given the low rate of snowfall...if we get a strong end of season it could be a push

I have been looking at international treks a lot....there is a cross country trek in NZ (very wet),
the Tour du Mont Blanc, the british isles have some coastal treks where you stay in lodges,
kind of like what you'd do for the Compostela trek in spain

I'm keen to try some routemaking in Chile/Argentina....it's pretty bonkers out there

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Point Reyes in spring? Prepare for much windage.

Check the post date

Hey, no scaring Kento of typical spring winds. :p

I think The Hayduke or the CDT could be good right now if you had the right cold weather gear
There was something on Netflix (or was it some other service?) about hiking the Hayduke.

I was kinda bummed to see how much of it was on dirt roads.

I have a long term goal of doing this trail or this one....both?

Edit:

The movie, Figure it Out, was on Amazon Prime. I give it 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Hey, no scaring Kento of typical spring winds. :p

There was something on Netflix (or was it some other service?) about hiking the Hayduke.

I was kinda bummed to see how much of it was on dirt roads.

I have a long term goal of doing this trail or this one....both?

Edit:

The movie, Figure it Out, was on Amazon Prime. I give it 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.
I'm doing South Sierra High Route this summer

I have permits for two....

• Love
Reactions: crustBrother

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
A fellow teacher was in the service for many years and dropped some cold weather survival knowledge on me during our 5 mile night snowshoe. Snow cave building, survival fires, squatting on candles. Stocked for the new knowledge.

Reactions: afoaf

San Gabriel Valley local

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2002
San Gabriel Valley, CA
A couple weeks ago, right after state park campgrounds re-opened, I did a mid-week overnight at the Upper Moro primitive campground at Crystal Cove. Left the SGV mid-afternoon, did a remote work conference on the way down, picked up some food at the Newport Coast Trader Joe's on coast highway, checked in and hiked 4 miles up to the campsite before the sunset. Sunset and sunrise were killer, as were the fingers of morning fog creeping in below the campsite. I really like the trails and topography there. The super clean vault toilet was nice too lol. Lots of condensation, my single wall tarptent was drenched by morning. Anyway it was a good mental health getaway during the workweek.

Attachments

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
A couple weeks ago, right after state park campgrounds re-opened, I did a mid-week overnight at the Upper Moro primitive campground at Crystal Cove. Left the SGV mid-afternoon, did a remote work conference on the way down, picked up some food at the Newport Coast Trader Joe's on coast highway, checked in and hiked 4 miles up to the campsite before the sunset. Sunset and sunrise were killer, as were the fingers of morning fog creeping in below the campsite. I really like the trails and topography there. The super clean vault toilet was nice too lol. Lots of condensation, my single wall tarptent was drenched by morning. Anyway it was a good mental health getaway during the workweek.
What kind of shelter is that? It sort of reminds me of the DIY Bilgy Tarp Tent - but much nicer.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
that's a great pitch on the inner in the second photo

I just ordered a bivy to try...something for when it's cold and/or when it's buggy

not sure if I'm going to jive with it or not though

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
are you leaning back?

you're really supposed to almost hunch over your feet when descending

I shorten my poles and keep my palms on top to act as a bit of a surface for
me to offload weight to them

when you lean back, you risk knee injury...though it is a very natural reflex...
but it leads to heal strike and thus more energy traveling up heel to knee.

if you focus on forward foot strike and keeping upper body over knees/feet,
it is surprisingly low-effort
I'm into desert peakbagging so often I'm usually just doing what it takes to keep my feet from sliding out from under me on steep, loose descents that are often off-trail.

Never tried poles but I like to have my hands free for falls.

Also I'm generally alone, so being extra careful...small steps on the steep descents.

Does cycling keep your legs in shape for the trail?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I feel like cycling has helped a ton with stamina and powering up/down

you'll gain stability with poles...with good technique, you are practically a
quadraped.

the most recognizable benefit is reduced strain on knees on descents

you should look at trail runners and/or vibram soled shoes with deeper lugs
to help with purchase on slippery trails/surfaces....like decomposed granite
on top of granite slabs...I hate that sh!t.

moving to a minimal shoe with sticky sole paid dividends for me...reducing
the weight on your feet makes a big difference for long hikes trails with big
step-ups....the general adage is a pound off your feet is like taking five off your
back.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I feel like cycling has helped a ton with stamina and powering up/down

you'll gain stability with poles...with good technique, you are practically a
quadraped.

the most recognizable benefit is reduced strain on knees on descents

you should look at trail runners and/or vibram soled shoes with deeper lugs
to help with purchase on slippery trails/surfaces....like decomposed granite
on top of granite slabs...I hate that sh!t.

moving to a minimal shoe with sticky sole paid dividends for me...reducing
the weight on your feet makes a big difference for long hikes trails with big
step-ups....the general adage is a pound off your feet is like taking five off your
back.

Currently in these, probably the best boot I've ever owned. Epic traction, have used in deep snow too.

TBH I need the ankle support. I'm clumsy as hell.

Curious about the poles. What to buy?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
As far as boots go I have found Meindl to be the best. I just got the vakkum’s for hiking and survey work which have pretty awesome ankle support and not too heavy. I’ve been using their work boots called airstreams for awhile now. Awesome grippy vibram soles. They are pricey though

1614101067007.png