The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
4/3 psycho1 TB3 is a quality suit about half a season in. I swear the calves started out baggy and then tightened up but maybe it was all the dead lifts I didn’t do over the holidays. super flexible, plenty durable and warm enough for socal.

4/3 quicksilver high line plus is 1 season in and still crazy warm no leaks. stiffer but warmer than the psycho1. I use it when up north but not quite 5/4 territory.

5/4 mutant, old enough to not be techno anything but still going strong. use it for trips only and mostly lives on a hanger but does the job well anytime it’s put to the test.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Wetsuit Update:

Oneil Mutant with TB3:

Second season but only comes out when temps are in 40's so it's not a full time suit.

Extremely comfortable and the most flexible 4/3 I've worn. Not a single leak yet at all. Hood is a tad big for my small head so water comes in on hard falls and thrashings. I don't think it's the warmest suit available out there but it's plenty for the colder dawn mornings down here. Since the suit has loosened up over time, I have to cinch the chest zip strap down or water seeps in through the side. Not bad, just have to watch it. Overall a great suit and I would buy again. May consider a hyperfreak next time since I tend to get too warm sooner than I'd like for a fair amount of sessions.

The bad: The ankle has a tear in the techo butter 3 so I will have to get that repaired. Same thing happened to my buddy's mutant.

Feral 4/3 (no hood)

First season.

Good: Silkly smooth neo that's easy to get on and off and is really comfortable on the skin. Warm (warmer than my mutant) but not by a lot. The suit is really light and does not asbsorb much water at all. Dries in the garage in one day. There is no liner or smooth skin but the wind does not penetrate the suit.

Bad: First season it seeps a little bit of water. I wouldn't consider them leaks but it's not completely water tight. Even through the neck seems to fit good, I get occasional flushes on duck dives and significant falls. Not sure how long this suit will hold up without leaks. One part of the seems is splitting slightly but I don't notice a leak in that area. Will definitely send in before warranty is up. Suit is significantly stiffer than the oneil. Not horrible, just not as flexible as TB3 material. Would I buy again? Probably not.

Hope this helps for anyone thinking about these two suits.

I'm on my third oneil since coming back to them after a long haitus and I am really impressed overall
You can order a smaller Mutant hood on the Oneill website.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Picked up a Hyperfreak 4+ to compliment a 5+ on BF for a tasty deal. On initial inspection so light and buttery and thin. I don't know why, but I always feel a big difference between a 4 mill and 5? More so than say a 4 and 3. Anyways... didn't think I'd be popping the tags on this suit until Spring, but gave it a go with a hooded rash guard vest thingy in order to save my 5 for a planned dawnie next am. I was pleasantly surprised how warm it was. Overcast, a bit of wind, and water temp around 51 and nice to have a bit more of flexibility. :cool:

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Am I missing something of is O'Neill only making the mutant in 3.5/4.5 now? Bro, that extra 0.5 mm is too much!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm starting my hunt for a new wetsuit top for the summer. It seems like most brands don't have a waist cinch which is a deal breaker for me.
I'm all ears for other brands with waist cinches.
Imperial Motion top on sale from evo.com last summer. Real nice. Cinch plus it even has a rear mini zipper over your tramp stamp.

Reactions: MathDebater

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Who has wetsuits in stock these days? Isurus is all sold out, Matuse is all sold out, Feral is all sold out...

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Hyperfreak 4/3mm - the best paddling wetsuit I've ever had. Price point is right. Will be buying more of these

May 20, 2020
Picked up a Hyperfreak 4+ to compliment a 5+ on BF for a tasty deal. On initial inspection so light and buttery and thin. I don't know why, but I always feel a big difference between a 4 mill and 5? More so than say a 4 and 3. Anyways... didn't think I'd be popping the tags on this suit until Spring, but gave it a go with a hooded rash guard vest thingy in order to save my 5 for a planned dawnie next am. I was pleasantly surprised how warm it was. Overcast, a bit of wind, and water temp around 51 and nice to have a bit more of flexibility. :cool:
Whats BF?