Bozeman real estate.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
We could hunt the San Juan Islands. Plenty of deer out there. No elk that I know of. Muzzleloader season would be my choice, way less people around.

Once the border opens we could look into hunting on Vancouver Island. That would be a serious adventure... frigging wolves, mtn lions, and bears roam the beaches and there are monster elk out there.

I'll let you pack out the whole thing if you want to! :monkey:
My uncle spends his summers cruising San Juan’s, gulf islands, straight of Georgia etc. waited at the border all summer in hopes it would open up but never did. We’ve talked about hunting in San Juan’s but he said access is a huge problem. Something about the state has incentives but no public access and gotta know a land owner to get private access. You ever hunted San Juan’s before?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
He needs to visit the piney woods in east texas. If not for the enlightenment at least for the barbecue.
what do you know about Big Bend NP?

there is supposed to be some good backpacking out there

I'm looking for Spring jaunts in the wider SW

Grand Canyon, Big Bend...

check out The Hayduke Trail

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
what do you know about Big Bend NP?

there is supposed to be some good backpacking out there

I'm looking for Spring jaunts in the wider SW

Grand Canyon, Big Bend...

check out The Hayduke Trail

Don’t know that area. I spent a little time around Kilgore, had a buddy from there that liked the Nam so much he went three tours. Crew chief on hueys. Craziest fvcker I have ever known but moderately sane by east texas standards. Maybe watch Deliverance again before you plan your trip.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Don’t know that area. I spent a little time around Kilgore, had a buddy from there that liked the Nam so much he went three tours. Crew chief on hueys. Craziest fvcker I have ever known but moderately sane by east texas standards. Maybe watch Deliverance again before you plan your trip.
you’re saying he should go for the potential relationships, and not to worry about the hiking?

unrelated to baffled wandering californians, did you ever hear of the book ‘chickenhawk’?
forgot who wrote it, but it’s about his time in VN, flying those things. scary stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
you’re saying he should go for the potential relationships, and not to worry about the hiking?

unrelated to baffled wandering californians, did you ever hear of the book ‘chickenhawk’?
forgot who wrote it, but it’s about his time in VN, flying those things. scary stuff.
I’ll check it out.

Maybe he can hook up with an ex Rangerette
I did.

We’re talking folks that check the obituaries, figure what kind of feed, liquor, and availability of muff at least second cousin grade are gonna be on offer to plan their day.

When you’ve had enough fun with that move on to Louisiana, an hour north of Shreveport. Crawfish and chicks with snake tattoos running up their legs to the nether regions.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
My uncle spends his summers cruising San Juan’s, gulf islands, straight of Georgia etc. waited at the border all summer in hopes it would open up but never did. We’ve talked about hunting in San Juan’s but he said access is a huge problem. Something about the state has incentives but no public access and gotta know a land owner to get private access. You ever hunted San Juan’s before?
just like surfing and fishing, good intel is tough to acquire and should not be dealt freely on public forums.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com

I read that book when I was 13. Great read. My dad was River Patrol Force. His outfit was 95% volunteer, so he was surrounded by the best of the crazy. He has lots of nutty stories.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Dad was a combat engineer in Vietnam. They cleared mines and roads and the as yet uncoined IED’s but they also “ pulled their own security” which meant everyone was armed to the teeth, no infantry coming to rescue if his squad was ambushed. Happened one time, one of my dads soldiers just plain froze in panic in the middle of the road they were sweeping. My dad had to jump out and pull him into the ditch. Carried an M-79 grenade launcher and a 911. He once blew up a tree hiding a sniper. Another time, Charlie liked to booby trap big felled trees in the middle of the road, using grenades. My dad set a counter-booby trap. Came back next morning. No body, no parts, just a big puddle of blood. Like everywhere.
he was offered a Field Commission which he declined. Didn’t want to make the military his career, and he was also probably becoming highly disillusioned with the war there and the BS from the politicians back home. The roots of his anarcho- libertarianism were born from that experience, not to mention the life long heart issues from swimming in Agent Orange for 18 months. Wasn’t until decades laters the gubmint finally admitted that poison not only denuded the jungle around many fire bases and FOB’s, but affected some half million veterans hearts. Had his first heart attack at 50. Then his low flow rate (forget the medical term) led directly to his death when stung by a very specific mud dauber in his backyard in Florida. Dude was just finally learning to be happy and cheerful. Only 70.surfing related, because we spread some of his ashes above the waterfall at the top of Waimea Canyon. Some other ashes we had loaded into 20 gauge shotgun shells, and my sister and I, along with some of his shooting buddies in and around Vero Beach, as we all said a few words of goodbye, and blasted his ashes over the quail holding thickets on a shooting preserve down in central FLA.

I want a Viking funeral, but tides and permits and who knows what else may prevent that dream.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've had my eye of this house for a while. In my price range. Just don't know what it would be like living a 30 minute drive to the nearest town. Obviously not a situation most would like because it's been on the market for a long time.

I fuckin love it.

Give me privacy, peace and quiet.

Downside is that it's at a dead end. Getting burned alive could be a problem. It hasn't sold for a reason.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Dad was a combat engineer in Vietnam. They cleared mines and roads and the as yet uncoined IED’s but they also “ pulled their own security” which meant everyone was armed to the teeth, no infantry coming to rescue if his squad was ambushed. Happened one time, one of my dads soldiers just plain froze in panic in the middle of the road they were sweeping. My dad had to jump out and pull him into the ditch. Carried an M-79 grenade launcher and a 911. He once blew up a tree hiding a sniper. Another time, Charlie liked to booby trap big felled trees in the middle of the road, using grenades. My dad set a counter-booby trap. Came back next morning. No body, no parts, just a big puddle of blood. Like everywhere.
he was offered a Field Commission which he declined. Didn’t want to make the military his career, and he was also probably becoming highly disillusioned with the war there and the BS from to politicians back home. The roots of his anarcho- libertarianism were born from that experience, not to mention the life long heart issues from swimming in Agent Orange for 18 months. Wasn’t until decades laters the gubmint finally admitted that poison not only denuded the jungle around many fire bases and FOB’s, but affected some half million veterans hearts. Had his first heart attack at 50. Then his low flow rate (forget the medical term) led directly to his death when stung by a very specific mud dauber in his backyard in Florida. Dude was just finally learning to be happy and cheerful.
Sounded like a legend of a man. So sorry he left this world too soon. Peace.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
he was offered a Field Commission which he declined. Didn’t want to make the military his career, and he was also probably becoming highly disillusioned with the war there and the BS from to politicians back home. The roots of his anarcho- libertarianism were born from that experience, not to mention the life long heart issues from swimming in Agent Orange for 18 months. Wasn’t until decades laters the gubmint finally admitted that poison not only denuded the jungle around many fire bases and FOB’s, but affected some half million veterans hearts. Had his first heart attack at 50. Then his low flow rate (forget the medical term) led directly to his death when stung by a very specific mud dauber in his backyard in Florida. Dude was just finally learning to be happy and cheerful.
do the germans have a word for surreal tragic absurdity...cuz, like, we need one to replace the word "life"

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not sure what that had to do with Bozeman real estate.. but my respect for your dad and condolences you lost him early. Fractional flow reserve might be the medical term you're looking for- difference in flow between a normal healthy heart and one with disease.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yes that sounds like the term. And oddly enoough, mud daubers, not an actual member of the wasp or hornet family, contain a venom that latches onto red blood cells. So when these giant oversized red blood cells plus dauber venom tried to enter his heart, no dice. Wouldn’t have survived even if there was an ambulance in the driveway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Not sure what that had to do with Bozeman real estate.. but my respect for your dad and condolences you lost him early. Fractional flow reserve might be the medical term you're looking for- difference in flow between a normal healthy heart and one with disease.
There were a couple of Vietnam war references further up, about Huey pilots during the war. Like threads NEVER get off topic around here :roflmao: